Sponsored by:

ALMS @ Road Atlanta (who's going?) - We did, sharing pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:40 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default ALMS @ Road Atlanta (who's going?) - We did, sharing pics

My son (8) and I have really enjoyed watching all the incredible race track battles this year in the ALMS series. Last weekends race at Madza Raceway was another epic race. It's amazing to see cars battling bumper-to-bumper for podium spots hours into a race. (screw F1)

All that to say, I'm taking my son to Road Atlanta for the Petit Le Mans next weekend (Sept. 30/Oct.1). It will be our first trip to the track, and we plan to car camp at the track. Car camping in a Porsche? How cool is that!

We hope to arrive on Friday in time for the IMSA GT3 race and autograph session. Then qualifying.

So two questions:
- Who else is going?
- Where's the best spot to camp with my son? Family camping @ turn 4 or camp at turn 5 (esses?).

I've watched track-side videos on Utoob to get some perspective, it looks like turn 5 is the place to be (also within sight of a Jumbo-tron?).

(Road Atlanta Map -- Link)

Hope to meet some of you at the track!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 10-04-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:33 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

What a trip. They we handing out "I was there" bumper stickers...that's kind of how it felt being there.

It was ALMS' season ending race, with the extra bonus that the World Le Mans Challenge cars were also invited to the party. Incredible sports car sights and sounds both on track and off the track. Nice people everywhere, all in a party mood.

Do yourself a favor, go to an ALMS race next year and drive the long way home! Here are some pictures from our adventure.

Here's a link to tons of pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/udoreis...011PetitLeMans

Arrived just in time for the IMSA GT race. Perfect introduction to Road Atlanta.

Now time for a pit walk and for my son to get some autographs. I now have lots of new posters for my garage walls.

Lotus

Some nice finds at the Porsche Corral.

[\

Where's my camping spot? Most of the RVs and campers arrived a week early. Good thing the 964 is small!

We took a wonderful pit lane stroll as the teams prepared for the race (post qualifying). Great access to the teams. Thanks Falken for the pit crew jersey!

Let's get ready to race!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:33 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

We packed up camp on Sunday morning, now it's my turn to drive. We're taking the long way home, through the mountains up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The BRK is great for the views, but not spirited driving. I can highly recommend HWY 178, HWY 221, and HWY 151 for that. 2nd and 3rd gear felt great, either up or down the mountains. The steering, shifting and brakes were perfect everywhere. All the controls are so beautifully weighed for road use (at least for a stock 20 yr./ld. car). All of that, plus the small size of the 964 made for shocking progress through the twisties. Most cars were crawling along hoping to make it home...the 964 was charging from corner to corner.

Finally back at home. Time to unpack the car and air-out the camping gear.

See you there next year!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, awesome pics!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,733 Posts

Very nie thanks for posting - love the night shots in the paddock.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone tell that Audi the way to the finish is not thru the litterbox?

Quick Reply: ALMS @ Road Atlanta (who's going?) - We did, sharing pics