Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Holy S#!t!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Holy S#!t!

I just had a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires (255 rear / 225 front) fitted on my mostly straight Cup 1 17" rims (one of the rear's is bent from a pot hole I hit on my way to an emissions test but that is another story) and let me tell you! I have found the limits in handling of the Cabriolet! These tires are so beyond normal grip that my car feels like it was made by Toyota (I feel it flexing but with no roof that is to be expected).

I just purchased Bilstein's and H&R greens. They should get here in a few days and I hope they help because these tires will almost twist your car in half if you have a stock cabriolet. They stick like glue. The UTQG is only 200 and they claim on the sticker that these are for "Club Sanctioned Events" but my car is not a daily driver so I don't care about wear. What I am worried about is that when I crank the wheel these tires literally will stress the crap out of the body (and my body as well).

I love these tires and I hope with the Bilstein's, H&R greens, a strut brace and a roll bar I won't break my car in half taking turns. If you're looking for sticky tires and don't care about tread wear these tires are amazing!

Last edited by 90_C2_Cab; 01-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

I just put the same rubber on my cab - and then promptly ran the tyre guy to complain that he had taken my slippy slidey sloppy flexy handling car and turned it into a bitumen shredding missile !!!! I agree they are fantastic and for the price I think they probably out perform every other tyre on the market. My car is my DD and I take my kids places in it so it ha to be safe and jeez these have given me whole new confidence in the capabilities of my chassis (which now far outweighs my capabilities !)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Vasculardoc - I agree I don't think I can get my car to slide at all. Over-steer and under-steer is gone with these. I feel the swaybar mounts about to rip off with these tires. I may have to upgrade all of the bushings when I install the springs and shocks. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating but these tires are over the top sticky!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super cheap from the US as well ....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I ran these on my Toyota and now I moved over to the Hankook Ventus RS3. Both provide ridiculous grip for a street tire. I can't wait to blow through my C2's Michelin Pilot Sports to put her on some real sticky tires too.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with all the above. Although we're on R slicks now, I ran these for two track weekends.

They get greasy when hot, but remain very predictable and actually fun to slide around.

Great tire for dual purpose use.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have these as well and like them. I hear they get a little better after you put a few miles on them.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I dropped about 5 seconds on ~75 second autocross courses by switching from some good all-seasons (Yoko S.4) to the Star Specs. That's comparing my time over a few events to the pretty consistent gang in my class. Both sets were the same size 225/255x17. I love 'em too! Instructor thought for sure I had on r compounds when I had him ride along for a run. They're not even very noisy for a all-performance tire. And cheap to boot. Agree about them getting greasy when really pushed (back-to-back a/x runs at least). I found 32/36 f/r psi was by far the best combo for the 225/255 sizes. Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

At this point I think that we have used 10 sets of these on the lemons car, I had a set on the 964, and most of the other lemons teams run the same. Agreed, it's a fantastic for what it is. And there are still a lot of smaller tire sizes available, which unfortunately some of the newer performance tires don't support.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to use these on a C4, but the sizes aren't exact enough in 17"
Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90_C2_Cab
I just had a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires (255 rear / 225 front) fitted on my mostly straight Cup 1 17" rims (one of the rear's is bent from a pot hole I hit on my way to an emissions test but that is another story) and let me tell you! I have found the limits in handling of the Cabriolet! These tires are so beyond normal grip that my car feels like it was made by Toyota (I feel it flexing but with no roof that is to be expected).

I just purchased Bilstein's and H&R greens. They should get here in a few days and I hope they help because these tires will almost twist your car in half if you have a stock cabriolet. They stick like glue. The UTQG is only 200 and they claim on the sticker that these are for "Club Sanctioned Events" but my car is not a daily driver so I don't care about wear. What I am worried about is that when I crank the wheel these tires literally will stress the crap out of the body (and my body as well).

I love these tires and I hope with the Bilstein's, H&R greens, a strut brace and a roll bar I won't break my car in half taking turns. If you're looking for sticky tires and don't care about tread wear these tires are amazing!
Thanks for the heads up on these tires. What ride height are you planning for the updated suspension?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tbennett017
I wanted to use these on a C4, but the sizes aren't exact enough in 17"
? I used them in the sizes that was suggested by the article "Wringing out the C4" iirc, to get the push out of the car, 225/45-17 and 255/40-17. Worked great.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

993James993
Thanks for the heads up on these tires. What ride height are you planning for the updated suspension?
I'll just have to play around with the limited ride height adjustment that comes with the threaded Bilstein shock bodys. The shocks I bought are just the HD's not coil overs so there aren't a lot of options.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info on these tires. Anyone has any experience with them in the rain?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
? I used them in the sizes that was suggested by the article "Wringing out the C4" iirc, to get the push out of the car, 225/45-17 and 255/40-17. Worked great.
You're not having any PDAS issues? I may have missed that info, but the rolling diameters were off just enough that I didn't feel comfy about fitting them to the AWD setup... I installed the adjustable RS swaybars (Steve W. set me up) so the car is neutral already...

Good to hear that they're working for you. I'd like to use them. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Holy S#!t!