Sponsored by:

burnt brake or clutch smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question burnt brake or clutch smell

My car had a toyota moment the other day (i think i can say that as we also own a toyota) when the car suddenly wouldn't stop accelerating. Cause was the little arm that connects the cruise control to the throttle fell off and got jammed in between such that the throttle wouldn't return to idle! My reaction was to hit brakes before turning car off. In that two or maybe three seconds of running open throttle against full brakes i have created an interesting odor in the car. I believe it's probably clutch but may be brakes - both seem to be operating normally and inspection of the brake pads reveals nothing unusual (clutch is a little more difficult to inspect!).

The question i have is how to get rid of that smell. It's been about a week and it's not going away.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Glad you are ok. A stuck throttle must have been startling. Eek! How to get rid of the smell? Not sure. I take it that you are leaving the windows open?

Have you smelled each wheel? Is anyone making them making the smell still?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smell is definitely coming from the rear end of the car but it is difficult to pinpoint exact source. I suspect clutch as the brake pads appear fine on inspection. The smell is starting to dissipate but i am really surprised at how long it is lingering.

Quick Reply: burnt brake or clutch smell