Sponsored by:

964 Cup ver Swan Neck Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964 Cup ver Swan Neck Pipes

Just a few lines and then off my soap box. A few weeks ago i put a Cup pipe on my 90. Sounds really good nice P car sound. Last night got a J pipe and put that one on went for a ride sounds great. Deeper tone and sounds like a muscle car and a bit louder I now go through the sub div. about 1500 rpms.
Man the two pipes are GREAT in a diff way each to there own. I have sound clips of the two back to back if I can figure how to attach them. The lower torque on the J pipe is makeing me drive the car diff like what was posted before power right off the bat down low. Maybe on the wrong ckeek on the butt dyno I am not sure.

The car sure seems to take off like a rocket now. I would recomend either pipe to anyone that wants to put one on there car. Very happy with both of them but from diff directions. Now when I get tired of one just change it out for a bit.
Changing from a cup pipe to a J pipe took about 1.5 hours from start to finish. O K stepping down ......

Last edited by RW964; 10-04-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 PM
raoul
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Really interested as i've got a fabspeed rear box that replaces the long muffler along the centre bumper and that sounds really deep, burbly and muscle car like which would be similar to the g or j pipe i guess. I've been in a friends car that had the cup pipe and normal final silencer and that sounds, smoother and more flat six like, a higher pitched racy but still refined sound. Would you agree?

Cheers, Raoul
Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Raoul I would say this sums it up.. But seems like what you are talking about is the Cup Pipe if it replaced the first muff. Just made by Fabspeed this may be Y the sound is deeper.. I have noted that ppl using F Speed talk about the car being louder than other pipes. My c pipe sounds great a bit louder than stock at idle but at wot it really wakes up. I only drove with the g pipe for about 5 miles and cannot make a real call on it but sounds good so far.
Just have to idle so the ppl on my street will not hear me ...Time for more R&R after work
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raoul,

like you I have the fabspeed twin outlet, quiet it aint however I think it sounds spot on, do you have a cat bypass fitted ? I was contemplating this but not sure if it will make it any louder or if there are any benefits .

cheers

Gaz
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 PM
raoul
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hi chaps,
yep i've got the same fabspeed box but with the second outlet capped and it's fairly loud and american v8 sounding.....not porsche flat 6. And that's with the cat bypass too. To be honest it sounds good and turns heads but i do prefer the cup pipe sound which seemed more refined until you were nailing it, then it came alive.

Not sure about the noise levels with the cat bypass as mine had it on already but it's a popular mod for livening the car up.

Think i'll go down the cup pipe route and put the fabspeed up for sale.

Thanks for the replies you two.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The cat-bypass and cup pipe will make the car louder. The G-pipe makes it deeper.

Combining a cat-bypass and G-pipe sounds awesome a little quieter than a cup pipe and G-pipe combo:
/ttcsttcsttcs#p/u/11/qS0XHlPjUJM
Just cup pipe ( be aware that a cat-bypass and G-pipe combo can cause the final muffler to crack ) :
/ttcsttcsttcs#p/u/12/yYnS5ieEuSk
Note that a long neck G-pipe ( which uses the mounting point ) is also slightly deeper than a standard G-pipe.

But if you want the world to know your coming combine cat-by, cup pipe and G-pipe
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried all combinations too. Eventually chose for G-pipe and cat bypass. Problem with all bypassed was, that it was simply much too loud. I like loud, but the drone at idle till 1500 rpm was just giving headaches.

G-pipe + cat-bypass: sound cool and docile at idle, and sounds beast giving your car the beans. I like the 'dark' sound of the G-pipe versus Cup-pipe. Also Steve Wong recommende cat-bypass + G-pipe above cat-bypass + cup-pipe power curve reasons (it was I believe).

Either way the 964 original exhast system is a bit crappy. Totally not symmetrical for the cilinder banks, or better equal length individual exhaust ways for each cilinder.

Quick Reply: 964 Cup ver Swan Neck Pipes