Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking out this '89 C4 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the response, they ran a compression test. Does their response seem legit or not? I guess they didn't do a leak down test. If what he is saying that putting some miles could fix that first cylinder I'd be ok, but I could still use that as a negotiation point for the final price. Should I say that I need a leak down test to check if that cylinder is ok?

Just as a reminder, this car has not really been driven since last fall, aside from out little jaunt on Monday. *Having said that the compression test yielded the following results:

Cyl#1 135 psi

Cyl#2 143 psi

Cyl#3 155 psi

Cyl#4 149 psi

Cyl#5 157 psi

Cyl#6 153 psi

Porsche Specs say the cylinders should be with 10 psi of each other. *With the exception of Cyl#1, this holds true. *Cyl#1 may need just a simple valve adjustment to correct this. *Our Master Tech James (you met him on Monday) believes this discrepancy may also exist because the car hasn't been run that much in the last couple of months and may just need some road time to relieve carbon build up in that particular cylinder. *At present we are thinking some fresh gas, an oil change and a few miles will correct this problem. *If not we are prepared to adjust the valve.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not out the relm of possible. It shouldn't take a whole lotta of miles get have a good seal in the engine. True the first thing to always look at is the difference between cylinders. Low readings that are even could be the guy doing, the guage, something else. The numbers are a little low, I like to see them closer to 180-200 psi. A leak down at this point might yield more conclusive findings. I'd like to see a leak down at least in that low hole. A valve out of adjustment could in fact give a little lower or higher reading. Carbon build up should raise the pressure unless it's a piece of cabon holding a valve open.

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker just yet, may a second opinion may be in order.

Fresh gas, oil, a few miles isn't probably going to change anything significantly. Did you hear this car run at all. Did it sound like a loose or tight valve?

My guess is they are trying, but are just a clueless as anyone at this point. Moreover, they don't want to spend anymore than needed on it.

Last edited by Makmov; 02-22-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

I drove the car around 10-15 miles and it sounded good to me, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a 964 expert.

I think I'll request a leak down to see how they're doing from another perspective.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
dkcaims
Racer

Originally Posted by vtrich
10 - 15% leakdown might be acceptable, but for a low mileage car I'd think you should expect single digits. 4 - 8% would is what I'd expect,...well,...hope for.

Spoke to my mechanic this afternoon and he also mentioned single digits would be ideal...
Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

I sent them an email asking for a leak down test so hopefully they'll be able to do that and get some <10% results.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by dkcaims
Spoke to my mechanic this afternoon and he also mentioned single digits would be ideal...
Oh yeah, single digits numbers are always the best like 5%, but realistically 10-15 maybe up to 20% then you start to worry.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

They drove it 168 miles over the weekend, had no issues, re-ran compression and got the following results, only a 9psi variation, so a lot better this time.

Cly#1 147 psi
Cly#2 153 psi
Cly#3 155 psi
Cly#4 154 psi
Cly#5 156 psi
Cly#6 154 psi
Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them do a wet compression check to see if it has worn rings or valve seats. Spray a little oil in through the spark plug hole.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
RobMc
Instructor

Check out www.rpmvt.com that would be a good place to get a ppi done. They are right off rte 7 in vergennes.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awe man....read through all of the questions and advice.....and no conclusion?!

I still see the car on the dealer site.

kingcrowing, did you take a pass on the car?!

RobMc: they've got some serious toys at RPM !! wow.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

Kingcrowing: Pop $50 for a Carfax if one not done already. The bi-annual registrations list the cities where registered and the mileages. At least it'll tell you if odometer mileage is correct. It may elucidate some other things too.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 AM
RobMc
Instructor

Originally Posted by danspach
awe man....read through all of the questions and advice.....and no conclusion?!

I still see the car on the dealer site.

kingcrowing, did you take a pass on the car?!

RobMc: they've got some serious toys at RPM !! wow.
Yeah its a heaven for a carnut I bought a Mondial from them this winter and they just went through it and it runs fantastic.
Kingcrowing another place for a ppi is in manchester about 30 miles south of rutland its called Manchester engine works I had them check out a 73 911 I was looking at.

Quick Reply: Checking out this '89 C4 tomorrow