Silly question, but need to ask..

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Horrible. And wasteful.
Totally agree. That practice simply dilutes the oil all the faster.

DME is the car's brain, in a sense.
DME is Porsche's term for the Engine Control Unit: it stands for Digital Motor Electronics. Some folks use the term "DME" to refer to the DME relay which can be quite confusing.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default don't worry

It is not good to idle cars for an extended time period, especially air cooled. it is always better to run vehicles through full cold/warm cycles, to run all of the systems through differing revs. It's not like you are going to break anything, it is just adds extra cold starts, burns gas, and contaminates the oil faster.

Originally Posted by ace17
I store my 964 in the garage during the winter but I start it every sunday evening and let it idle for 30 min or so. Is that ok?

whats DME?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan G.
It is not good to idle cars for an extended time period, especially air cooled. it is always better to run vehicles through full cold/warm cycles, to run all of the systems through differing revs. It's not like you are going to break anything, it is just adds extra cold starts, burns gas, and contaminates the oil faster.
Especially when you can achieve the goal of a charged battery with a trickle charger.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:24 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace17
I store my 964 in the garage during the winter but I start it every sunday evening and let it idle for 30 min or so. Is that ok?

whats DME?
From what I have been reading, horrible idea ...

Originally Posted by Alan G.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Porsche recommend you start and drive the car immediately (gently) and also recommends that you DO NOT let the car idle to warm up, due to lack of oil supply to cams during low RPM's?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulie964
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Porsche recommend you start and drive the car immediately (gently)
Correct. Keep below 4,000 RPM till full op temp achieved. True for all cars.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CoastRider
There's one in every crowd......"put p-cars away....." Huh ????
Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a chat with Steve W. the other day about this crankshaft thrust bearing thing as it relates to starting the car - with the clutch engaged vs. disengaged.

I have always depressed the clutch pedal prior to starting to reduce the load on the battery/starter; will alter my pattern now.

Steve makes good sense here. The crank thrust bearing has little lubrication at cold startup and with the clutch disengaged, the pressure plate forces all of its load directly through it, not good. He tells me that they are seeing bearing failures now with the modern cars which they, some ten to twenty years ago, never saw - a direct result of safety regulations requiring that the clutch is disengaged at start up.

Minor? Perhaps, but just something a guy can do to relieve a simple correctable issue - and a good exercise when one ponders the functions of the system.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Funny you should mention that ...

My buddy with a 1999 996 was asking me about this last week. He got wind of a problem like this with the 1999's, where engines were failing due to some bearing failure, especially those that have been sitting for a while. I had no idea what he was talking about, but it seems like this might be it.

Thanks Kai
Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny you should mention that ...

My buddy with a 1999 996 was asking me about this last week. He got wind of a problem like this with the 1999's, where engines were failing due to some bearing failure, especially those that have been sitting for a while. I had no idea what he was talking about, but it seems like this might be it.

Thanks Kai
I suspect what you may be talking about is a whole different can of worms. IMS?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Quite possible, I just know he was mentioning something about a thrust bearing.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Quite possible, I just know he was mentioning something about a thrust bearing.
FWIW,.....
Thrust bearings, in this case, generally refer to crankshaft support bearings,...

IMS bearings are found in ALL 911 engines except for the new 9A1 and are generally trouble-free. The only exception have been the ones in the M96-powered 986, 996, 987, & 997.1 cars. That's a totally different discussion.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stevie, yer just a veritable cesspool of information and knowledge, aren't you?

Quick Reply: Silly question, but need to ask..