Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lines replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012 | 12:51 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Default Oil lines replaced

After looking deeper into my oil shroud issues i found a leak at the bottom of the tank and a cracked oil hose
decided to dismantle all the oil lines and replace some
hard job getting the oil distributor off, the hose that leads to the filter snapped...must have been brittle
Attached Images      
Old 01-04-2012 | 01:23 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Enso,
Nice pictures. On mine when I replaced the hoses I noticed the rubber mount had sheered causing downward force on the two hoses going to the bottom of the tank when I hit a bump. Mine didn’t look broken but it was, may want to check that if you haven’t already.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2012 | 03:32 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Hey Sschultze
looks like like we have the same colour

yes my rubber mount is broken...not sure if i should disassemble the thermostat to clean and examine? any advice?

thanks for your reply
Glenn
Old 01-04-2012 | 04:42 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Enso, yes we do, I really like midnight blue metallic on these cars but I may be bias. I removed the thermostat to clean the area up. My thermostat was covered with caked on oil. I replaced the rubber mount but I didn’t take the thermostat apart because it was working fine. Re-painted the oil tank and put it all back together. With everything cleaned up it will be easier to locate leaks in the future. Also the rubber u-tube on top of the tank has a little valve in it and it was stuck shut. I cleaned it up and now it functions properly. I don’t really know what its purpose is though. The only reason I checked it is I read about it on another thread.
Good luck with your project.
Steve
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2012 | 06:38 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Steve, thanks for the tip about the valve

Cheers
Glenn
Old 01-10-2012 | 10:55 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Default Oil Lines replacement

did i mention the time when i started looking for leaks & the oil line from filter to tank broke in my hand...yikes
getting the ends off off is a nightmare as you all know
when i tried to get the other line off the filter end the metal line to the motor kinked, here we go with dropping the heat exchangers
&*^$@&$@

it wasn't so bad i sprayed them with D40 & Liquid Wrench the night before i used a U joint 13 and an Allan wrench

i need to buy the filter to motor supply line but am going to try to rebuild the tank to filter hose..(thanks to Steve's last venture)
here are a few pics from the last few nights
Glenn
Attached Images              
Old 01-10-2012 | 11:59 AM
sschultze09
Racer

Glenn,
It looks like you’re on the home stretch now. The replacement hose that goes from the oil filter housing to the engine is a very nice part that fits perfectly although expensive. The freshly painted oil tank looks good. Curious how the filter housing to thermostat hose will work out for you.
Old 01-10-2012 | 12:27 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Great job! It was a very dirty, messy job, but once done it will look great and one job ticked off.

But once started, you want to do the rest! ie. cleaning in the arches, pipes and rubbers,etc.

The oil tank looks in great shape, and isn't it a great feeling refurbing one and seeing it look like new and not rust, oily, mucky and so dirty!
Old 01-10-2012 | 12:57 PM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nski
Great job! It was a very dirty, messy job, but once done it will look great and one job ticked off.

But once started, you want to do the rest! ie. cleaning in the arches, pipes and rubbers,etc.

The oil tank looks in great shape, and isn't it a great feeling refurbing one and seeing it look like new and not rust, oily, mucky and so dirty!
+1

Wonder how much 20 years of crud weighs?
Old 01-10-2012 | 01:06 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Nice jackstands
Old 01-10-2012 | 01:13 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

my dad picket these tree stumps up in BC on one of our holidays when i was a kid...i've had them ever since

i recommend at least 1 backup in case one system fails, my grandfather made this fatal mistake

take care
G
Old 01-10-2012 | 01:46 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

That's a real mucky job and you have to just "dive in"with them sort off jobs as there not the most pleasant to do but you now have a big, do it one day job off the list...looks great give yourself a pat on the back man!!
Old 01-30-2012 | 10:02 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Default Finding more oil fixes while i'm at it

while waiting for my parts to come in i found some leaks around the power steering pump,
after getting great info from you guys, desided i would replace the seals on it
it was interesting removing it, i went from top down and the final case removed through the bottom
here are some pics
Attached Images      
Old 01-30-2012 | 10:14 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

here is the steering pump off and getting cleaned
also i had the main oil line, (tank to console) made locally
i used the same ends and just replaced the hose, they did a great job (wire mesh) cost me $80

you can see the thermostat was a bugger to open
Attached Images      
Old 02-03-2012 | 11:44 AM
sschultze09
Racer

Glenn,
My power steering pump is also leaking. I thought it was another oil leak but it has not stopped leaking in that area and I have had the motor oil drained for over a month now. What did you have to remove from the top side to get it out? Did you find any good DIY threads on removing the pump? BTW nice blue oil line

Quick Reply: Oil lines replaced