Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Track Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet Track Question

Probably a stupid question but do any of you guys with Cabriolet's ever track your cars or are they just too flexy with the roof off for that kind of performance? I really love my car and it feels very quick.

Its got great brakes, handles well once you get used to it but I always assumed that a convertible was never going to be a candidate for serious handling. My last car was a BMW 335i with the sports package. Fun but didn't have the character that my current car has.

Will I crack the tub or break anything if I push it hard at an amateur event?

Dan
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is not a cabriolet but we do have one C4 cabriolet competing in our class, you can see it in my avatar picture next to my car, and it does very well in our local Porsche Cup, not winning but always achieving good times and without any issues involved AFAIK
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Dan,
you are going to need a roll cage and a full face mask at a minimum. The cage makes the rear seats (more) useless, so if you plan on having kids in the back, something else to consider.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan; track (race) or track (DE)?

If DE, go out and have fun. Until you have quite a bit of experience (pick a number, say 50 events/100 track days) you won't even begin to explore the limits of your cab. Enjoy the ride!

If race, you still need the 100 track days and by then you'll have realized that you will need a dedicated track car and it won't be the cab.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely no full on race driver. I'd just like to get together with some local guys and hit the track every now and then to have some fun. It sounds like the chassis of the Cab is relatively stout. I'm assuming there is some value in adding a strut tower brace? Any suggestions on brand? Also do any of you run the drilled rotors in stock size? Do they crack with heavy use?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

For the the being, insure you have fresh oil, fresh stock brake pads, clean unworn rotors and please, please, fresh quality brake fluid.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:07 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Nothing cab-specific to worry about breaking.

You will need at least a bolt-in rollbar (not a cage) for any track days. DAS or Safety Devices seem to be the preferred/recommended vendors. Bars are ~$1k +ship.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:22 PM
dntlvet
Pro

The brake fluid change is critical. I saw a guy hit the wall due to no brakes and he figured his 10 month car would be fine to track for fun. Fun turned into disaster on day #2.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:15 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Brake fluid is being changed soon and will be done on a yearly basis. I want the big red brakes on my car and was going to wait until I found them so i could do everything at once. I also have the D90 wheels on it now and need to find some Cup 1's so the new brakes will fit.

I'll spend money on stopping better before I spend money on going faster. The stock brakes are pretty damn good as they are I must say but don't feel they are quite as good as my old BMW 335i brakes. Where can I find new Big Red brakes and adapters to fit? Pelican no longer sells the kit.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:49 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Your stock brakes will slow the car on the track far better than the 335i.

Save that money for a year and spend it on 5 additional DE weekends, another brake fluid change, pads and tires.

And beer for the rest of us!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
90_C2_Cab
Instructor

Several good points have been made here. One thing I just discovered - it could be that the brake fluid in the car is the original! I ran a car fax check and this car was only driven 3k miles in the last 10 years. Sat in a garage under a cover most of its life. I knew the owners for 12 years and I never saw them drive it once! I can't find any receipts for a brake fluid change so with 22 years and 25k miles it has to be loaded with moisture. Maybe that's why they don't feel as solid to me as the 335i.

I also think the roll bar is a great idea since I can get a bolt in model and the top will still go up and down with it installed. That's a grand well spent!

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Track Question