993 varioram into 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993 varioram into 964

So I'll update my other thread later, but given my original engine has zero oil pressure and I'm facing a rebuild, can I ask what folks currently think about putting a 993 varioram engine into a 964. Ideally I'd source a low mileage, well maintained and known engine...

I've done searches and see it has been done - and that if you buy a 993 engine you need the wiring harness and the key/immoboliser but haven't found (yet) either (a) a step by step guide, (b) whether there is any loss of functionality in any aspect (HVAC or other ancillaries etc.) or (c) real life experiences of an owner who has done this - reliability, improvements, would you do it again?

I'm really not sure what I want to do, I like the idea of putting the last of the air cooled engines into my 964 as a consolation to having to spend such a lot of dosh on a car that was running so well, but would love to hear folks views.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:16 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you go with the claim against the mechanic?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Greg964
Pro

A 993 VR engine was just listed in the FS forum.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
MB 911
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

What about the immobilizer?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

One of the guys that comes to our clubs de's has a 1990 c2 with a late varioram 993 motor in it. I don't know specifics, but I do know that everything works normally, ac included. Actually it's a tip too. No more valve adjustments for him.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I put a 97 varioram on my 964 engine - but used a new ECU to control - there are post on this
The biggest issue you will have with the difference is the control of the if you don't get the 993 DME is the control of the vacuum units for the varioram flaps - But this can be done with separate RPM switches.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Ruairidh, I was sorry to hear about your situation on your other thread. If I was in the same situation I would want to keep a 'real' 964 motor in there - having driven these cars back to back I think the character of the two is quite different, and no other Porsche has the bass section of a 964 (with a little bypass or two). I guess a little more power and a few less leaks are attractive..

..but, from where I stand, (and sorry to dig it up) I just cant see how this can just be seen to be just coincidence. Your car was running fine before it went to the shop, the shop carried out a procedure that has as its main risk the chance of introducing contaminants into the oil system, and now the car has a failed oil pump - which is most likely the RESULT of contaminants in the oil system.

Fair enough there's no clear proof, but what's the alternative explanation? The oil pump just so happened to spontaneously fail at the same time this works was happening. Surely this is an open and shut case??

Sorry to go off topic from your 993 question, but I'm with the guy who congratulated you on your passport to a newly rebuilt 964 engine on the shop's time (or somewhere else)- surely this has to be the way forward...?

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about the situation on your car....it sucks and I hope you come out of it better.

As to your question of stuffing a 993 into a 964, it can probably be done but there will be headaches involved. Some of which you already mentioned such as DME and immobilizer. Others will be engine vacuum lines/hoses, transmission compability, etc. These can be solved but may cost more money.

In addition, how can you be sure the health of the 993 engine going into the car? In Excellence magazine, a 993 engine stuffed into a 914 project required a rebuild shortly afterward. I think it also happenned to another on this or PP forum. Getting a new engine is a gamble in itself.

Most important, you do have to consider the value of a car in the end. Given the cost and headache of stuffing a 993 into a 964, would it be more or less expensive than to re-build and hot-rod your engine?

As a buyer, I would prefer a properly rebuilt & hot rodded 964 engine by a good shop than a 993 stuffed into a 964.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Fair enough there's no clear proof, but what's the alternative explanation? The oil pump just so happened to spontaneously fail at the same time this works was happening. Surely this is an open and shut case??
+1.

I still dont think we have heard the response from the garage as to how the car went in perfect but came out ruined. Surely their argument is better than it was just an 'amazing coincidence'? .. particularly when they were messing around with the oil system.

Quick Reply: 993 varioram into 964