Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever bought a car from Victory Motor Cars in Houston Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I would imagine that if one is in the business of selling porsches, and one choose's to sell 964's, that many of his customers would be cranky after buying. I once called Sloane to see if they had any decent 964's, and he spent a half hour on the phone telling me 100+ reasons why I wouldn't want to buy a 964and why he doesnt like selling them. I bought my car from a shop in the NE, and the guy was nice enough, his mechanic was nice enough. The process was easy enough - Did they tell me everything up front....Hell no - would I have expected them too - hell no - they are selling used cars. Particularly...used porsches, which are not easy to move, and very expensive to fix - So if they 'renovated' the car prior to my purchasing it, not only would I have not paid so little, but their margin would have been lower, and since the price would have been higher, they would have sat on the inventory longer...and would go out of buisness...

I have no comment about Victory, having been there once, it's a nice shop with some fantastic cars (just having walked the floor) - but I dealt with no one there... I like looking at Porsche's, they're pretty.

All this said- I bought my car. It was 20 years old. There were some obvious things I needed to get done, and then I started opening the can of worms and there have been a lot of not so obvious things that needed to get done. I wouldn't blame the guy who sold it. Just the guy who bought it. It's a car. It's mechanical. If you find one, you send it out for a PPI. Spend for the PPI. If you are nervous, go deeper in the PPI if you like and find everything out before you buy. if the car is a pos, it's not the fault of the seller, just the buyer. Now, if there is something wrong with the financial transaction, the paperwork, lies being told, and all that, then ok, blame the people involved....but if the car is what the car is, and the buyer didnt find out on their own prior to buying, then sorry, but buyer's to blame...In my case, when all is said and done, I'll have a 'practiaclly new' 964 for a reasonable amount of money, which is exactly what i intended...I think most guys that buy a 964 for 20k expect that they wont have problems if they "buy a good one". Well, for 20k, can you? It's an old car that will have probs. Someone once said "All old porsche's are a 30 thousand dollar car. Buy one for 20k, and you'll put 10k in. 15k, and you'll put 15k in.." Not sure if those prices arent going up...but it was a point well taken...
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-14-2020)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabler
Run, don't walk from Victory. If you really want to check out a nifty little outfit, look at Euromasters out in San Diego. They sell completely refurbished air-cooled porches of your specifications(color options, etc.) for an excellent price. You can get a completely refurbished 964 with a full warranty for around $27K. I bet Victory can't touch that.
Wasn't Euromasters the ones selling the salvaged title rebuilds? IIRC when I was looking for my 964 I carfaxed 2 of their cars that were rebuilt and restored and both had salvage titles.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cosmos99
Wasn't Euromasters the ones selling the salvaged title rebuilds? IIRC when I was looking for my 964 I carfaxed 2 of their cars that were rebuilt and restored and both had salvage titles.
And they're out of business now anyways...Google their name and see what you come up with, it don't sound pretty (fraud, deceit, etc.)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:48 PM
dynogyno
Instructor

My experience with Victory was excellent, the PPI agreed with their claims, and my mechanic says I got the cleanest 964 he has ever seen. I may have gotten lucky but I can't add to the long, negative diatribes seen on this site. With 20 year-old cars there will always be bad experiences....buyer beware.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott, if you can't find what you're looking for at Victory, you may give Tim Holt a ring. Great guy and usually has a nice selection.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scott watkins
Scott, if you can't find what you're looking for at Victory, you may give Tim Holt a ring. Great guy and usually has a nice selection.
agree, but his mark-up is excessive IMHO. Pictures of his cars are usually at least six months old.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

I will give him a call. I know that going through dealers like this usually mean you will pay more. I'll see what he has and what he is asking. Thanks for the info. If is really helpfull to have people suggest possibilities for tracking down a car.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"but his mark-up is excessive"

Sounds like a sales issue The negotiation is the fun part!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

How is 'excessive' mark up determined? Does Tim Holt disclose his costs and markup? Any chance that he's simply paying more to acquire a nicer or special car? And then marking it up?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by mitch9000
How is 'excessive' mark up determined? Does Tim Holt disclose his costs and markup? Any chance that he's simply paying more to acquire a nicer or special car? And then marking it up?
From what I have seen in the past, from the few times they do list price, if 30K is a fair price for a certain car, and a dealer may ask 35-37, Holts would be in 40-45 range. again, just my .02 - YMMV
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Holt is apparantly very proud of their inventory! I scanned the site, and it sure seems that they lots of very low mile cars. Any known complaints filed with the state AG?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Laker
Drifting

I've never heard a bad thing about them, don't get me wrong. They just seem to be at the high end of the price scale. that's it, and my opinion. Maybe excessive mark-up was the wrong term, please strike from the record.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same views re: Holt. Very nice cars, but very pricey. Still, you never know where a negotiation will end up.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

I talked to him yesterday about the black 92 C2 he has on the web site. he is asking $36.5 K. the car has 61,000 miles, 3 owners, and he says it is very clean. I would bet the car is very nice, but that is a lot of money! I don't know what here payed for it, or what he would come down to, but it looks nice. Just way too much for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
alanp
Instructor

I checked Victory when I was searching last year but they didn't have much in stock I was interested in but seemed like nice folks to deal with when we talked.. Holt had a nice 993 & asking 39K & let me walk with a 36K offer.
Worked out fine when I stumbled on this 964 & even with a reseal/top end... I ended up saving a lot of $$'s & I know it's a well sorted car.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever bought a car from Victory Motor Cars in Houston Texas?