Sponsored by:

Beru Tolerances - Spark Plug Caps

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM
P964C2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beru Tolerances - Spark Plug Caps

So I've removed the full HT lead set from underneath and then removed the caps from the wires. I was left with 4 plug caps with the brass connectors stuck inside, as the wires sheared. I managed to get all but one out, by using as screwdriver to screw them out loose, then a drill bit and super glue to glue the drill bit into the brass connector, and then pull it out. I managed to break the inside plastic of one cap, so I'll have to replace it.

2 of the 6 underside caps have exactly 3.0 ohms resistance, and the others have 3.3 ohms, and one has 3.4 ohms, which is a a difference of 10% or there abouts. This would seam reasonable.

Please could anyone comment on whether this is an acceptable tolerance of the spark plug cap or whether it is excessive?

I hope to get a new set of wires and reuse the old caps which seem OK, even if they are 21 years old.....

Many thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
P964C2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as 84 of you have had a look yet nobody has dared hazard a guess, I have come to a conclusion now having removed and tested the upper 6 HT leads.

My conclusion is that a 10% tolerance must be reasonable, because I have found a variation in the upper HT leads and yet they worked without trouble.

These are the overall readings in k ohms:

Cylinder Upper Lower

1 2.8 3.3
2 3.4 3.4
3 3.0 3.4
4 3.1 3.0
5 3.4 3.0
6 3.1 3.3

So I think the leakage was on the wires which are old and dirty, new ones on order.

I noted that the "special" No.3 exhaust spark plug connector was not fitted, it was like the others, I don't know why it is different by spec, as it looks similar from images I have seen.

A small electricians screwdriver and WD40 is all that is needed to removed the caps/connectors. Push the small screwdriver down between the connector rubber boot and the wire until it touches the metal connector. Do it at 9,12,3,6 o'clock, and spray WD40 in. Leave for 10 minutes. Then put the screwdriver back in up until the metal connector and screw the wire out. Patience and letting the WD40 do its job avoids breaking the connectors or shearing the wire.

Hopefully when its all back together with new plugs and dizzy caps it will run fine.

Quick Reply: Beru Tolerances - Spark Plug Caps