Sponsored by:

Windshield Seal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 AM
jhy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Seal Problem

Does any one know by about how much the windshield seal over laps the body?

I had my windshield and seal replaced about a month ago. At first i noticed the seal sitting away from the old seal line but figured it might be nothing. It over laps the body about 1/16" in certain areas. However, a month later, the top corners of the seal are starting to shrink and fall into the channel.

The installer is just recommending to just use some urethane at the corners to keep it from falling in the channel. Not sure if i want this done.

Im not sure if the seal is oem and im pretty sure the windhield is not oem.
But im assuming the installer is just going to say the seal is oem..

Any one have this problem? is it ok to just put the urethane to keep it help up?
thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhy
Does any one know by about how much the windshield seal over laps the body?

I had my windshield and seal replaced about a month ago. At first i noticed the seal sitting away from the old seal line but figured it might be nothing. It over laps the body about 1/16" in certain areas. However, a month later, the top corners of the seal are starting to shrink and fall into the channel.

The installer is just recommending to just use some urethane at the corners to keep it from falling in the channel. Not sure if iwant this done.

Im not sure if the seal is oem and im pretty sure the windhield is not oem.
But im assuming the installer is just going to say the seal is oem..

Any one have this problem? is it ok to just put the urethane to keep it help up?
thanks in advance.
I have exactly the same issue. The seal was replaced when the glass was renewed. I just noticed recently that the top corners are not quite staying put and a slight gap is opening up. Mine was fitted last July. I fully intend to go back to the installer to rectify this as it just can't be correct.
I know that no sealant was used during the installation of mine so I'm reluctant to get it too wet.

Thomas
Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I understand it, replacement screens are generally very slightly smaller than the original factory-fitted ones. This effect is therefore not unusual, and you can get little fillets to insert under the edge of the seal specifically for this problem.

I used a bit of Blu-tak on mine. It has worked perfectly.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

Blu-tak you say! Sounds like a simple enough fix then if blu-tak gets the job done.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Yep blue-tak will work....

You call it a windshield so I'm thinking your in the states??

Porsche screens are now made by Pilkington's that bought out sigla/sekurit
And these are the best screen to fit to your 964 but they can still come out small even from factory and it's best to fit a original rubber for obvious reasons but I have recently got hold of some non Porsche rubbers that are spot on, but saying that I have seen some non Porsche rubbers that have been fit for the bin!!

Fit wise you need to get it central in the apiture as you can fit them over to one side just a tad and then you will get the gap like your saying you have in the corner...but I've seen this on original screen to so it might not be your installer just a contribution of the things I have said above, when I fit a 964 screen I always seal them with a 3m sealant and the marks around the edge is just the rubbing marks where the rubber sits and moves with the car over time & before you install the screen a bit of compound/polish always helps...

I think 964russ on this forum is in the same game as me and might chime in if he's near you???

Ps urethane sealant is for the bonded screen 993/996/997 etc...don't seal it with that!!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a heck of a problem replacing my windshield. Prior to a complete repaint I removed all the windows. I had to cut the rubber seals on all windows to get the glass out and then cut, scrape, prime, etc. It was alot of work. I ordered all new seals from Vertex. All the seal were genuine Porsche with the exception of the windshied. I installed the rear and 2 quarter windows without a problem. When it came to the front windshield, the glass and seal would not fit the frame. The seal seemed too fat and in the end I broke the glass. I then took it to an auto glass shop and they used a Sigla glass and the same seal but they too could not get it in and as a result broke the glass. I then ordered a new genuine Porsche seal and the next new Sigila went in without a probem and the seal fits perfect all around. I telephoned Vertex and they reimbused me and told me to throw away the seal.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue on my recently replaced factory Porsche glass and seal. Too bad the insurance company would not let me install the 993 windscreen and seal which costs less.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 PM
jhy
Intermediate

Thanks guys. So im guessing it is something that just needs to be rigged up. Kinda odd!
Also, I have the Pilkington glass. I had no idea that was OEM, but great, that is good news!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
VR6-er
Racer

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have the same issue on my recently replaced factory Porsche glass and seal. Too bad the insurance company would not let me install the 993 windscreen and seal which costs less.
Whay would you want to fit a 993 screen, is the 993 a better fit?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by VR6-er
Whay would you want to fit a 993 screen, is the 993 a better fit?

The PET shows that the 993 seal is a two piece assembly. Wonder what the installation is like?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey you've opened a can of worms.... I'll let you tell....
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The PET shows that the 993 seal is a two piece assembly. Wonder what the installation is like?
One is a seal one is a molding.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

You need...

Inner trim
Outer trim
Windscreen
Bonding kit

Geoffrey will tell you the pro's/cons
Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive fitted 2 964 screens in the past few weeks, 1 a sigla (oe) and 1 a pilkington.
Both fitted perfectly.
There was an issue with sum cheap copys that didnt fit (mega small), loads of problems years ago.
Allso if its small it may be a 3.2 screen, there smaller due to the rubber being bigger.

I fitted a 993 screen in my car, theres been a few threads on it before.

"Fuch" your right i fit glass in cars for a living.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964russ
Ive fitted 2 964 screens in the past few weeks, 1 a sigla (oe) and 1 a pilkington.
Both fitted perfectly.
There was an issue with sum cheap copys that didnt fit (mega small), loads of problems years ago.
Allso if its small it may be a 3.2 screen, there smaller due to the rubber being bigger.

I fitted a 993 screen in my car, theres been a few threads on it before.

"Fuch" your right i fit glass in cars for a living.
You have pm

Quick Reply: Windshield Seal Problem