Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil line kinked… Help! RESOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil line kinked… Help! RESOLVED!!!

Hi all,
I am replacing the oil line that goes from the oil filter housing to the thermostat. The red arrow shows where it is kinking due to a pretty sharp bend required just above the arrow. Have any of you run across this and if so what did you do? I can’t imagine just leaving it because it may kink completely shut. The part is from PP by the way.
TIA
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but what's the question? Are you showing us the old oil line prior to replacement? Or are you showing the new oil line and it kinked during installation?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like new one has a kink after install
Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Yes, it is the new line that kinked during install. It needs to be pushed back all the way to make room for a line that connects to the tube sticking through to the left in the pic. The old line was the same but the hose didn’t kink. I think it was made of a higher quality material or the specs are just a little off. I remember filing my new sun roof cable slides because they didn’t fit in the track thinking WTF? I don’t know I think I am going to have to reinvent the wheel on this one and make a custom hose. But if anyone has a suggestion I am all ears.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

hi again Steve
i'm in the middle of the same thing...(as you know) replacing hoses i found a local hose supplier steel/rubber with a cloth brad 300F 820psi i'm checking it out next week also to see if they came fix me up with the connectors

is this hose PP's best optoin?

Glenn
Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You are not alone, THIS THREAD may be of help.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

I had the same issue with my OE "rubber" replacement line purchased from the local Porsche dealer.

The original OE line is a braided hose which allows for a slight bend without a kink.

Do you still have the original oil line? If you do, take the brass ends to a heavy truck / hydraulic shop and have a custom line made with 22mm braided hose.

Porsche needs to find a new supplier! ! Porsche used a braided line when our cars were new for a reason.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Originally Posted by Enso
hi again Steve
i'm in the middle of the same thing...(as you know) replacing hoses i found a local hose supplier steel/rubber with a cloth brad 300F 820psi i'm checking it out next week also to see if they came fix me up with the connectors

is this hose PP's best optoin?

Glenn
Stoddard vintage parts has the crimped ends. You will need to reuse the brass ends.

In Canada you may have better luck finding the metric crimped ends local compared to the US.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I replaced mine about 8 months ago, I bought mine at a porsche dealer also, but I didn't have that problem, maybe the hose was not made properly, all I know is that hose is NOT fun at all
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Thanks, guys for all your input. I do not have the original brass ends so I guess I will try to return this hose and locate a used hose from a wrecker and use those brass ends, or see if a hydraulic hose shop can work with the new hose with the steal ends. Possibly modify it and replace the cheap rubber hose with a SS braded hose and re-crimp the ends. If anybody has their old original hose and want to sell it let me know. Any other possibilities out there I am not thinking of?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

can't you just disconnect the metal end of the tube, heat it a little with a gas torch (don't know the correct word), and than bend it a little so that there is no kink or something. Or just turn the metal at the point where it is attached to the screw or something. Just do something with precaution with the metal part so that the angle is less sharp, without blocking the other hole of course.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Dutchman,
Thanks for your input. Well I have been looking at this for two days now and have tried to adjust the pipe/hose and it really is a tight fit. You can’t really see the angle the hose needs to make by the picture.
Also you can pinch the hose completely shut easily with your fingers. I am now thinking of bringing the hose to a hydraulic shop and see if they can replace just the hose with one that will not easily kink. And better yet also relocate the farrel down ¾’’ if possible that will make the turn in the hose a little more gradual. Not such a sharp bend.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Update:
After a trip to the 3rd hydraulic shop I finally ran into another car guy who really wanted to help me sort this issue out. His professional opinion on the OEM part was the type of crimp and the hose were of poor quality although he normally works with a lot higher pressure/ temperature. Anyway this is what he came up with and it fit like a glove. No way this hose will kink it is reinforced with a steal mesh. I tried to kink a sample he had and I couldn’t. If some if you guys are bored with this thread I am sorry I just couldn’t confine my happiness to be done with this hose issue forever or at least another 20 years. As Opo said this hose is not fun at all.
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Steve, I'm glad to hear that this issue got finally RESOLVED and don't feel BAD it took me 6 days, 4 hrs every night to get mine right
Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Did he reuse the ends from the PP line or did he custom make ends? Nice work.

Quick Reply: Oil line kinked… Help! RESOLVED!!!