Bad chain tensioner [noise]

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad chain tensioner [noise]

Hi guys,

Could a bad chain tensioner sound like a " ying ying ying..." when is broken, I mean, not exactly the tensioner, this sound would be caused by the bad tensioner chain.

When you rev the car (+ oil pressure) a llittle, noise dissapear, so, in the 964 chain tensioner are hydraulics, so is another clue, It could be that the tensioner have a leak or something loosing tension at idle, but when you accelerate the car oil pressure increase and noise dissapear.

And another think, I can hear the noise coming from this part of the engine but..

What do you think about my theory?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:06 PM
bmohr
Racer

i did a valve job and decided to change out the chain tensioner gasket while I was doing the repairs. Didn't figure to be ready for that thing to shoot out the bottom. I couldn't tell what direction it should go back in. I put it in with the "hole" on top...figured that made sense being they are supposed to fill with air. Anyhoo, buttoned things back up and started the car...it idled fantastic...then gave it a wash and when I started it back up to make a good drying run the damm thing started sounding like a old wwII tank! Now i'm worried I didn't put it back in correctly. Thoughts? Need some advice
Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
bmohr
Racer

oh..and it was only the passenger side gasket i replaced.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

The tensioner side w/ the nipple w/ the pin hole is the side that points towards the tensioner cap. The tensioner cap has a matching pin hole in the center. This is an oil passage.

Also, make sure you oriented the gasket properly so that the holes on the gasket w/ o-rings on them line up to the oil passages on the tensioner cap.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Also, the noise that McQuuen was hearing turned out to be a clogged oil sprayer in the valvetrain, which meant a rocker was being starve of oil. Search under his username for Threads Started and he posted another thread w/ an update on his finding/repair.

Also, I posted a bunch of pics of my redo of the tensioners in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=690433
Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
bmohr
Racer

if i needed to reposition the tensioner, would i have to drain the oil entirely again? Or could I just lose a quart doing it? I put it with the hole up, but maybe I didn't align it properly...tough spot due to the exhaust and heat shielding right there

Oh, and many thanks for the reply vandit..i think i've read your comment correctly now, you are saying the passenger side tensioner should have the nipple with hole in it facing downward...into the cap. Yes?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bmohr
Oh, and many thanks for the reply vandit..i think i've read your comment correctly now, you are saying the passenger side tensioner should have the nipple with hole in it facing downward...into the cap. Yes?
Correct.

You shouldn't lose much oil removing the tensioner. It'll look like a bunch and make an oily mess when you remove it, because that's just the nature of it, from a quantitative measure, you won't actually lose much oil.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM
bmohr
Racer

yep you were correct! I was losing time and and to go for it anyway, so I scooted out, removed the cap and tensioner and repositioned. It was very obvious after reading your comments on how it was supposed to be aligned. Thank you so much Vandit..it really helped. Everything is sorted out and the wwII tank has been traded into my lovely porsche music maker
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I'm glad I was able to help out.

I went through a similar freakout when I did mine because the left and right tensioner aren't the same. They are side specific and the nipple pin hole is on opposite sides.

You can see my thread about that here.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=680418

Quick Reply: Bad chain tensioner [noise]