Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend at the track in my Carrera 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012 | 07:11 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 90_C2_Cab
I don't have experience with those but they sound sticky so that wasn't an issue I assume? My concern is that I plan to track my cab (not before I get a roll bar) and I don't want to roll it by going off in the dirt.

What tire pressure were you running? I've seen on here where a lot of guys run 32 front 36 rear or less and it makes a huge difference. I'm trying to learn as much from you guys who track as possible before I head out in mine.
Fair cold pressures to start with on streets would be 32/34.

Your instructor will advise you, and I can assure you that he will not have you off into the dirt and into a possible roll situation.

Ya'll, please take into account that Herr Lang has a fair amount of track/race experience and has posted bloopers during a thinly attended track day. If he wants to "dirt track" his car during an empty session (did you see the black flag?), that's cool.

Please do not try this at home. Trail braking is an advanced skill and it's easy to see where it can send you when done without a bit of grace (sorry Andrew, but true).

The object of track time when we're getting our feet wet is to keep the car on the track and learn how to do things progressively and properly.

Rant off. (edit to add: It just concerns me that some folks considering DE for the first few times see this stuff and worry. This ain't what it's all about at all. We should absolutely put our wonderful, capable cars on track - stock is just fine - and go out and have good, safe fun with them - and learn a happy ****load while we're doing it).

Last edited by KaiB; 01-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2012 | 08:38 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KaiB
Sounds to low by a long shot Steve.
I thought so too when I was advised to use those pressures (by experienced Porsche racers) but they work so much better than the higher pressures I used to run. Nb. I wouldn't advise anyone using road tyres or soft side wall tyres to go that low though.
Old 01-17-2012 | 12:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds too low by a long shot Steve.
+1

33f/37r R6's (hot)
32f/36r MPSC (hot)
40f/42r PS2 (hot)

30 sounds very low.

Marc
Old 01-17-2012 | 12:32 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Sounds to low by a long shot Steve.
Especially for street tires with soft sidewalls.
Old 01-17-2012 | 12:36 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Fair cold pressures to start with on streets would be 32/34.

Your instructor will advise you, and I can assure you that he will not have you off into the dirt and into a possible roll situation.

Ya'll, please take into account that Herr Lang has a fair amount of track/race experience and has posted bloopers during a thinly attended track day. If he wants to "dirt track" his car during an empty session (did you see the black flag?), that's cool.

Please do not try this at home. Trail braking is an advanced skill and it's easy to see where it can send you when done without a bit of grace (sorry Andrew, but true).

The object of track time when we're getting our feet wet is to keep the car on the track and learn how to do things progressively and properly.

Rant off. (edit to add: It just concerns me that some folks considering DE for the first few times see this stuff and worry. This ain't what it's all about at all. We should absolutely put our wonderful, capable cars on track - stock is just fine - and go out and have good, safe fun with them - and learn a happy ****load while we're doing it).
I pretty much completely agree. That last off was the most dangerous moments I've had on track in the last 7 years of track experience including wheel to wheel racing. It was the result of a pretty severe mistake as well. And I agree this shouldn't scare the average driver from taking their stock porsche out to a DE event, you don't have to drive like this!
Old 01-17-2012 | 03:31 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
+1

33f/37r R6's (hot)
32f/36r MPSC (hot)
40f/42r PS2 (hot)

30 sounds very low.

Marc
As said above I was dubious too, I always used to use 34/36 hot. The advice came for regular trackers and Porsche racers. Lots of RS/cup drivers use those pressures over here for R888s/MPSC. Try the experiment, you might be pleasantly surprised.... I was. . As also said above NOT for road tyres though!
Old 01-22-2012 | 07:41 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

I thought this was relevant to some of the earlier posts in this thread.

"Driving around the racetrack with doubt hurts your performance in the car. You're going to be slower since you don't dare do anything that makes the car go faster, lest it fly off the road. Some would call this prudence and, while some people live quite happily with the motto "don't take a chance" they are not often successful racers.

This is not to say that cautiousness is all bad. A worse response to the anxiety is to pump up your confidence unlrealistically- to use bravado to urge yourself to go faster. It doesn't work. If you don't have the skill required to control a sliding car, feigned bravery will only result in more spins, more loss of control.

Confidence in your car control comes from having the experience of sliding the car and bringing it back from the edge of loss of control by making the right moves. By practicing and getting good at it, even if you're inclined to be timid, you will be more willing to stretch the limits. If you're overly brave, you will do better by learning that it is skill that lowers lap time and not the willingness to sacrifice your car and yourself to the barriers."

Quick Reply: Weekend at the track in my Carrera 2