Sponsored by:

Electrical connectors for interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical connectors for interior lights

Adrian's book says there are white two pin electrical connectors where the interior lights plug in to the wiring loom. Does anyone know where these are located?

I'm trying to fix a battery drain that is associated to the interior lights so I want to isolate them and take some meter readings. Just pulling the fuse (#11) is not giving me all the answers because that also isolates the dash clock.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

OK in the absence of ideas on the above, does anyone know how the earths on the door switches are routed to the interior lights? Do they go directly to them as a single wire?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I may be on the wrong track as to your issue with battery drain, so please forgive me, but will just removing the bulbs from the interior lights then remove the "load". Regards, Les.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Les Dawes
Steve,
I may be on the wrong track as to your issue with battery drain, so please forgive me, but will just removing the bulbs from the interior lights then remove the "load". Regards, Les.
Thanks Les. Yes but there could still be the possibility that the live feed to the lights could still be grounding out on its way to the lights. My madness in this thought is that I've just had rust on the front screen repaired. Welding was involved, so I'm wondering if there is a chance that wires to the lights got melted in the process and are now earthing on the body. Particularly if they're routed inside the A posts.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the door switches, as you probably know, just have one wire, but any switch (boot,bonnet, either door) will light all the interior lights, so the interior light circuit must be able to find earth via any switch.

i traced them on the wiring diagram when I was chasing a similar issue on mine, the switched earth is connected to the right hand side light and then fed from there to the left hand light, according to the wiring diagram there is a 4 pin connector for both switches that leads to the right hand light "beneath the rear parcel tray" on the right hand side of the car, never found it myself.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thank Alex. When I remove the driver's interior light I can see wires routed towards the back of the car, along the roof line. So, a connection at the parcel shelf makes sense. That's helpful info for when I next get the meter out this weekend.

BTW I've disconnected the engine and bonnet lights but the switches are still operational and therefore still make an earth when opened but this doesn't trigger the interior lights. From the reading of interior light problems on here (there are a lot of threads!) it appears that some 964s do trigger the lights when bonnet or lid is open and some don't. So I guess mine is one that doesn't.

Quick Reply: Electrical connectors for interior lights