Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating in 15 minute run session

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I know matt lives in glenshire would be nice to just drop off and pick up when done but not in my budget ...
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like some others have said I would try and find where the problem is. The temp on mine rarely gets above 9 pm on track and only have one cooler. Do you run with the undertray on?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like the oil thermostat is not operating correctly. Watch the temp gauge in the car as it warms up, it should rise to around the third line (25% of the range) then drop off as the stat opens. If you dont see this drop and the temp keeps rising it points to stat needed to be replaced.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could this be as simple as a faulty temp gauge, where does the needle sit when your just driving on the road.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
tahoelife
Racer

When driving around town the temp sits between 8-9 and will drop with fan on, as far as the thermostat goes my front fender get hot so shouldn't that prove its working? I think the idea of a laser temp reader to test all the locations is a good idea so think I will try that today
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1^ Have you checked to see if your oil cooler is clean and free flowing for air? Not all gunked up with oil residue and dust? I'd look at the obvious stuff before buying mods, as it doesn't sound normal.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is possible for the front wing to get warm but the stat may be partially open and not able open fully. Spoiler raising and curtain working ok?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
+1^ Have you checked to see if your oil cooler is clean and free flowing for air? Not all gunked up with oil residue and dust? I'd look at the obvious stuff before buying mods, as it doesn't sound normal.
I'm 100% with Tom on this, if indeed the thermostat is functioning properly.

If oil is flowing properly throughout (i.e. a line to or from the cooler is not pinched) the entire system, then the answer seems obvious, it's not being cooled enough to cope with track use.

At your ambient temps you should have virtually zero heat issues.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
tahoelife
Racer

I had reno rennsport install all new lines from motor to tank and from t-stat up to the cooler (yes the $480 per line ones) and had them replace the fan temp switch and "inspect" it all I would hope that since they were doing that they would have checked the cooler for air flow I plan on looking myself tonight after work will report back thank you to all for the input !!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Sorry to hear that you haven't found the source of the problem. And thanks again for the tow back from Laguna Seca!

After our talk about this, I thought that if it wasn't blockage by the fins on the pistons, then it could be blockage of airflow over/through the oil cooler. The AC and oil coolers are "stacked" in the front right fender. It's pretty easy to remove the front wheel well cover and inspect the two coolers (radiators). When I replaced all of my oil lines the oil cooler was very clogged up. And the same day at Laguna I was running temps about 10 o'clock on the gauge, a full section below red.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Ok so the update is that I am odering a new T-stat just because... and I pulled off the oil cooler fan and fron grill to gain better access to the cooler and did find some grime so soaked it in pb penttrating oil and then took to the local pressure washer and cleaned it hoping this makes it better. I have also discovered i think I am missing part of the "air foil" on the rear c2 wing is it supossed to "close off" or is there supossed to be a 1" gap at the top near the "wing"? Thanks to all for the help so far...

@ Brain your so very welcome and I hope your car is back to the correct amount of fuel !!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a curtain that closes off the gap, # 11 in the picture, is that what you are referring too?

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You say you're on a budget but you keep buying parts, like oil lines and a thermostat, without diagnosing what's actually causing the problem. Not smart.

Regarding the thermostat, you don't need to spend hundreds on an entire unit. You can just buy the internal wear items for $40 and swap them out yourself. Piece of cake. Lots of threads on this in the archives.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Yes the curtain seems to be missing one or two strips along the edge closest to the wing looks like two thirds of it is fine? As far as spending money on parts I did the lines in the fal after saving up for them and replaced them for leaking not for the over heat issue and I am buying just the internal part of the t stat. Mainly I just can't afford to pay someone else to chase the issue. I am hopeful the cleaning of the cooler combined with maybe a partially stuck t stat does it. Along with maybe the rear curtain issue?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Regarding the thermostat, you don't need to spend hundreds on an entire unit. You can just buy the internal wear items for $40 and swap them out yourself. Piece of cake. Lots of threads on this in the archives.
I tackled this a couple years back. It's scary seeing high temps with these engines! 11 o' clock?!
More pictures if it helps: https://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/ThermoSil#

Quick Reply: Overheating in 15 minute run session