Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Donington 2012 - UK trackday

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Twas a great day out guys and a cracking evening before...almost like Spa without the gourmet food and a lot less beer!

The 964s were a sight to behold. We made up a quarter of the entire field! My buddy Mike did a great job of taking photos again (see the link in Freedman's post above). Here's one of all of us

Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to echo steve, fantastic day and dry for the most part.

Great to meet some new faces and see some old ones too.

I think the 964s acquitted themselves well on track - it was my third visit to Donington and actuallly the first time that I felt I could drive the circuit as a whole - not having the GP esntensions helped with this and excellent instruciton from Sarah of Bookatrack.

Looking forward to the next day out which is prbably Oulton but I htink we should try and squeeze another Donny session in this year (please Steve :-) )

Cheers and look forward to seeing all again soon!

Kevi
(Yellow 964RS)
Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asbi
Just to echo steve, fantastic day and dry for the most part.

Looking forward to the next day out which is prbably Oulton but I htink we should try and squeeze another Donny session in this year (please Steve :-) )

(Yellow 964RS)
I'd be interested in this.

must go buy a gopro camera thing

On the BAT website on andrews pictures it looks like there is a pic of all the 964s coming down craner.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
'Twas a great day out guys and a cracking evening before...almost like Spa without the gourmet food and a lot less beer!

The 964s were a sight to behold. We made up a quarter of the entire field! My buddy Mike did a great job of taking photos again (see the link in Freedman's post above). Here's one of all of us
Some great pics there, I particularly like the first one!!!!

Managed to post my one and only run to youtube...GoPro on front bumper linked to mic fitted just above rear bumper (yeah, fitting that lead was fun!).

I'll edit and post my laps trying to keep up with Boxsey.....I needed my 996t to do that
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Managed to post my one and only run to youtube...GoPro on front bumper linked to mic fitted just above rear bumper (yeah, fitting that lead was fun!).
That's me with Kevin in hot pursuit @1:57

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy

I'll edit and post my laps trying to keep up with Boxsey.....I needed my 996t to do that
Looking forward to that....I've got the same laps on the one video I took and will post it up when I've edited it.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 AM
P964miller
Advanced

What a fantastic day! Ticked the "Reverse at 120mph into gravel" life box and took the car to the limit. Serious track day lessons were get some of Alex's ECB yellow pads, I was very nervous by the end of my 15 min runs! Also fit the suspension I have been promising myself for ages. Finally on a cool down lap don't think you can keep up with a 996 turbo and have one quick lap to keep up, resulted in quite a spin.
Thanks to Boxsey and all the other 964's especially Alex, Andrew and John who all kindly took me round, especially Andrew for giving me a quick spin!

Tom
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by P964miller
What a fantastic day! Ticked the "Reverse at 120mph into gravel" life box and took the car to the limit. Serious track day lessons were get some of Alex's ECB yellow pads, I was very nervous by the end of my 15 min runs!
Good idea, yellows aren't bad as a first step, I've used them before...even at Spa last year....but they do also tend to wilt after a lot of repeated heavy braking....currently awaiting next opportunity to try out Hawk pads, as recommended by Boxsey....

Also fit the suspension I have been promising myself for ages.
If you've already had the car geo'd and are sure that all the suspension components are in their best condition then yes, upgrade this....then the Q is to what, KWv3s are what most of us run and are very happy with, but also with poly bushed suspension, etc, etc....
Finally on a cool down lap don't think you can keep up with a 996 turbo and have one quick lap to keep up, resulted in quite a spin.
Sorry about that, I was probably in the hunt for a GT3 or RS...
Thanks to Boxsey and all the other 964's especially Alex, Andrew and John who all kindly took me round, especially Andrew for giving me a quick spin!

Tom
Here, here!

Last edited by Cheeksyboy; 07-09-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Thanks for organising Boxsey and great to see the 964's out in force. Had a great time and had my first off into the kitty litter but hey it had to happen at some point
If only I'd stayed out one more lap.....I would have caught that on video!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
BIG'UN
Instructor

Many thanks again to both Alex & Steve for the passenger rides, great fun...hope I didn't slow you down too much Steve!
Got called into work urgently so couldn't hang around till the end. Always a pleasure to meet up with you all.

A couple of pics from the day.

Andy.

Last edited by BIG'UN; 09-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

I was surprised how fast the back end went out and that i couldnt catch it. Though in hindsight once it started going i probably should have feathered the throttle and added some more oppo lock and maybe would have saved it. In real time the thought process was too slow LOL

still amazes me that you can thrash these cars all day round the track and then they will do another 2.5hrs on the highway back home. No problems!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BIG'UN
Many thanks again to both Alex & Steve for the passenger rides, great fun...hope I didn't slow you down too much Steve!
Don't think so mate.....here's us out for a few laps of fun.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Having prepped my 964 with a bumper mounted camera (with rear mic) and mounted another camera in car I was set for the day....till I got told I was too loud even at 5k, let alone redline....

....I spent the rest of the day pedalling the 996t. Too heavy for seroius trackwork, but thanks to its KWv3s and 350mm discs allround it wasn't too bad a place to be....especially when it rained....

Boxsey has already posted his video (where I follow him for several laps), but as luck would have it this is the last one I have to edit......(currently out of the country on business so will defo post on the weekend, honest )

...in the meantime....

some laps with Freedman as my pax:

some with Boxsey:

and some with Squealey:
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Have to say that the 'backup' car was mighty impressive....especially in the wet
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Andrew caught red handed by one of the other 964 guys!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See Grant fly past at 1:10 as well

Quick Reply: Donington 2012 - UK trackday