Sponsored by:

Disaster - oil pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A light bulb just went on!

Oh, yeah that clears it up well for me. The lobes on the pressure side don't have much clearence, it wouldn't take much to bind it up. Thanks again Steve

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Remember now, the strainer is the intake for the scavenge side: the pressure side is fed directly from the tank so any FO in the hose or tank can be pulled right into the oil pump gears.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Porsche oil pumps are self-priming so this is not an issue unless the tank was inadvertently empty when the engine was started.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, I really wish you were in Dallas................
Old 12-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

This is happening in Dallas??? FUUUU....

That said, there should be people in the metroplex who can competently address it, but at a cost.

PM me some detail more detail if you can. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel badly about this and wish we could all help a bit more - perhaps we can.

I just tore in to the service shop at our local Chev dealer as they half assed a major service on my truck. driving home, I thought of this thread.

Some guys just aren't as in touch with the mechanics of cars as others, some are experts and some really don't know much at all...this is all good and as it should be. But how on earth is a guy who isn't well armed going to approach a shop after a snafu?

The answer is obvious and easy in this case: Arm yourself! You have us and the strength of experience and knowledge this wonderful forum brings. I think a quiet PM to Vandit or other knowledgeable local would help; let him know the name of the shop and let him do a bit of behind the scenes asking around.

Please keep us all apprised with details. Perhaps things will all work out without issue, but if anything at all causes concern...you have the strength of numbers.

Best of luck! Also PM Steve and promise yourself you'll buy parts from him forever!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Porsche oil pumps are self-priming so this is not an issue unless the tank was inadvertently empty when the engine was started.
In my very limited experience (one oil change, one car, one time) while they may be self-priming they are not *immediately* self priming.

I'm embarassed to admit that after my one oil change I just started the car, and did in fact get an awful clanking sound. Turning the car off (faster than light itself!), pulling the DME relay, and using the starter only to spin the motor did eventually get the oil pump pumping.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something happened and we don't have the whole story yet.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Makmov
Drifting

It is almost starting to sound like something happened prior to them trying to start it in front of the cust and kind of knew something was up and perhaps what the customer saw was strictly for the customer's sake.

Something is not adding up though. Not being able to make up some oil lines sure puts a question in my mind about the shop. That is such an easy job, and very common thing to do on an aircooled Porsche. I am surprised that they have no experience with this.

And why in the world would the shop have a cust waiting for car that isn't done? Sure it might be common on your Chevy, but not a Porsche. I would never tell a customer they can pick up their Porsche at 4 O'clock if the job wasn't done. That just puts the pressure on to get it done by 3 O'clock so you have the car clean ready to go, fluids check and topped off and all the paper work done, which you need an hour for.

However, that is when mistakes happen, when you promise what you can't quite deliver on.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is not right. I agree, it sure is sounding like a show to start it in front of the customer. If I had to guess, I would agree with steve that there was some fo in the line. That sucks, bad.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Incompetence runs rampant out there. I had a presumably 5-star Yamaha factory-trained mechanic tell me that a 6-volt battery charger can charge a 12-volt battery. I'd needed a new charger and all they had on the shelf was this 6-volt charger (lord knows why). I even told him I'm an electrical engineer and tried to explain to the guy why this wouldn't work but all I got was glassy eyes and more insistence that a 6-volt charger would indeed charge a 12-volt battery.

Having said that I find it hard to believe there isn't a competent Porsche shop in the DFW area...good luck with your recent woes.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Yeah... well... I run across plenty of factor trainned HACKS...

It kind of comes down to, "you either get it, or you don't" and if you don't "get it" no amount of factory trainning or any other trainning is going to fix a HACK.

I am sure there has to be one or two good Porsche shops in DFW.

You can usually tell the good shops from the questionable ones.

The ones you want to question are those who say they work on Porsche but they are filled up with BMWs, Mercs, VWs and Audis.

The place you take you CLASSIC Porsche will be filled up with other classic porsches and nothing else.

Why you might ask... because word gets around.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you share which shop is that? I will avoid at all cost...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Guys, I don't want to name yet. I've used this shop before (as have other rennlisters) and always found them trustworthy. But it has been two weeks and I am still trying to get to the bottom of this, and my options.

I do really appreciate the time folks have taken to give advice (and comfort). It really helps.

Last edited by Ruairidh; 12-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Is there any way to assess how much would need to be rebuilt here? I've read as many of the relevant threads as I can, but any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Makmov
Drifting

A good rebuild probably averages $14k depending on what it needs. No way of knowing until it's torn down.

Quick Reply: Disaster - oil pump failure?