Introduction and Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Tim_78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and Advice

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a White 1991 Porsche 964 C4 Coupe a week ago.

This is my first Porsche experience and so far I am loving the car. It handles and accelerates great. So much fun to drive and I can't wait to spend more time driving it. I am sure you all know the feeling so no need to tell more about it.

The car has the common oil leaks (I was aware of it when I bought the car). It is leaking oil from the front passanger side, right before the front right wheel and in the rear right before the rear right wheel.

I am assuming it is the oil cooler line, or is it something else? does anyone have any advice on how to determine what exactly is the cause of the leak?

I am in Atlanta area and looking for a trustworthy Porsche service shop that won't rip me off or try to sell me service that I don't really need. Any names?

I am new to the Porsche world and would like to hear your thoughts, suggestions and advice on how to approach this oil leak and other service related items.

Pics of the car will follow.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

If it is to the rear of the front right wheel, it is probably a flexible pipe problem at the connections on its way to the oil cooler which sits at the front corner.

Rear right, it could be lots of things - this is where the oil thermostat (metal junction with lots of pipes just forward of front arch) and oil reservoir are (inside the rear wheel arch) and lots of other pipe connections. If it is more inboard behind the wheel, it could be leaks from the lower cam covers on the engine.

I suggest you get the lower engine cover removed, get it the underside cleaned and then run it to see where the leaks are. Ensure it gets to running temperature when the thermostat opens and sends oil to the oil cooler.

You don't want to get into replacing lots of oil pipework unless you have to as it can get expensive. It will be worth it though, you don't want to have a pipe let go and ruin your porsche experience.

Don't panic when you see these pictures, i am doing corrosion repairs and respray. These two pictures show front arch - you can repair the pipes from below by taking off the wheel arch liner at the front and from the wheel arch and underside at the rear.

Rob.
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Tim - Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Rennlist.

A leak in the right front could be a couple things, the oil cooler is there and the oil lines that go to it. If you remove the inner fender liner, you can see everything. My advice is to inspect before buying parts.

A leak in the right rear could be a several items. The oil tank, oil lines, thermostat and oil breather hoses are all there. Again, inspection is your first step. If you jack up the rear of the car, remove the rear wheel and the shark fin , you will be able to see most of it. I would clean the area thoroughly and then take the car for a drive. When you return inspect again. If the oil leak has been going on for a long time, there will be oil everywhere making it hard to spot the source. Cleaning first and then taking a drive and inspecting again, the source will be wet or shiny.

Good luck and let us know if you need advice. As for a trust worthy shop in your area? Sorry I can't help with that.

Note: When I bought my coupe 3 years ago, the rubber hoses going between the oil tank and thermostat were weeping. I replaced them and all is dry.

Quick Reply: Introduction and Advice