RSR project car ideas and Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Leon.Johnson677
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR project car ideas and Q's

Hello,
So i'm currently awaiting the arrival of my 91' Porsche 964 C2 coupe. now i have many ideas for this car some are DIY jobs and others are justing getting parts and installing thme but i'd like any feedback and opinions on what i-could do to the car.
Bodywork

To lay out my ideas il start with the body panels of the car, I'm planning to turn it into a 74' RSR clone (always loved the look of this car and want a car alittle more modern so a 964 retro conversion is perfect for me). When would be the best quality product to get the turbo rear fenders, RSR front fenders, RSR front bumper, ducktail spoiler, and i need suggestions for the rear bumper, ive been wrestling with getting the RSR rear bumper but i like the middle reflector so i might opt for either the stock turbo rear bumper. I have found Porsche Shop.com and found decently priced options of all of these pieces, has anyone had an experience with this company? is it reliable and the parts of good quality? now to move onto the lights, i NEED lots of light when driving i can't handle if theres not enough ligh, so HID kit for the headlight is a must. I was also wondering if anyone has done this but i was thinking of putting a set of KClites HID driving lights in the corners of the oil cooler opening of the RSR front bumper for addition style and light when needed. I would welcome any suggestions on whether you think this is feasible, and whether it would interfere with anything.

Lights
I was mesmerized by the lights on the new 918 RSR that came out recently, that being said i'm going to try to replicate the 4 outward LED for DRL's for the car. I have found a clear reflective HID Xenon headlight kit for the 964 by AP cars design. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact dimensions of the headlight bucket assembly, to see the size LED lights i would search for. now my idea was to drill holes in the light housing and mount the 4 led light in small tubes (i do not know the best material for this situation, the led light i would imagine would be no bigger than an inch in diameter, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated). Then use a high quality slicone sealant or epoxy to cement the tubes in place. I would plan to hopefully creat the tube to be flush with the curvature of the reflective surface to maintain as much reflective power as possible of the HID's. Another issue of this project is heat. what will the temp. inside the housing going to be with the HID's on? will it be hot enough to wear down the LED lights. and i would like opinions on how you think this will look, my concern is not when its on but when its off and no lights are on, will it look cheap, or more exotic?

Now the rest of the car is pretty set in stone matte black powder coated 18' RUF wheels, car will either be matte black or white and carrera side skirt decal. Any modifications to the engine, transmission, suspension (other than lowering the car), interior, and sound system i am not sure about yet, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Hi Leon, modifying is a personal/individual thing and from your description it seems you are doing something VERY individual... '74 RSR front end with 964 turbo rear and 18" Ruf wheels is a mix of years and styles that is likely to confuse the look of your car with the slim front bumper and heavier 964 rear bumper, this is just my opinion. It is also likely to undermine the value of your car as there tends to be demand for replicas and recreations such as a full retro RSR conversion along the Paul Stephens lines or a 964 RS conversion but 'mixtures' are uncommon.

If you're set on an RSR front with DRL's you could hide them inside the vents next under the headlamps?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Leon.Johnson677
4th Gear

This is basically what i look to do, minus the track car feel. now have yet to find a photo of the rear end of this car, but thank you stan for your input i was thinking about possibly putting the drls in that vent. I know this is a very very odd project i was kinda trying to mix the RUF elements with the RSR design. Now with the lip on the RSR front bumper i think it would actually look better with a heavier bumper casue the difference in height would i feel look awkward but then again i have not seen a profile or rear view of this car so i can not say this for certainty. And the more i think about it the more i don't want to put forth the money and energy to do the 918 RSR DRL's, that i dont know will even look good. And i did take into account the diminished value of the car, but i am not planning to sell it unless i hit absolute financial ruin. I hope to be buried with this car!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

If anyone has a handle on doing a project similar to this these guys have done it..Ninemeister
I am considering a similar backdate but have enough on my plate at the moment,an early RSR,'74 RSR
or even 934 style is what I am considering.
here's a project these guys have been working on for the last year I believe,thanks Bert
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-platform.html
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Leon.Johnson677
4th Gear

YES! Budge thats exactly what i'm looking for, thank you so much i will be contacting them about the project very soon!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh Boy!

$$$
Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Leon.Johnson677
4th Gear

Yeah i realize this will be a money burne,! but the satisfaction of seeing it finished eventually will be worth it!!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:33 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

if you need more idea's/impressions of the things you suggest. Search for Rauhwelt here or google it. They have built many of these incorrect (originality wise) but mega wide kick *** porsches based on 964.

Good luck on the conversion!

Quick Reply: RSR project car ideas and Q's