Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not nearly enough info to make a judgement on the sale of your car. Those wheels look awesome btw.

Need to know asking price.
Need to know more about the car.
Need to know marketing info
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm going to go against what everyone else here has said and say put it back to stock. Originality *always* sells the quickest. Most guys when looking for their Porsche have images in their head of the car they saw in the showroom or magazine article.

When I'm looking to buy - and I've been looking at 964s recently as well - if I see a car that has been modified I pass and keep looking (unless the mods are minor and easily returned to stock). The buyer for your car has to have pretty much the same taste in 964s as you do. He's out there somewhere it just may take a while for you two to come together.

Several guys here have suggested taking your track oriented car even further towards serious track weapon. Now you're going to be targeting just track interested people. Nothing wrong with that except you're shrinking your potential market even more.

Look at the 87-89 G50 Carreras. The ones that sell for the highest dollar are the factory original examples.

Last edited by KNS; 11-23-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by KNS
I'm going to go against what everyone else here has said and say put it back to stock. Originality *always* sells the quickest. Most guys when looking for their Porsche have images in their head of the car they saw in the showroom or magazine article.

When I'm looking to buy - and I've been looking at 964s recently as well - if I see a car that has been modified I pass and keep looking (unless the mods are minor and easily returned to stock). The buyer for your car has to have pretty much the same taste in 964s as you do. He's out there somewhere it just may take a while for you two to come together.

Several guys here have suggested taking your track oriented car even further towards serious track weapon. Now your going to be targeting just track interested people. Nothing wrong with that except your shrinking your potential market even more.

Look at the 87-89 G50 Carreras. The ones that sell for the highest dollar are the factory original examples.
I agree with this.

I would much prefer an original car to on that has been modified.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS

Several guys here have suggested taking your track oriented car even further towards serious track weapon. Now you're going to be targeting just track interested people. Nothing wrong with that except you're shrinking your potential market even more.

Originally Posted by Makmov
I agree with this.

I would much prefer an original car to on that has been modified.

Guys, re-read the OP...while you're probably right about what it is you are talking about, he isn't asking whats going to help with resale. He's decided to keep it and make it a bit more of his own.

As of right now, its one of the most stock 964's out there anyway...g-pipe, wheels and a strut brace, but apparently that didn't help him all that much with selling anyway. Would you actually turn a nice car down for that?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Drive it and enjoy it! These cars are special and want to be pushed. The car looks fantastic as it is!
What suspension are you running. It sits perfectly!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChaseN

Guys, re-read the OP...while you're probably right about what it is you are talking about, he isn't asking whats going to help with resale. He's decided to keep it and make it a bit more of his own.

As of right now, its one of the most stock 964's out there anyway...g-pipe, wheels and a strut brace, but apparently that didn't help him all that much with selling anyway. Would you actually turn a nice car down for that?
The reality is unless he never plans on selling it the same applies.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Scotty 79
Advanced

Smile

Wow. Thanks again everyone. I was asking $22,500 for the car. I know that is all the money but it is a really solid car with service history, window sticker etc...
My wife is a PCA Zone Rep and we are doing a lot of travel. We really wanted a Cayman S, but I could not even get anyone out to see my car. Bad time of year to sell a car I know.
To ChaceN's point, it is not heavily modified and I am being completely forthcoming here and it still did not matter. I had guy offer $15,000 over the phone. Can't make this up!
Thank you all for your input and ideas. Cheers!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Year, mileage, interior color?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scotty 79
Wow. Thanks again everyone. I was asking $22,500 for the car. I know that is all the money but it is a really solid car with service history, window sticker etc...
My wife is a PCA Zone Rep and we are doing a lot of travel. We really wanted a Cayman S, but I could not even get anyone out to see my car. Bad time of year to sell a car I know.
To ChaceN's point, it is not heavily modified and I am being completely forthcoming here and it still did not matter. I had guy offer $15,000 over the phone. Can't make this up!
Thank you all for your input and ideas. Cheers!
Yeah, that is STRONG even for a C4 which typically commands a preimum.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Scotty 79
Advanced

Smile

I have not seen a C4 model go for more than a C2 (2 cars the same year/condition/options). I was told when I was looking for mine, by 2 Porsche techs, not to get the C4 (too complex and too costly to repair). That said I have not look at every C4 for sale.

Vandit, it is a 1990. The interior is tan and it has 120,000. It is a southern California car all its life and the over all condition is very good.

Guys, you have been great thanks again. I will post pics as the car morphs.

Last edited by Scotty 79; 11-23-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Information change.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't cheap sell the car. There were not that many made. When you get a real buyer that wants a 964 for the right reasons, then you'll know it. They won't get weak in the knees and try to low ball you.

I hope you told the weak-suck that offered you $15K that he must have forgotten to take his reality pills.

It looks like a beauty. I love the color, stance and wheels. Good luck with selling it, or better yet - keeping it.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Scotty 79
Advanced

I wish I had said something! Thought of a bunch of cool retorts (after I hung up the phone).
Mitch 9000,thanks for the kind words

Quick Reply: What can I do?