Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To RS or not RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry mf_rsr, no offence, but i just don't like being told i shouldn't make a post or refer to a car on a public forum, about a car on a public forum/mag. Whether someone spends £200 or £20,000 it doesn't put them beyond comment good or bad if they put their own car out in the public domain. After all my comments are about the RS title/ad not the build, person or car.

Anyway for me, I wouldn't agonise over a badge for the engine lid, it just wouldn't go on, but thats a personal choice. I don't think it sells any better with it as people don't make split decisions on cars like this because of a badge, most will have done research on many forums for months, a simple badge doesn't make it sell any better imo. I understand your comments James and like all things its only opinion, the price I wasn’t fussed about with my comments or the detail of the car, however there are 6 pages on PH for the 964's for sale and six cars with RS in the title that aren’t RS’s, with one per page you start to get what I mean. (i hope)

As i said Lee's car looks great, although I’m not here to defend it, but it doesn’t matter about “no expense spared” the simple point remains, and with this ever increasing trend to put it in the title it does grate a little…
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Unkle,

Unlike many here, I agree with you, and perversly with Lee's result.

It isn't a RS, clearly. Is it better than a standard RS would have been, very probably yes too.

What does that mean? in my world it's an updated RS type, and if I could have badges made like that, then I very probably would.

Kevin
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

What's in a badge.

Records on the car will surely prove the origin of the car and will provide all the answers for a potential buyer.
I understand that for many buyers, the car will be over budget, however for a buyer like me looking for
or building a purpose built track day tool and taking it a step further than the original RS, it's perfect.
These modified cars don't come cheap.
I probably will end up calling mine RS GEN2.

At the end, people keep on putting RS parts on their 911's continuously around the clock, why should we refrain on putting on the badge?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 PM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by provoste
IMHO, it isn't an RS so it shouldn't be badged as one. That said, it's a gorgeous car that is more focused than a factory RS......
+1

Because it' s not a "normal" Carrera2 anymore, if it were me, I would have rather taken the badge completely off ... As saying "not standard...."
Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a great car and really well put together, whether it's badged as an RS or not.
Given Lee openly states it's a homage to the RS, and it's numbers reflect it's a C2, I personally see no problem with it. It's not being sold as one and it's half the price of the Cup or N-GT.
Good luck with the sale and I'm sure the new owner will enjoy his new Replica Sport.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unkle, I get your post. I recognise GT Two's car in the ad and had seen it before. It is a lot for a modified C2. But, then it will always be a special Porsche and special Porsche can always command a premium done the right way. As someone said the market will determine price...

The RS badge question is an interesting one. My own car is styled on an RS with brake ducts, cup wheels, RS rear bumper, RS 3.8 lip spoiler, etc. and at the moment I have de-badged it but have contemplated adding back just a Carrera badge or a Carrera RS badge as well. At the moment there is not much else RS about the car, so is it justified? In performance terms obviously no, but as a replica, I would guess yes although that wasn't really my intention.

Maybe it comes down to the old adage about copying being the sincerest form of flattery? The 2.7 RS has also been copied to death, some are better than others but it seems accepted now that every replica is a homage to the original in the owners individual way. Almost every 356 Speedster you see on the road is a Chesil but in some way I think they work better with Porsche badges too... I think I've convinced myself to buy an RS badge...
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

I think sometimes it's best to keep your views to yourself even though you might feel strongly about it!....peace&love reenlist pep's......I'm off to polish my RS I wish C2.....3.8 turbo nutter barstard thing moneypit.........: )
Old 09-05-2011, 04:52 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Bum, I should have kept my view to myself... I think I contradicted myself....whoops...
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM
GT TWO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting comments.

Should it have an RS badge? probably not. But after a fair bit of consideration I put it on and it cost me nearly £50 and took ages to get the measurements right!

I hope its not upsetting anyone

Thank you for the kind comments on the car, very nice!

Im picking it up Saturday and will take her for a decent run out, I cant wait!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

I'm just looking for my tape & ruler now, to size up!!...just went to buy a badge and there all sold out... How many did you buy for ***** sake!!....
Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT TWO
Interesting comments.

Should it have an RS badge? probably not. But after a fair bit of consideration I put it on and it cost me nearly £50 and took ages to get the measurements right!

I hope its not upsetting anyone

Thank you for the kind comments on the car, very nice!

Im picking it up Saturday and will take her for a decent run out, I cant wait!
I remember that fun thread you put on PH about what to badge it as......I still think you should have christened it as the first ever '964 CS'

Quick Reply: To RS or not RS?