Sponsored by:

Fresh Paint (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
93 964 Targa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fresh Paint (with pictures)

After three years of blissful 964 ownership, one of my doors got dinged up at the end of the summer. Because a new door was required and because there is no break in the sheet metal from one side of the targa to the other around the back, almost the whole car ended up with a new coat of paint.

Kudos to the body shop (Europros in Gaithersburg, MD no affiliation). Jack Ford (the owner of the shop) took his time with the job and got everything just right. He even took care of several things seemingly unrelated to the damage (like repainting the targa bar) just because he thought the finished product would look better. Jack also found what may have been the last remaining 964 targa rear window seal anywhere (it was found in Denmark after Porsche told the shop that the seal had not been produced in years and that no aftermarket producer had even bothered to buy the mold for the seal once OEM production was discontinued). Needless to say, 964 targa owners should be make sure they have a new seal in hand (or have some other plan) before doing anything with the rear window.

Anyway after driving the car virtually nonstop for the past few weeks, I paused today to wipe the smile off my face and snap some pictures. Although I rarely post, this is the only Porsche-related web forum I read, and I've learned more about 964s from you guys than from any other source. These really are great cars. Many thanks to all of you Rennlisters for making sure that message is heard loud and clear. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Peter
Attached Images         

Last edited by 93 964 Targa; 11-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:24 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Peter,
The car looks great!

I'm glad to hear of your experience with Europros. I need to have a new rear bumper cover painted and intend to use the same shop.

Andreas
Old 11-19-2011, 05:45 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be paying those guys a visit soon...
Old 11-19-2011, 05:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by campoj2
I may be paying those guys a visit soon...
Did the table stay in the truck on the trip home?

Andreas
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

car looks awesome!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. I know what you mean. I've been worried about the seals for the Targa top for a while. I hadn't really thought about the glass but may have to just bite the bullet and do some shopping over the next few months. Thanks for posting!!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:01 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

looks great and very nice licence plate
Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did they pop out and reseal all the windows? how much do the window seals run anyways? anybody???
Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey the car looks great. I think I need to do that to the Targa bar too....Mines kinda faded looking. WHat kinda paint is on the Targa bar? Satin black?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM
passion911
Instructor

Sweetness! Congrats!!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice, love guards red
Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by 93 964 Targa
Kudos to the body shop (Europros in Gaithersburg, MD no affiliation). Jack Ford (the owner of the shop) took his time with the job and got everything just right. He even took care of several things seemingly unrelated to the damage (like repainting the targa bar) just because he thought the finished product would look better. Jack also found what may have been the last remaining 964 targa rear window seal anywhere (it was found in Denmark after Porsche told the shop that the seal had not been produced in years and that no aftermarket producer had even bothered to buy the mold for the seal once OEM production was discontinued). Needless to say, 964 targa owners should be make sure they have a new seal in hand (or have some other plan) before doing anything with the rear window.
Very nice looking car and repaint job. I have a 92 Targa, with the potential for some repaint work in the future, so I noted your reference to the shop in Gaithersburg (which is actually closer to me than you). Some helpful points you made. Continue to enjoy your "new" ride!! Thanks, Peter.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Any plans for suspension work?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 AM
93 964 Targa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words. For those thinking of using the body shop, one thing to note is that EuroPros just moved to a new location near the Montgomery County Airport so make sure you are headed to the new address before driving over there. The new building is pretty impressive -- a big open warehouse with 25 or more cars under roof. I think they are having an open house sometime in the next couple months. If I get word about it, I'll share the info here.

Here are responses to other questions in the thread:

1. studlee did they pop out and reseal all the windows? how much do the window seals run anyways? anybody???

Yes they had to remove both the windshield and the rear window glass. I don't think they had to buy a new front window seal. For the rear window in a 964 targa, however, the seal is glued in place so it's virtually impossible to remove it and the glass without damaging the seal and needing a new one. The cost of that hard-to-find seal was $295. One other thing I learned about the rear window targa glass is that to get it in and out you have to take all the oil out of the car and drop the oil tank.

I could also mention that I just ordered a new seal that goes between the targa bar and targa top ($279) and the one between the top of the windshield and the targa top ($142.50). The shop is going to put these in for me when I bring the car back next month for the last few trim pieces (small black plastic plugs that fill the four little holes along the front edge of the targa bar).

2. ducnine Hey the car looks great. I think I need to do that to the Targa bar too....Mines kinda faded looking. WHat kinda paint is on the Targa bar? Satin black?

Not sure what type of paint they used for the targa bar but yes it is a satin black finish.

3. hawk911 Looks great. Any plans for suspension work?

Thanks. Actually yes I'm thinking about moving to larger wheels and may be lowering the car somewhat. I use the car on the weekends (it makes the endless shuttling of kids to sporting events very enjoyable) and have done just a couple track days in the three years I've had it.

I guess from what I've read here the easiest thing might be to just find a set of ROW stock springs and swap them out for my current set of USA lifters. Of course, I'd be interested to hear any thoughts / advice.

On the wheels, it seems like most folks with targa's have stuck with a stock or near stock look. I was thinking of going to 17s or 18s and something that evokes the classic Fuchs look -- nearly all black with a silver rim. How do you think that would look? Any recommendations on specific wheels would be appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement.

Last edited by 93 964 Targa; 11-21-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great, Peter!

Quick Reply: Fresh Paint (with pictures)