Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for first P-Car, is the 964 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
What a great thread, I am in the exact same boat, and have yearned for a 911 for years, now at 42 this year is the one I will pull the trigger.
My problem is I change my mind on cars and really haven’t had one in the past that I truly loved and wanted to keep. Yet all along I still wanted a 911.
For me the 964 is the perfect silhouette of the 911 (I do however like the 997 and 991), whilst the 993 might be the last great air-cooled Porsche I just don’t like the look of it, it just looks weak compared to the 964.

Other than taking/collecting my son/daughter to the odd sports game the car wont be the primary family transport, so it will be my car, in the summer I cycle to work so it will be used for fun, and they in the winter I need a DD. I’d also like to run the odd track day and use it as it was designed, but really only 1-2 a year.

So my dilemma is sell my current 4x4 and but a 996 Turbo and use it all year (I live in the Midwest so we get a fair amount of snow), or my heart says keep the 4x4, buy a nice 964 C2.

I haven’t driven either but I weigh them up as:
996 Turbo
+’ves: only need 1 car (I don’t have a huge garage and have motorcycles as well!), more modern car, should be more reliable, cheaper to service. Is hyper fast!, and they are at the point where a good ones values should stabilize or rise. An incredible car for the money, more comfortable should I take the family out every now and then. Can sell my 4x4 so as a total will be cheaper.
-‘ves: It’s about the best looking 996 but I am still not totally sold, 4WD isnt a totally pure driving experience, I worry using it daily especially all winter will slightly bore me of it, ie it wont be so special to drive it.

964 C2
+’ves: it looks stunning, I want a grey one with Black cup wheels…., is a pure old school Porsche, not my DD so driving and looking after it will be more special. I like fiddling with bikes and cars so looking after it and fixing it for me will be part of the fun. Not too crazy fast to get me in trouble. Something I can keep and cherish. Will only grow in value if cared for.
-‘ves: Will need to but a lift for my garage to store it in winter (though I like the idea of having one for the practical side of working on the car), it’s a 20 yr old car, it’s going to inevitably be a labor of love and money!

I haven’t had much driving time in either car, so I appreciate they will feel very different, anyone had any experience of both that can comment, I’d be really interested in the groups views.

thanks
I own both and they are very different cars. I love both of them. My 996TT is my daily driver all winter included. My 964 (C4 Cab) was also a daily driver for more than 3 years. The 996TT is probably the more bullet proof reliable daily driver. It is incredibly fast (flash and exhaust) and really works well every day. That said, it is clear Porsche put more heart into the earlier cars. The build quality and fit / finish of the 964 is far superior to the 996. As my mechanic says, the 964 was built to last, the 996 is disposable.

Do keep in mind that the 964 typically will require more attention. Mine has been amazing over the past 12 years. Alas the oil leaks got pretty bad. I will never sell the car, so I had a full reseal/3.8L re-build. I pick it back up next week and can hardly wait. Writing the check, however, I could.

I love owning both, so I recommend that!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Love my 964; the best car I've ever owned.

It's like a spoiled girlfriend, however. If you can live with it, no problem, but be sure you know what you're getting into.

The mileage sucks ***. I get around 17mpg. If I baby it, I can get 22, but really, what would be the point? Spin it!

It needs work. These are aging machines, and though quite well designed and robust 20 year old plastic is getting tired. Seals, hoses, etc (there are a LOT of them and they can be *stupid* spendy) will all need monitoring and possibly replacement. Personally, if I couldn't do all my own work I would not be able to afford the car. Sure, the entry point is completely accessable, but can you pay Hans and Fritz $100 an hour for a valve adjustment every 15k? Figure $6-800 for that, if you have it serviced.

Not trying to scare you away, far from it- the Porsche is built to a radically different standard than anything I've ever owned. It was designed and built by guys who love cars, built to be driven hard, and built to be kept. No one at Porsche (that generation Porsche, anyway....) ever said, "Well, they'll only keep the car 5-7 years at the most so it won't matter if we use a cheaper XYZ." Honestly, even going down the highway with the cruise on is a different experience; it does whatever you ask with this straightforward businesslike competence. Amazing, really.
+1 Completely agree with these words
Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default not car related I guess

Jim Richards you sure do have one of the better avitars out there ....
Make me want to start drinking beer once again
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

It's my pleasure to provide such an important public service.

Quick Reply: Looking for first P-Car, is the 964 right for me?