Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here & need a bit of advice..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here & need a bit of advice..

Hi, new here and have been enjoying these great forums from over here in Hong Kong.

Hoping for a bit of advice - trying to decide between a 964 and 993. I have a slight preference for the 964 for it's classic looks. However, still a couple of questions remain;

* Decent Aircon is important here in Hong Kong - is there much difference for between the 964 and 993 a/c (either one more powerful or reliable)?

* They are both around the same price here in Hong Kong (964 is rarer and seen as more classic) - i guess this makes the 993 better value here than else where?

* The 993 is newer but is it still regarded as a "classic" compared to the newer water cooled models?

* I heard there are some oil leak issues with the earlier 964's - are these safe to buy if engine rebuilt? And any similar problems to look out for with any production years of 993?

* Any other pros / cons I should consider?

Apologies for the laundry list of questions and tks in advance for any advice
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do a good search - this is a topic that's been discussed MANY times - some love the classic 964 look - some want the more powerful 993 engines and better rear suspension.

Both cars are old now and will have issues if not maintained - leaks in the 964 - valve guides in the 993.

At this point - unless you MUST have more power and better rear suspension - I'd choose based on looks and CONDITION more than anything.

I'd take a fully sorted '89 over a ratty, worn-valve guide, check-engine-light-on '97 just about every day of the week. But that's me - not you. ; )

RK
Old 02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aircon works in a 964. Porsche finally got it right.

993 are generally more money elsewhere. So if you can get a 993 for 964 money that is a pretty good deal.

I don't think so, some people have a hard time calling the 964 a classic 911.

Depends on what you want.

The only real complaint about the 993 is it doesn't feel as connected to the road or as raw as the 964.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rebuilt the AirCon in my 964 this year. Now with a new evaporator it is as cold as ever. In either car it's a difficult rebuild, (expensive if you have to pay shop time) but I would expect both to be sufficient if the systems are in good repair. Leaks in the evaporator tend to cause dust and debris to build up on the evaporator in an oily funk, causing a loss of thermal efficiency.

I understand the 993 lines have the appropriate internal coating to eliminate 134A evaporation. The earlier cars were built for R12, but can handle the newer gas for the most part... may leak a little over time.

As with either car, the seals in the A/C get old, dry and begin to leak after a while. Any car would at this age.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Thanks for the advice guys - very useful.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
I am living same country as you and owning a 964 for a while.

I understand A/C is really important here in summer. BTW, if a 964 or 993 A/C system both are in order, it should be not a problem. However, minor or serious leakage of freon is common.

For decide between 964 or 993, both are good to be a keeper. Depends your preference on the look. 993 more modern, 964 stick to classic. Both are good performance sport car. 964 feeling raw and 993 tend to comfort. I think you better find one in good condition more than compare which model is better than the other. A good example of 993 usually call for a higher price that a 964 generally. But all depends on the condition and services history. Not much 964 and 993 selling here can provide a good history to you. Especially from dealers.

For oil leak, it is not uncommon for both model. Especially in our HK. Get a PPI done and advise for how much to be rectified is preferred. Don't expect a totally dry engine underneath in HK$2xxxxx to HK$3xxxxx range.

You better find more information before move forward to purchase one, like what gauge can be trust to repair, maintenance cost and most important to find a reputation shop to PPI. And keep reading in this forum. Will learn and know a lot about the cars.

We are a small group of 964 owners in hk, you can pm me for any matters if you like.

Originally Posted by jamesh
Hi, new here and have been enjoying these great forums from over here in Hong Kong.

Hoping for a bit of advice - trying to decide between a 964 and 993. I have a slight preference for the 964 for it's classic looks. However, still a couple of questions remain;

* Decent Aircon is important here in Hong Kong - is there much difference for between the 964 and 993 a/c (either one more powerful or reliable)?

* They are both around the same price here in Hong Kong (964 is rarer and seen as more classic) - i guess this makes the 993 better value here than else where?

* The 993 is newer but is it still regarded as a "classic" compared to the newer water cooled models?

* I heard there are some oil leak issues with the earlier 964's - are these safe to buy if engine rebuilt? And any similar problems to look out for with any production years of 993?

* Any other pros / cons I should consider?

Apologies for the laundry list of questions and tks in advance for any advice

Last edited by power_up; 02-07-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: adding things.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by power_up
Hello,
I am living same country as you and owning a 964 for a while.

I understand A/C is really important here in summer. BTW, if a 964 or 993 A/C system both are in order, it should be not a problem. However, minor or serious leakage of freon is common.

For decide between 964 or 993, both are good to be a keeper. Depends your preference on the look. 993 more modern, 964 stick to classic. Both are good performance sport car. 964 feeling raw and 993 tend to comfort. I think you better find one in good condition more than compare which model is better than the other. A good example of 993 usually call for a higher price that a 964 generally. But all depends on the condition and services history. Not much 964 and 993 selling here can provide a good history to you. Especially from dealers.

For oil leak, it is not uncommon for both model. Especially in our HK. Get a PPI done and advise for how much to be rectified is preferred. Don't expect a totally dry engine underneath in HK$2xxxxx to HK$3xxxxx range.

You better find more information before move forward to purchase one, like what gauge can be trust to repair, maintenance cost and most important to find a reputation shop to PPI. And keep reading in this forum. Will learn and know a lot about the cars.

We are a small group of 964 owners in hk, you can pm me for any matters if you like.
Thanks Power Up - good to here from other HK owner. I will definately be careful and do some checks before moving forward.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesh
Thanks Power Up - good to here from other HK owner. I will definately be careful and do some checks before moving forward.
After get a right one, lets come out and drive together.

Quick Reply: New here & need a bit of advice..