Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default AIRBAG/SEAT BELT LIGHT ON

Searching the net for a solution I cam across this
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-12.htm

I have an early (2/90) 964 , searched for the three prong molex plug mentioned on that page and did not find one

Is there a pin on the diagnostic connector that can be grounded in the method mentioned on the clarks garage web page

Already changed clock and checked airbag connectors...I did find a spade lug connector near the diagnostic plug connector, it is not hooked to anything and appears to be a ground...door lights, glove box light , etc all work so i dont think it goes there..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a '90, and would love to find a way to turn off my airbag light. My understanding was that the Bosch KTS-300 (hammer) was the only way, but I recently read that the KTS-500 will do it, and maybe some of the other bosch's as well. Also, according to an email from Obd1interface.com, their scan tool can turn off the light too.

Bump for someone who has done this, it would be great have confirmation of the different ways to reset that pesky light.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You state that you changed the clock. Justvrepairing or replacing won't shut off the lights. Did you then reset the DME?

Have not heard or read about that method. You have to use a hammer or the scantool to turn the lights off.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Thanks Lou, My dash was a veritable carnival of light, had a brake pad indicator and ABS light on...turned out to be a cut wire from the right front connector , I soldered some jumpers in as it looked like a bear to replace the abs/pad sensor block..

Will have to stop by a shop and have them reset the airbag/seatbelt light..was hoping for some other solution
Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Mine came on - the shop turned it off - first hard bump on the way home, it came back on - %$#@!!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Mine came on - the shop turned it off - first hard bump on the way home, it came back on - %$#@!!
Yup. Usually happens if you didn't fix the problem. My first time i had it reset, lasted a week! Then i pulled the clock and resoldered the cold joints, reset again, with the scantool that i built, and....years with no lights!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is from the Master himself I had sent him some mail but did not realize he no longer posts. FROM Mr. Adrian Streather Hi Randy.
I'm amazed that my material is still available, but it was accurate then and it's still good.
Everyone wants the easy way out, but it rarely ever works out that way. I have seen every conceivable combination of faults with the airbag warning system from it being the clock to failed control units, airbags that have expanded inside their pill enclosures to unreported crash damage to the crash sensors. Corroded connections on the crash sensors is also well known, but still need the Hammer to reset the system. It could even be a failed microswitch inside one of the front seat belt latches.
I understand the issue with the Bosch 9288 tester, but there have to be some around somewhere. Have you contacted the RUF centre in Dallas Texas?
I hope you can get the problem solved.
Best regards,
Adrian.

Hi Randy.
I see from your first email that you have used something I wrote on Rennlist many many years ago. I haven't posted on Rennlist for many years. However, with that said my original advice still stands.
I strongly advise you get a Bosch 9288 Tester and do a systems check. If the problem is a bad solder joint in the clock the warning lights will tend to vary in intensity. Starts off as a dull glow eventually getting brighter as the resistance in the solder joint increases until contact is lost totally.
You have a 1990 Carrera 2 one of the first fitted with the Mk 1 airbags, which were given a shelf life of only 10 years. If I was to guess I would suggest that one or all of your airbags have failed the internal resistance check. They are 21 plus years old.
However, guessing is not good enough. Could it be a sensor? Possible. Could it be the control unit? Yes. Could it be a wiring fault? Yes. It could also be the clock or the airbags. It could also simply be a glitch that can be reset using the Bosch tester.
My advice is not to spend money shotgunning, but to get the tester, hook it up and check.
Ciao,
Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the OBD1 Interface uses the Scantool software, and will reset an airbag code, FWIW. Ricardo and I only have a few left, and we're dropping the price to $199 to clear them out. We don't plan on making a second run... so let me know if I can supply one to you.

http://obd1interface.com

--tcb
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see an airbag delete in my future.....

Over the last week I've noticed some glitchy behavior. Twice the airbag has gone out, but the ABS light came on in its place. In both cases it only lasted 10 seconds or so, then the airbag light was back on. Just today I happened to glance down right as my speedo needle dropped momentarily to zero, then back up to speed, accompanied by a single flash of the master warning light. Gremlins, I tell you....
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

For future reference the Brake Pad light and ABS Light are self cancelling, once the fault is fixed they will turn off, ran a meter across all pad sensors and they were good, abs wheel sensors were all at 99 (normal)

Turns out my right rear abs/pad sensor block had broken wires (like the right front) , Put a new one on and now all I have to do is get that seat belt/Airbag light off!!

The front abs/pad sensor block connection appears to be under the gas tank so I spliced that one and will wait until I have to remove the tank to replace it...Nothing like accomplishing what one sets out to do!!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Adrian is correct, as ususal. There can be many faults that can cause the seatbelt / airbag light to come on ... but once its on, you need a Hammer to reset it. Lots of info on this site about troubleshooting, but unless you get the root cause, it the light will come on again and require another Hammer job.

On my 964, it turned out to be a dirty connection on one of the crash sensors located in the luggage compartment. Simple fix, but lots of time to narrow it down.

. Gregg
Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the same problem on my 90 c4, I took the clock from my 993 and now I'm headed to the shop to reset it and see what happens..
I will keep you guys posted
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag Light

One bit of info that I like about the airbag light is this

"I strongly advise you get a Bosch 9288 Tester and do a systems check. If the problem is a bad solder joint in the clock the warning lights will tend to vary in intensity. Starts off as a dull glow eventually getting brighter as the resistance in the solder joint increases until contact is lost totally."
My lights were on when I got my car so I cannot confirm this but like most have said time to get my hands dirty and start with the simple stuff first.
Mr. Adrian Streather knows his stuff....
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok got it reset and no more light now need to buy a clock
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Sent you pm about a clock..

Quick Reply: AIRBAG/SEAT BELT LIGHT ON