Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW Club Sport, non-RS vs RS differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default KW Club Sport, non-RS vs RS differences?

What are the differences between the KW Club Sport coilovers for the C2 and for the RS?

The pricing difference is a couple of bills more for the RS set, so i'm assuming there's something different/better about the RS set.

Carrera 2 kit
http://kw-store.com/products/complet...e-911-964.html

RS/RSA kit
http://kw-store.com/products/complet...964-54154.html

Last edited by Vandit; 10-15-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Removed answered question from original thread.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
I have a couple of questions.

Are the mounting points and fitment of suspension on a normal C2 different from an RS? If so, how, and what would need to change to put suspension made for an RS on a C2?

the mounting points and parts are the same except for the bushes, RS uses a metallic joint, normal uses rubber.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Thank you for your response.

I just read through here and it seems RS parts, OEM or aftermarket, should bolt-on to my car. It's a '91.
http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/rs_suspension.htm

So I guess my remaining question is the difference between the normal C2 KW CS kit and the RS KW CS kit.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I emailed KW North America and their response said that while both kits use the same spring rate, the kit use different parts and the damper setup is different. Not as specific of an answer as I was hoping.

Do we have any vendors/tuners on the board that can maybe shed more light on these kits? NineMiester?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you go head long into buying the RS kit. price up the uniball top mounts first ! The shocks are different because the diameter of the rod connecting to the uniball is larger on an RS, that's probably the main difference.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Just to be clear. The RS uses a specific Porsche uniball top mount. I don't know of an equivalent after market one. If anyone does please post. It's mainly to do with the diameter and thread length of the shock/ damper rod .
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
Before you go head long into buying the RS kit. price up the uniball top mounts first ! The shocks are different because the diameter of the rod connecting to the uniball is larger on an RS, that's probably the main difference.
the threaded rod at the top of the shock seems to be pretty standard in size and pitch, from my own experience Bilstein, JIC and Moton all use the same thread anyway. Some of the rods are longer than others but all 3 of the above can use the same top mounts spherical joint or otherwise, since 964RS models used Bilstein so any shock or strut that is designed for that model will work fine.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Keep in mind that this art number is listed under the RS America too. So do RSAs have the same type of top mounts as an RS?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that this art number is listed under the RS America too. So do RSAs have the same type of top mounts as an RS?
No RSA used the same rubber front shock mount as all other 964s except the RS, but the thread pattern where the shock rod connects to the top mount is standard

see the threaded rod at the top of the shock? that has to mate to whatever shock top mount you want to use, they are all standard as far as I have had experience w/ them

here is a typical spherical joint top mount, the big nut holds everything together, the bushes mate the rod to the spherical joint on the left in the camber plate
Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pricing difference is a couple of bills more for the RS set, so i'm assuming there's something different/better about the RS set.
Just to add to your confusion...the clubsport kit bought over here (from Design911) is cheaper (by £15) for the RS than it is for the C2! At the current exchange rate the kit would also be over $500 less for you!

My guess is that the RS kit would be very slightly firmer than the C2 kit but since the clubsports are already firm, I think you'd have trouble telling the difference. But neither of them are likely to be as firm as the origingal RS (euro) set up which is a real bone shaker on the street. I'd go with C2 clubsport option.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

That's interesting Bill. I was sure there was a difference. When i get back to UK i will have another look at mine.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

So Bill acknowledges the RS uses the monoball mounts different from a C2 & RSA, however, per Bill's experience, the top mounts do no create a fitment difference between dampers since the shaft/threads are standardized across 964 damper line-up (whether RS or not).

I PM'd NineMiester asking for some feedback on this thread topic as I believe they are a KW dealer and have installed a bunch of these sets, including the ones that are going on their recent 964 build thread.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good thread

Now I know Bill's secret for having such nice shiny parts! He uses Mayo to wipe the brake dust off. Brilliant!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM
C2speed
AutoX

Any one figure out the answer to the original post?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Ok some more info. RS front shocks dimensions for the top of the rod are

thread is M14 x 1.5mm the length the thread extends top to bottom is 22mm and then the rod is plain down to the shoulder of the rod the plain portion to the shoulder is 73 mm. i.e. the top of the rod is 95 mm total from top to shoulder and the threaded portion is a 22mm part of that. the thread of which is M14 x 1.5. So if all Bilstein (Porsche fit) shocks are the same dimension above the shoulder then Bill is absolutely correct.

Quick Reply: KW Club Sport, non-RS vs RS differences?