Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GREAT UK 964s FS... Which one would you take home?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree Frank, to what a refresh is, but that can be part of the deal for a private or dealer sale anyway.

Having watched the LARRY from AMMO video of his engine rebuild this morning, it's made me think twice about whether or not my engine needs a re-build, it certainly doesn't leak oil like his did, but the internal scars his engine had are a worry.
Anyway, i believe that all the hype about 964's engines must have had a rebuild or the cars not worth buying is rubbish. but it is buyer beware.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian

Applying the same logic to today's value you start with 25k and add 25k for re-paint, engine rebuild, new suspension & interior "re-fresh" over the next few years & you end up with a cost of 50k but looking at the long term prices one could certainly see prices shifting over 50k. However that's a long term view, short term things could be a lot more different.
You are on the money here. Mine has had around £25K spent on it (possibly more if I sat down and went through all the invoices) and it hasn't even had a full repaint! However, that large chunk of money has been spent over a number of years which makes the pain a lot easier. By doing one major job per year makes it more of an investment.

Of course by buying seven years ago, I didn't have to swallow that initial large buy in price that people want now. Back then the cars with full engine rebuilds were a minority so we were prepared to buy and have major work done when necessary. Now, there are lots that have had such work done. So it's natural that new buyers want a rebuilt car in preference to a time capsule. Spending £25K now on an original car and adding £25K to refresh it within a few years does indeed sound like a bitter pill.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You are on the money here. Mine has had around £25K spent on it (possibly more if I sat down and went through all the invoices) and it hasn't even had a full repaint! However, that large chunk of money has been spent over a number of years which makes the pain a lot easier. By doing one major job per year makes it more of an investment.

Of course by buying seven years ago, I didn't have to swallow that initial large buy in price that people want now. Back then the cars with full engine rebuilds were a minority so we were prepared to buy and have major work done when necessary. Now, there are lots that have had such work done. So it's natural that new buyers want a rebuilt car in preference to a time capsule. Spending £25K now on an original car and adding £25K to refresh it within a few years does indeed sound like a bitter pill.
i was interested in buying the mint green 964 RS rep at JZM that was built when they had it for sale (43k) and I emailed Jasmine who built it (also built the Maritime car (49k) that sold recently through JZM and the car that Barty is fettling at the moment). Their view is that it would cost 50k to build the same type of thing now (more like mid 30's a few years back with a donor manual C2 being closer to 15k). I am not sure that would include a lot of the tasty additions the other Jasmine cars had like the BBS wheels, genuine RS seats / wheels etc. At least for 50k its not just a refresh its a ground up rebuild as per below. But if you are going to spend 45-50k on a non RS 964 you would essentially want an almost brand new car.

General Build Specification for Jasmine PorschaLink UK’s Porsche 964RS Replica

Note this can be customised to your individual requirements/taste.

BODY SHELL

· 964 C2 Coupe to be purchased by ourselves.
· Based on a 964 Carrera 2 body. Car completely stripped, engine/gearbox
removed, windows taken out and paint removed back to bare metal.
· Rear half roll cage bolted in.

PANELS

All standard 964C2 panels remain except for: -

· Rear 964RS centre bumper fitted.
· 964RS front bumper fitted.
· 964RS cup mirrors fitted with electrical adjustment.
· Fog lights removed in front bumper and replaced by plastic moulded air
vents.
· Carrera RS badge on the rear.

PAINTING

· All panels and body shell painted to customers colour.
· Roll cage to be painted black or body colour.

LIGHTING

· 964 clear front light kit and clear side repeators to be fitted.
· New rear lights and centre reflector to be fitted.

INTERIOR

· Original head lining and interior lights to be retained.
· Lightweight 964RS door panels with blue or red door pull straps. Original
electric window switches and mechanism remain.
· All interior carpeting and rear quarter panels removed and replaced with
lightweight carpeting as per 964RS specification.
· Original seats removed and replaced with Recaro seats. Seat adjustment
rails fore and aft mechanism retained.
· Centre console and handbrake retained.
· Alcantera Momo steering wheel fitted instead of standard item.
· 4 point full harness seat belts fitted.
· New overmats.
· Handbrake stainless steel with Porsche logo.
· Gearlever and gaiter standard.

BRAKES

· 965 Turbo (big red) braking system fitted; front and rear.
· Crossdrilled discs fitted front and rear; standard 965 Turbo at the front,
custom ordered 964RS at the rear.
· Castrol high temperature braking fluid.
· EBC Red Pads fitted (front and rear).
· Stainless steel braided brake hoses.

SUSPENSION

Suspension completely changed to RS specification, i.e.: -

FRONT
· Shock absorbers Bilstein Cup items valved to Jasmine specification.
· 964RS springs and top mounts fitted.
· Front 964RS anti roll bar and links fitted.
· Strut brace in luggage compartment stainless steel.

REAR
· Shock absorbers Bilstein to 964RS specification.
· 964RS springs and top mounts fitted.
· Rear 964RS anti roll bar and links fitted.

