Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Won't Start...Kinda

Rennlisters,

I have done some searching, but couldn't find any information that would help me with the current car problem.

Problem: Car turns over, but doesn't want to start. It will start when I feather the accelerator pedal, but it does struggle. Sometimes it will start without the extra gas pedal help, but it doesn't just fire up like it used to.

I replaced the DME relay and that didn't do anything, so where should I look next?

Another piece of information is that the 'check engine' light will come on temporarily when starting this way, but then goes out. Once started the car runs great and with no issues. What sensors help to control the fuel pump on startup?

Thanks for the help.

-Skip
Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip, I'll be watching. Mine is similar but without the check engine light. Do you have access to a scan tool? i didn't have any codes, and a DME swap didn't help.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update: I don't think the feathering of the gas pedal is what starts it - it will start after about 10 seconds of cranking the engine. So, what do I look into?

Thanks everyone.

Skip

Last edited by swftiii; 08-14-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Do you have access to a Hammer or scantool? I'd be curious to see what is causing the check engine light to illuminate.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

you could try this too
Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you tried to replace the ignition module/amplifier ? That's the flat component bolted in the left side under the hood, that feeds the coils.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Also in order to determine where the issue may come from, it's a good idea to determine whether the two coils generate good sparks. Use a spare wire and plug, hold it on the engine case and ask a friend to fire. See if cylinder #1 on both coil generate good sparks.

If the sparking is good, inspect fuel line (pressure regulator first, then filter and pump) then vacuum lines on the intake. Sometimes the resonator actuator goes funky and causes trouble (but nothing as annoying as in your case - I would really investigate on ignition and fuel).

The IDLE actuator an also have something to do, but it should still start pushing the throttle.

Good luck with the bug...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, just got back from the weekend at Summit Point and once I get things put away and cleaned up tonight, will start working through these recommendations and will report back as I progress.

Please keep ideas coming if there are more...

-Skip
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been getting an intermittent start problem (usually when hot) that requires a little pedal feather to get started - runs rough with a CEL and then clears after driving for a few minutes.

I finally got around to putting the Hammer (not hammer!) on it and read an open circuit/ground issue to injector of cylinder 6.

If all else fails, you might try looking at the threads here that detail how to check the injectors and injector wiring.

Marc
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Skip, I'll be in Silver Spring (North) tomorrow evening on business. I could bring my Hammer and run a scan, if you like.

Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

I appreciate the offer, but tomorrow will be difficult in my schedule and Silver Spring isn't that close to west Chantilly.

This place is awesome and everyone's willingness to help each other is amazing.

I will keep this posted with the progress.

Skip
Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure if this is related, but on occasion mine is hard to start and requires some gas pedal work to get it to catch. This is always on a restart while the engine is hot. If I don't give it some gas then it will want to stall and the check engine light will glow. If I shut it off then try it again, then it starts right up with no lights.

Sound familiar at all?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know there is a growing list of rennlisters with this and or very similiar issue. Most of which have not been resolved. My car still needs two ignition cranks after sitting for a night to start. One thing that did seem to help the issue as a matter of fact was running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner/upper engine lubricator in the system. During this time while the cleaner was running through my tank the car would fire up after the first start attempt. Def. weaker than before the problem began, but started nevertheless. After the cleaner went through the system a tank or two later I was back to the old 2 crank starts. So i'm thinking it could be related to the above mentioned injector issue. But that is obviously speculation on my part.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have exactly the same issue, but I think it's a fuel pressure issue since I have a fuel leak at the moment

off to the garage ASAP...
Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amroth, that was my first thought as well and it makes the most sense as my issue began after replacing my fuel filter. I figured I must have tweaked the lines somewhere up the system and introduced a leak. Yet, i have no fuel smell or noticable leaks. I will have to test the pressure eventually, but for now it isn't a terrible problem and I have several other issues to address first. Anyway, def. let us know what you find out!

Quick Reply: Won't Start...Kinda