Sponsored by:

Heater blower bypass: Tube vs. Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heater blower bypass: Tube vs. Plate

Claudia lost her A/C and heater blower yesterday in our quest to lighten her load.

The other day I ordered a blockoff plate from Rennline prior to checking in with my guru, advisor and all around good guy (btw, I do order everything I can from him), Herr Weiner. Made a mistake, and I'm glad he caught it.

If we are not running headers without heat exchangers, we must use the bypass tube - not the pretty plate. Steve tells me the exchangers need air flow from the tube or we run the risk of over heating that section of the engine and compartment. I know some have done just this (used the plate), but it is an avoidable mistake.

So, if we have heat exchangers and want to do away with the heater blower, we must use the tube...lesson learned. The pretty plate will have to wait until the engine is built up next year.

btw: Don't believe everything you read. I estimate the heater blower's weight at three pounds and the a/c compressor plus its engine compartment lines at perhaps twelve - total weight removed around fifteen tops.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for lesson.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:00 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
btw: Don't believe everything you read. I estimate the heater blower's weight at three pounds and the a/c compressor plus its engine compartment lines at perhaps twelve - total weight removed around fifteen tops.
I don't know what everyone else is reading...

My heater blower motor and pipes weighed 5.25 lbs... (I had read a couple times it was 5+ lbs.)

Don't forget to the AC components up front, there's another 10+ lbs. when you remove the fan & evaporator from the front fender. (I've read that removing the complete system is worth about 30+ lbs)
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the air con condensor up front being heavy. Get it and the rest of the pipes that feed it, out, if you've already taken the other aircon stuff out of the engine bay.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boxsey911
+1 on the air con condensor up front being heavy. Get it and the rest of the pipes that feed it, out, if you've already taken the other aircon stuff out of the engine bay.
No doubt Boxey; winter project. The a/c condensor will be replaced with a secondary oil cooler, the fan hard wired (as all HVAC and the CCU are leaving also) and a 2d oil temp (for the front system) gauge installed.

Among other mods to include a Motion Control Suspension from Rennsport Systems and a few other goodies.

I will weigh the heater blower on 'Lil Audrey's baking scale when I get the chance to upwrap it.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...and a 2d oil temp (for the front system) gauge installed..
2nd oil temp reading off cooler at the front?

Marc
Old 09-02-2011, 04:18 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

If we are not running headers without heat exchangers, we must use the bypass tube - not the pretty plate. Steve tells me the exchangers need air flow from the tube or we run the risk of over heating that section of the engine and compartment. I know some have done just this (used the plate), but it is an avoidable mistake.
Interesting Kai. The TPC supercharger kit (their latest version) uses a block-off plate on the fan housing but retains the blower motor (with the fan housing - to - blower motor pipe removed). Essentially producing the same lack of airflow across the heat exchangers from the engine fan. They seem to get away with it, and with the additional supercharger heat. Steve seems to know his stuff, but these are definitely contradictory methods.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
2nd oil temp reading off cooler at the front?

Marc
Yep Marc. Claudia has become a track girl now and I think it wise to know the entire system is open and at temp prior to hard work.

More gauges make the car faster anyway.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Interesting Nick; certainly a contradiction here.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know myself and others would really like a definitive statement on this issue as I have the block off plate, with heat exchangers. I haven't noticed anything odd yet, but it makes sense that these things could get too hot and cause issues.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bmohr
i know myself and others would really like a definitive statement on this issue as I have the block off plate, with heat exchangers. I haven't noticed anything odd yet, but it makes sense that these things could get too hot and cause issues.
Otay. I just phoned Gamroth.

He's never given it a second thought. Says the stock exhaust and exchangers are good stock and sure they'll get hotter, but has not seen a problem with the block plate. Says Weiner has a point; I do know Steve to be conservative and can't disagree with him on anything so far.

(btw, Gamroth has the 430hp engine mounted up and says the car is a monster. Has another on the dyno right now and a third in the engine room.)

I'm going to use the tube, as Ian has one coming to me - my plate can wait until the RSR build.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks KaiB I'm going to do the same.

Quick Reply: Heater blower bypass: Tube vs. Plate