Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Post Rolling Stall Do You Bumpstart or Keystart?
Bumpstart
100.00%
Keystart
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Bumpstart Versus Keystart After Rolling Stall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:15 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Poll: Bumpstart Versus Keystart After Rolling Stall?

I was wanting to see what you guys tend to do when your car stalls while at speed, say coming off a freeway onto the off-ramp, you clutch in and rest in neutral for a bit and then the engine stalls... do you bumpstart the engine or do you use the starter?

I've heard bumpstarting is bad for soaking the catalytic converter with unspent fuel and thereby shortening its life but sometimes I wonder. It seems easy enough to slip the tranny into third and let out the clutch for a quick restart.

This doesn't happen that often with my car but she is kinda stall happy. I've learned to rev the engine up over 3-4000 rpm and let the engine descend to idle from there while in neutral and that seems to keep the engine from stalling.

Any opinions?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Bump starting should be fine. Why is the engine stalling? Do you have a lightweight flywheel? Or is there another issue?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's started doing it a little lately. I think the ISV is dirty again. It stalls after a long engine brake from freeway speed. I traditionally bump start but shift to a higher gear than the gear used when engine driven. It seems to be smoother.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by August West
I've heard bumpstarting is bad for soaking the catalytic converter with unspent fuel...
I think that's nonsense, frankly- if anything, a keystart is more likely to do this in that the ECU may be programmed to enrich the AFR on a keystart but either way I'm not worried about the catalyst's health from such a rare occurrence.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having the LWF fitted I used to just get a stall when the car was cold just after reversing off the drive. So had to do a key re-start. However, it recently started to stall when approaching a stop (as I came off the gas and pressed the gas and strangely, more so if going up hill). A gentle letting up of the clutch would bump it back in to life.

So, I decided to clean the ISV this weekend:

Didn't stall on the first test drive afterwards, so I'm hoping doing this has helped.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does "bump starting" involve?

Letting off the clutch in second slightly whilst the car is still rolling? Anything else?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f3nr15
What does "bump starting" involve?

Letting off the clutch in second slightly whilst the car is still rolling? Anything else?
Basically yes. You slot it into a higher gear (say 3rd at 30km/h) and gently let up the clutch. The engine will spin back to life. Don't use a low gear though, or it'll burst into life at 7000rpm or more
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can well remember an occassion earlier this year when three of us rennlisters helped bump start a fellow rennlister's car from a standing start because his starter motor was acting up. After about a hundred yards of not starting, we realized that the engine immobilizer hadn't been cancelled before we set off...
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Bump starting should be fine. Why is the engine stalling? Do you have a lightweight flywheel? Or is there another issue?
I don't have the LWF but did get some RS valves, hotter cams, and a sportcat but have yet to dynoflash my car yet. I'm running with a Steve Wong chip which does great but I'll still get the occasional stall. ISV and MAF have been cleaned as well.

Thanks for all the input guys! Now I won't have to shame myself every time I bumpstart the old gal.

Quick Reply: Poll: Bumpstart Versus Keystart After Rolling Stall?