Sponsored by:

another suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another suspension question

brand new to the 964 as i just bought a 91 rolling chassis to build into a play car. so after reading thru all the suspension threads i just wouldnt be happy with the bilstein/h&r green combo and most seem the reds are too firm. i like it more on the firm side so i dont think id mind that but again its just not low enough. im not looking for slammed, just maybe another 3/4" or an 1". i've already read the bump steer threads. after seeing eibachs ERS system i was wondering about using the 2 spring set up for a smoother commuter drive but stiff enough for spirited driving when you want to get on it? it should be as easy to order a 3" i.d. springs with what spring rate i want and have them make the combo 1" shorter than the H&R. bilstein will modify the shocks before they head out so it should be a pretty good solution to the guys wanting a little more low and at a decent price. am i warm or way off base ? thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume that you never want to drive it on the road? If you go much lower than the reds you will be leaving parts on the road.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reds aren't too firm. Maybe it's just me, but I was told over and over again that it'd be a new car when I pulled the 20 year old shocks, struts and springs to replace them with Bilstein HD's and Reds. It was clear that I had changed them, but not too firm by any stretch.

I drive mine 35 miles one way every day I can in the summer (on snowplowed Michigan roads) and it's fine.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I have the Bilstein/HR Red setup. It is low and stiff. It is pretty much a DE car only now. It is really to rough to drive on the road for enjoyment but I'm also running max camber, and RS ride height. I wouldn't suggest going any lower. I can't even make it over speed bumps without scraping the bottom.

Quick Reply: another suspension question