Sponsored by:

Help determining 964 rs replica value

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help determining 964 rs replica value

I tried searching for a thread dedicated to input on car value but seems it's done on a case by case basis, please point me in the right direction if I'm wrong. I'm looking for a 964 C2 manual for the RWB treatment and I've come across this one in NZ (not sure if the owner is a member). They're like hens teeth here to find (maybe even worse).

Here's the details and the link to the sale...

Road registered race car. Porsche series, NZGTs, etc. Targa/rally. Good road car.
Engine:
3.6 with RS computer and after market chip
Transmission:
G50 gearbox, steel synchros, race clutch, RS/Cup pressure plate and flywheel.
Suspension and brakes:
Porsche Cup shocks (Bilstein), RS/Cup springs, swaybars, driveshafts, hubs and brakes. ABS and powersteer.
Interior:
Chrome moly roll cage, Cobra seats, 5 point harness, MXL data logger and dash monitor.
Body:
Fibreglass bonnet, front guards, bumpers, engine cover and side skirts.
2 set Simmonds 18" wheels plus 1 set 17" for wets.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-315205850.htm

Clearly the plastic parts used for bodywork don't fit that well but most of those will be hitting the bin when it gets the RWB treatment. I guess the question is, given that the owner has done a good job with all the other parts and mechanical upgrades, what's it really worth? (pending PPI)

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would describe that more as a '964 race car' rather than an 'RS replica'. In the UK, 964 race cars go for between £25K and £30K. Here's an example:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3314709.htm

Given the current exchange rate (£ to NZ$), I would say their asking price of NZ$55,000 is bang on the money. However, I would want there to be no rot and the engine to have had a recent rebuild and not many racing hours on it, for that money.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Thank you for the reply. UK is definitely the easiest market for me to compare to (Oz is over priced and US under priced vs NZ) and that one in the UK is like a LHD sister of the one in NZ (minus the wheels).

I've asked about how long ago the engine and box were rebuilt and will get it off to a PPI as well.

Fingers crossed!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Ok, so apparently the engine was rebuilt in 2005. Valves last done in 2007. Hasn't been raced since 07/08 season in NZ.

Would imagine it wants a strip down and refresh even if it hasn't seen much use since 2008 wouldn't it?

I can't just deduct the rebuild cost off the asking price for an offer but does 5k less seem about right?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Hi Sean, I would say it's good news that it's already had a rebuild (presuming it was done by a reputable shop). Although it might seem to have been done a while ago and it could then have had a couple of hard years use after, there could still be a lot of hours left in it. I found this thread in the racing section that you might find helpful:

When to rebuild a 964 race car engine

You will see that there are a variety of opinions of how many hours a 964 engine, used for track, can go before needing a refresh.

However, I would still play the card of "I would expect for $55,000 to get a car with a recent rebuild, so what can we do on the price...."
Old 11-30-2011, 01:06 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly the plastic parts used for bodywork don't fit that well but most of those will be hitting the bin when it gets the RWB treatment. I guess the question is, given that the owner has done a good job with all the other parts and mechanical upgrades, what's it really worth? (pending PPI)

Thanks in advance for the input.

good luck on the purchase & will be interesting to see another rauhwelt evolve.
when i visited nakai - san at his shop early this yr. he mentioned that someone from N.Z. was discussing a possible build. perhaps was you?
(i assume importation tax precludes buying a car in nihon-land - shipping home).
cheers
Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Well it doesn't look like I'm going to go with this car. Has had some serious body work and has leak down of 30% on two cylinders. Considering a C2 manual from the UK given the exchange rate although they're all too nice to cut up to RWB.

Can import from Japan or UK and did talk to RWB about getting them to source and build the car there and then ship it to NZ but that's getting close to 100k all in by the time I'm down that route.

I doubt it was me but they did say it would be the first in NZ. I've got time, car doesn't need to be ready until next October but these things always take twice as long as you think!

The hunt continues.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 AM
geordie
Pro

If you want RHD, you might want to look at this :

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3459917.htm
Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Thanks! That's a perfect candidate...

Have dropped them a note.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Well it doesn't look like I'm going to go with this car. Has had some serious body work and has leak down of 30% on two cylinders. Considering a C2 manual from the UK given the exchange rate although they're all too nice to cut up to RWB.

Can import from Japan or UK and did talk to RWB about getting them to source and build the car there and then ship it to NZ but that's getting close to 100k all in by the time I'm down that route.

I doubt it was me but they did say it would be the first in NZ. I've got time, car doesn't need to be ready until next October but these things always take twice as long as you think!

The hunt continues.
ok, so just so you should know....there are his builds on resale/high end broker market here....
69000km, 5.2millionjpy, like here
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...ml?TRCD=200002

along with 4 or 5 others, including his own personal build.

seems to me always cheaper to buy mods on the hoof rather than from scratch?

cheers
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by geordie
If you want RHD, you might want to look at this :

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3459917.htm
That's an interesting description and there is clearly something he's not telling us. I'm presuming there was a big accident or something in it's past.

I know of another C2 in the UK with an 'interesting history'. This time is it's a non sunroof car that has been converted to, as near as damn it, cup spec. Very light, lovely cage and very stiff. The interesting history bit is that it was originally a LHD that has been converted to RHD! A bit less money than the one in Geordie's link. Sean, let me know if you want contact details (it's not currently advertised at the moment).
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
ok, so just so you should know....there are his builds on resale/high end broker market here....
69000km, 5.2millionjpy, like here
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...ml?TRCD=200002

along with 4 or 5 others, including his own personal build.

seems to me always cheaper to buy mods on the hoof rather than from scratch?

cheers
I think all the pre-built 964s are LHD aren't they? Sorry, struggled with the Japanese even with a translator.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
That's an interesting description and there is clearly something he's not telling us. I'm presuming there was a big accident or something in it's past.

I know of another C2 in the UK with an 'interesting history'. This time is it's a non sunroof car that has been converted to, as near as damn it, cup spec. Very light, lovely cage and very stiff. The interesting history bit is that it was originally a LHD that has been converted to RHD! A bit less money than the one in Geordie's link. Sean, let me know if you want contact details (it's not currently advertised at the moment).
Yes please that would be great.

Thank you both for your help.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KiwiSean

Yes please that would be great.

Thank you both for your help.
OK I'll make enquiries for your.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
geordie
Pro

[QUOTE=boxsey911;9066228]That's an interesting description and there is clearly something he's not telling us. I'm presuming there was a big accident or something in it's past.

My thoughts, too.

The price seems well shy of the going rate for a late model track day special in a desirable colour (albeit non original).

I assume Cat C/D, so HPI needed.

Depending of who has done the work, might still be worth a butchers ....
Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by geordie

My thoughts, too.

The price seems well shy of the going rate for a late model track day special in a desirable colour (albeit non original).

I assume Cat C/D, so HPI needed.

Depending of who has done the work, might still be worth a butchers ....
Agree with you on all counts. My guess is that the slightly apologetic wording of the ad is because they know that most customers looking for these cars want a squeaky clean history for future re-sale. A customer that just wants one as track toy could do much worse than look at this one.

Quick Reply: Help determining 964 rs replica value