ENGINE

· Completely stripped.
· Crankshaft and rods balanced and polished.
· Bottom end reassembled with new shells and rings.
· Heads stripped, cleaned, polished, gas flowed. New valve guides, chains
and head studs.
· New oil pump fitted.
· RS flywheel and clutch assembly fitted.
· Engine/gearbox reinstalled.
· New filters and plugs and all hoses.
· Engine remapped to produce approx 280-290 BHP.
· Centre exhaust box replaced by straight through system.

GEARBOX

· Gearing remains standard.

WHEELS AND TYRES

WHEELS
· Replica 3.6 Turbo Three Piece Speedline Wheels
· 8”x18” Front
· 9½”x18” Rear

TYRES
· Pirelli Pzero Rosso N4 Tyres
· 225/40ZR18 Front
· 265/35ZR18 Rear
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

In my opinion, anyone looking at buying a 964 today has to either buy a fully fettled car and pay up in the knowledge that they themselves have a car that will not need anything major doing to it in the next few years, or, they buy a 964 that needs work either immediately or over time.

You pays your money and make your choice, but many buyers want the best of both worlds.

I bought mine at just the right time, you put me onto it Steve, (thank you by the way) and i think I got a good deal with modified suspension and a couple of other mods and a thick history file. The last owner for 10 years and only 2 maybe 3 prior to that and whilst it's not the cleanest 964 out there, i believe i have a car that I can drive and upgrade as time goes by.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think we should mix up customizing and/or replicas with keeping the cars fairly standard or just tweaking them (which is what I was talking about). You are never going to get that K3 suspension's money back or the £££'s in that trick 20k engine or the 10k that went into the interior & wheels but if your idea is to keep the car in top standard condition with minor tweaks here & there, then the feasibility landscape & cost recuperation looks a tad different.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think we should mix up customizing and/or replicas with keeping the cars fairly standard or just tweaking them (which is what I was talking about). You are never going to get that K3 suspension's money back or the £££'s in that trick 20k engine or the 10k that went into the interior & wheels but if your idea is to keep the car in top standard condition with minor tweaks here & there, then the feasibility landscape & cost recuperation looks a tad different.
Are you just posting to get a last word in.

I bought mine for 11K I've spent just shy of it's agreed valuation over 6 years. That was 6 years ago. Today, lets say you buy one at 24K, oh look I found one http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

Spend 11K on a full rebuild, 4K on a full respray, suspension 2k, pole positions 1K, miscellaneous items 3K. 21K spent after you've bought the car. 21+24 = 45K and suddenly you're at just less than today's values of the Mint, Maritime, Black RS'd Jasmine built cars. So there you go, you 'got your money back' even in today's market.

In conclusion, all of the people who have been posting here have done more or less just that. In fact most people on this 964 forum have in some shape or another. Most of us have had our cars valued.

Hell what do we know, you're the first owner of your 964 and so you've have had it for 25 years.

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 08-22-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I don't think we should mix up customizing and/or replicas with keeping the cars fairly standard or just tweaking them (which is what I was talking about). You are never going to get that K3 suspension's money back
It's funny you should say this.

They previous owner of my car did a number of mods including KWV3 suspension and some interior and engine mods.

I know what he paid for it and I know what i paid for it, and he did get his money back. if he had kept it for another year, he most certainly would have plus some.

But, i know i still have money to spend to make her what I want her to be.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
It's funny you should say this.

They previous owner of my car did a number of mods including KWV3 suspension and some interior and engine mods.

I know what he paid for it and I know what i paid for it, and he did get his money back. if he had kept it for another year, he most certainly would have plus some.

But, i know i still have money to spend to make her what I want her to be.
I am sure he did & you do but that was probably down to the doubling of 964 value in general over the past few years which may not be the case over the course of the next few years. I am just trying to do the math and figure things out before pulling the trigger on my 1st 964 - what makes it a little more complicated is the fact that I like the 964 in standard condition for now so not really looking to do a cup job on it which is what most of you guys seem to be into.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

not really looking to do a cup job on it which is what most of you guys seem to be into.
Indeed. Happy hunting.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM
AVI_8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Indeed. Happy hunting.

http://youtu.be/e_SBZ6YoVzA
Fantastic, I'd like to join you all on a future trip
Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 AM
No$Bill
4th Gear

Indeed. Happy hunting.
Class that Frank.

Will be stepping up my 64 hunt.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by AVI_8
Fantastic, I'd like to join you all on a future trip
Originally Posted by No$Bill
Class that Frank.

Will be stepping up my 64 hunt.
Here you go gents, https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ip-2015-a.html
Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM
No$Bill
4th Gear

Thumbs up

Ideal... might well be up for that.

Not gonna work without a suitable ride though so keep those FS links coming fellas.

... not to mention a nudge is always appreciated if anyone knows of a good car coming up.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Indeed. Happy hunting.

http://youtu.be/e_SBZ6YoVzA
Thanks Frank - that 6 in Spa clip has livened up the watching of the F1 Quali at Spa.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:21 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for an original C4 is superb condition, this is the one for you:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--1990/2648240

I know the owner Mark very well and have seen the car many times. It's lovely and you won't be disappointed. Very keenly priced IMO.

Quick Reply: GREAT UK 964s FS... Which one would you take home?