Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange spoil function...she's gone limp on one end.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange spoil function...she's gone limp on one end.

Ok, first off I am new to the 964 as this is the first one I have ever owned. I own a couple 944's, a 914/6 and an early 911 - so the automatic spoiler is a new gadgit for me. Stats: 1990 C4 with 101K on the odometer. The car has been running and functioning flawless since my purchase/pick-up of the car 6-weeks or so ago. The car runs, performs, handles and otherwise tingles all my senses.

However, this morning on my short sprint to the office I noticed in the rear view mirror that the spoiler, although functioning properly at 40-mph, drooping and vibrating just a tad on the passesnger side (it was not sitting level in its up position). I hadn't noticed this before, as all the other times I looked in the rear view mirror the spoiler was up and sitting level with no vibration. Once I got to the office, it lowered as it should once I dropped below 40-mph. I have yet to look under the lid and/or try to trouble shoot the problem...as I wanted to send out a quick "has this happened to anybody else..." post on Rennlist in prep for finding and correcting the issue.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 90 C2 for a short time with the same problem. Incorrect hardware on that side.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Do you remember what failed and is the correct hardware availabe? Easy DIY fix or is this a shop fix?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Makmov
Drifting

should be easy to fix. Just a matter of opening the lid with the spoiler deployed and replaceing the hardware, if that is what is wrong. However, I sold the car before getting the correct hardware. Ordered one that was also wrong. But whatever the PO put in there was just a bolt and needs to have a bolt with a shoulder on it so it was loose and sloppy. IIRC, the new owner did say he got it fixed, finally.

I was much more fond of my C4.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yep, the shoulder bolt on the passenger side is missing. Obviuously it was either the wrong bolt and did not fit properly, thus falling out OR the original came loose and fell out. Bolt(s) will bne on order soon. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Makmov
Drifting

there is a little spring washer that should go there too.

Quick Reply: Strange spoil function...she's gone limp on one end.