Sponsored by:

Engine mount options

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount options

I just bought my first Porsche. It's a Guards Red 1991 C2 coupe. I noticed my engine mounts are pretty pathetic and look like they are shot. I'd like to replace them with a new set but don't really want anything harsh. I'd like to stay as stock as possible but found that 964 mounts are pretty expensive in comparison to 996 and 997 mounts. They all look like they are about the same to me. Has anyone used any of these? I can get a set of OEM 996 mounts below $200 where as the 964 mounts are just north of $300 each. What are my options? I don't want to mess with Wevo's or RS mounts just yet.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I think lots of people who want to stay stock/OEM wnd up goin with 993 mounts since they're cheaper than 964 mounts.

I went w/ Wevo w/ blue (stiffer) pillows to replace my very blown out stock mounts. The only change in NVH I noticed was at highway speeds, just a bit more rumble from the flat 6.

Wevos w/ black (softer) pillows can't be bad at all.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the wevos w/blacks. To be honest...I notice no unpleasant vibration.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Mounts?

WEVO blue... No noticible difference except engine stability...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Wevo blacks for a couple of months now, a new little vibration from 2200 - 2600 RPM in one of the cab roof supports. probably means I need to tighten it
Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Merle
Racer

Did any of you guys do the engine carrier reinforcement when you went with the Wevo's? I've got so much other stuff to do to the car right now in preparation for this summer that I didn't really want to jump into pulling that as well.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I did the reinforcement, just because.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, if you're already pulling the mounts you might as well do the reinforcement. No sense in back tracking.

Last edited by PNine64; 01-27-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wevo is the best choice because you can replace the black rubber inserts for $20 or $30 if they ever fail. I have them in my 993. In the 964 I'm using the OEM RS mounts. Similar ride and feel to the 993. I didn't do the engine carrier but I will do it sometime in the future, as Laker said, just because.

Last edited by 993James993; 01-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Congrats on your first Porsche, you chose well!

I copied some text from a tread I posted on my Wevo MM install a couple years back...my initial impressions.

They are one of the best mods you can do with these cars....they really tie the engine and shell together and improve the car's handling at speed. Think about how much the engine is flopping around on worn mounts...

I started off with Black pillows, but now I run black on top and the harder blue on the bottom and it still feels great.
BTW, I haven't reinforced my carrier and I engine hasn't fallen out yet...

__________________ Wevo m.m. installed - impressions ____________________________

What does it feel like? Going in, I was mostly worried about cabin vibration and rattling, not additional engine (type) noise. My car is rattle free (these cars are so awesome), and I didn't want these mounts to create incessant vibration or rattling throughout the cabin.

In the interest of full disclosure my car has a drilled air, primary by-pass and no sound pad - under engine or behind seats (plus, the radio is always off). Noise wise, results with a stock car will probably feel different. These mounts blend right in with the overall feeling of an exhaust/suspension modified car.

On start up:
I can feel the engine shake as it comes to life. I also felt it before with the old mounts... and I honestly liked the feeling (reminds me of my high school days riding around in my best-friend's cammed-out '68 Camaro). So that hasn't gone away, but now the shaking comes from a sense of solidness (direct, tight feeling), not slop. One second in, with windows up there's not much difference. Still pretty quite. No sensation of (dramatically) increased noise or vibration... maybe just a 5% difference. Definitely nothing negative!

Driving experience
There's a subtle feeling of improve directness, improved precision, a sense of oneness. Obviously just m.m. won't/shouldn't lead to a massive change, but with the sense of solidness comes an enhanced sense of playfulness. I feel as though the car is working with me just a little bit more. I'm talking about a 5% type of improvement.

The big change comes while climbing up the rev band or while cruising at 3k plus. There is definitely more noise coming through the cabin. It's tough to describe, but the engine sounds louder in the cabin... it's as if I added another exhaust bypass. Not a negative noise, rattle, or negative vibration. (Note: given this type of mod., there is increased vibration, but it's not the type that rattles anything in the car, the experience manifests itself more as noise... don't know how to describe that better). With windows open, I definitely hear more (what seems like motor) noise directly over my should outside the driver's side window.

Screaming up to redline the first time was worth the price of admission, a whole notch louder and more direct (that sense overwhelms any additional vibration that is present). Throttle response feels better, big on and off throttle movements feel more solid.

While idling there is an increased sense of lumpyness coming from the engine. At first I thought the idle was hunting (like +/- 25 rpm), but it was rock solid 880.

On shutdown you get the same shake as start up. In a nice, direct way you feel the last cylinder firing, then STOP. It feels nice, your baby is now sleeping...

I ordered the softer, black pillows for fear of negative vibrations (and the best match for 99% daily driving)... I'm tempted to order a set of blue pillows and mix and match... (a sign that the mod is good for me)

Who is this product not for?
Someone who wants a completely stock feeling car, and feels as though Porsche designed everything right. An OEM Porsche driver. (not in anyway a negative comment. Just different strokes) Also I feel this mod (like an exhaust bypass) would not be the best for owners who like to accompany their spirited driving with music (the non-engine kind).

I'm still shocked at how well a completely stock 964 drives. A stock, well-maintained 964 is a treasure. If you want to sharpen the edge just a bit and like a more direct feel to your, Wevo m.m. are a nice addition.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:13 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As tempted as I was to use the Wevo mounts, I went with the OEM 993 mounts. Very happy with my decision. Car is used for long daily commute (90+ miles per day). If mostly a weekend car, would have probably gone with the Wevo black's or even blue's. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

I installed 996GT2 mounts. No problems and pretty cheap...
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996GT2 mounts, interesting. How are they compared to 993 and RS mounts?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Is there a UK supplier for wevo's?

Last edited by Lemass Automotive; 01-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm doing the engine carrier right now. The motor mounts are a really simple task compared to pulling the engine carrier and reinforcing.

Considering that it sounds like you're keeping the car mostly stock and mild street use, you probably don't need to reinforce the carrier.

Quick Reply: Engine mount options