Bilstein HD rear shock bump stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstein HD rear shock bump stop

Dear all,

I am going to install a new set of Bilstein HD along with Elbach pro kit lowered spring to my 1991 964.
For front should be straight forward. no problem.
For rear, my local Bilstein dealer told me that I need to add bump stop and dust cover. The question is am I order shorter RS bump stop instead of Carrera 2 bump stop? I had search in forum that some people cut the original bump stop when they lower their 964. Did RS bump stop will fit Bilstein HD rear shock?
Thanks a lot.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't the Bilsteins have an internal bumpstop?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Don't the Bilsteins have an internal bumpstop?
Yes. When I recently replaced shocks/springs (Bilstein HDs and H&R Green) I was confused about this bump stop issue. I called Bilstein; the fellow there said the bump stops were internal.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

I know just enough to be dangerous...
Old 12-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Unkle
Pro

I thought it was only on the front that they are internal? But TBH not sure what i did on the rear of mine now as it was some time ago, I was also concerned and spoke to Bilstein in the UK too. But I have doubts now as to whether i launched them or fitted them cut down. Best bet is to speak to Bilstein to be sure, just in case they revised the shock design (unlikely though).
Old 12-18-2011, 04:49 AM
power_up
Racer

That why I ask here for experience and advise. I asked my local Bilstern dealer and they confirmed to me that the rear doesn't have internal bump stop. I confused.

For whom without install bump stop, did the dust boot alone can fit ok? I heard the dust boot need bump stop to fit.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Unkle
Pro

As i mentioned before, i THINK i fitted shorter bump stops on the rear, as they weren't internal like the front. Also if Bilstein tell you they don't have them internally at the rear i would take the manufacturer word over forum info (in most cases).

From Memory on the rear:
When the rear shock is compressed i think the piston shaft nearly disappears into the shock body before it reaches its stop. This may indicate it has a lot of travel before damage would occur. You are only dropping 25mm approx, the bump stop will have say 3 ribs on it in 20mm - 25mm +/-5mm sections, you could just cut one off and you will effectively create the same travel as before, then you know the bump stop and dust cover will fit together and go over the bilstein HD shock piston.

IMO just cut a little off the existing bump stop to give protection to the shock and a little extra travel for shorter springs and refit with the dust cover and be done with it. Job Done

I hope this helps
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

I vaguely recall a post by Steve W where he said that the Bilsteins do have an internal bumpstop, but it only works in the droop position. For compression, you need an external bumpstop.

...could just be my imagination playing tricks of course..
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 AM
power_up
Racer

Thanks.
I may take the word from dealer.
As I have no bump stop and dust boot in my existing old shocks, can I consider use RS bump stop as I need order new parts by the way? Then I don't need buy a C2 bump stop and cut it. What you think?

Originally Posted by Unkle
As i mentioned before, i THINK i fitted shorter bump stops on the rear, as they weren't internal like the front. Also if Bilstein tell you they don't have them internally at the rear i would take the manufacturer word over forum info (in most cases).

From Memory on the rear:
When the rear shock is compressed i think the piston shaft nearly disappears into the shock body before it reaches its stop. This may indicate it has a lot of travel before damage would occur. You are only dropping 25mm approx, the bump stop will have say 3 ribs on it in 20mm - 25mm +/-5mm sections, you could just cut one off and you will effectively create the same travel as before, then you know the bump stop and dust cover will fit together and go over the bilstein HD shock piston.

IMO just cut a little off the existing bump stop to give protection to the shock and a little extra travel for shorter springs and refit with the dust cover and be done with it. Job Done

I hope this helps
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Do a search on the forum, but also on google.

I recall either a dutch owner (with a personal private website) or two british owners having cut the rear bumpstop to make this work.

Please report back on how things work out. My bilstein HDs are on the way and the eibach pro kit is waiting in my parts bin already

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by Navaros911
Do a search on the forum, but also on google.

I recall either a dutch owner (with a personal private website) or two british owners having cut the rear bumpstop to make this work.

Please report back on how things work out. My bilstein HDs are on the way and the eibach pro kit is waiting in my parts bin already

Good luck!
Yes, I had search in forum and google. Both opinion are out there.
For people use bump stop were cut the existing one to shorter.
I will report that later. Still contacting shox for ordering. My eibach also waiting here.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Yeesh. I'd definitely call Bilstein direct on this. If it turns out you need bumpstops, they can be had in different lengths/hardnesses from various suspension and race shops. Here's an example.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 PM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Yeesh. I'd definitely call Bilstein direct on this. If it turns out you need bumpstops, they can be had in different lengths/hardnesses from various suspension and race shops. Here's an example.
Thanks.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 AM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any resolution? I have a set waiting to be installed.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Fred2746
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know just enough to be dangerous...

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD rear shock bump stop