Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has nobody done this before? (factory speaker grills)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEAKERS

Navaros,

I have just fitted a new set of infinity 5020cs speakers up front and ended up attaching the original covers on top of the infinity grills which then push on to the infinity fitting kit it sits slightly proud of the door but I think it looks ok. I have one of the original rings you are after and are welcome to have unfortunately the other one is cracked/split however may repair with a good bonding agent.

p.s. the improvement in sound quality new woofers/tweeters/crossovers is fantastic.

Last edited by GazC2; 02-04-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GazC2
Navaros,

I have one of the original rings you are after and are welcome to have unfortunately the other one is cracked/split however may repair with a good bonding agent.
They could come in handy... let me first see what I can come up with here. I've got a few improvements that need to be done to my install anyway. There is not enough clearance on the driver's side. The passenger side has a door card that bulges out ever so slightly that I have enough clearance between the door frame and the door card, but on the driver's side it is the opposite... so I need to do something about that. Have the idea already.

The tweeters need a minor adjustment as well.

Good I didn't button everything up just yet.

I'll get a separate post going when all is sorted. In the mean time I can confirm that the difference in sound quality is amazing. I'm sure it could be much better with an amp, but from two weeks ago to now it's a massive improvement. Now the head unit is the limiting factor... together with the crappy FM signal. Only my CDs sound good. Getting an iPod cable next
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Navaros,

Sorry to dig back up an old thread - I've been reading through about every speaker related thread I can find on the 964 forum over the past several days. Found yours on page 2 of the search results (My search term was 6.5 speakers). I think I have a good handle on the whole process and will hopefully be replacing my own speakers in the next month or so, but there is one part still alluding me.

The plan is to mount the front woofers directly to the metal frame of the door with an 1/4 inch MDF spacer ring as this seems to be touted by everyone as the proper way to do it - makes sense, no problem. But what I am struggling to grasp is the final part of attaching the grill once the doorcard is back on the door frame. It seems no one takes a picture of this step - the picture sequence goes from doorcard off with speaker mounted to door frame, and then all put back together. I'm a visual learner and I feel like I'm missing one piece of critical information! Plus some threads seem to be suffering from lost images, so maybe someone documented it and it is no longer viewable.

How did you solve mounting the grills on the doorcard? How have others done this? Does the speaker cone poke through the opening of the doorcard? Or is the OEM ring (which you were lacking) reattached to the doorcard for mounting the grill? The solution may be above in post #14 by 964X33, but in your case where you were lacking the OEM parts, I'm curious what you did.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I installed my aftermarket Polk speakers I used these
Steel Mesh 2 Piece Grill for 6 1/2 Speaker Black Steel Mesh 2 Piece Grill for 6 1/2 Speaker Black
as they are similar to OEM look. The grills that come with the Polk speakers were not at all a look that I want.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Originally Posted by HalV
When I installed my aftermarket Polk speakers I used these
Steel Mesh 2 Piece Grill for 6 1/2 Speaker Black Steel Mesh 2 Piece Grill for 6 1/2 Speaker Black
as they are similar to OEM look. The grills that come with the Polk speakers were not at all a look that I want.
Awesome, those look very nice!! Thanks for the idea! Happy with how they've done? Did you mount the speakers to the metal door frame and then the mounting ring for the grills to the doorcard?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

When I installed my aftermarket Polk speakers I used these Steel Mesh 2 Piece Grill for 6 1/2 Speaker Black as they are similar to OEM look. The grills that come with the Polk speakers were not at all a look that I want.
Originally Posted by sooner964
Awesome, those look very nice!! Thanks for the idea! Happy with how they've done? Did you mount the speakers to the metal door frame and then the mounting ring for the grills to the doorcard?

Thanks!
I have Polk speakers in my doors also and they are fugly. I just ordered a set of these covers and I am also curious exactly how you go about installing them. I'm hoping to get rid of the unsightly speaker covers this weekend.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 AM
sooner964
Instructor

This thread should be massively helpful to you: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nsulation.html. It has been my main reference so far in understanding what all is involved, and it is very well documented.

Depending on whether your Polks were mounted to the door frame or not, I think the post #14 above is the answer. If they are mounted to the doorcard itself, then maybe you can pull them back out and swap out the ring and grill. Although if they are mounted to the doorcard, then that would be a really good time to mount them to the door frame, which seems to be the optimal method for sound quality.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sooner964

Thanks!
Yes, that's how I did it. It's been a while but I think I used a plastic spacer between the door card and the frame. Then I put the mounting ring outside the doorcard. The rings hold the grills on pretty well but the grills did "pop" off a few times. I adjusted the rings a bit and now they seem pretty stable.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Yes, that's how I did it. It's been a while but I think I used a plastic spacer between the door card and the frame. Then I put the mounting ring outside the doorcard. The rings hold the grills on pretty well but the grills did "pop" off a few times. I adjusted the rings a bit and now they seem pretty stable.
Ok, that sounds like what I was thinking, then! Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. As much as I love listening to the flat 6 sing its song, it would be nice to also have a nice sound-system in the car and this is definitely something I will be doing soon. A German sportscar sometimes requires a Wagnerian soundtrack! I think I finally have the whole process sorted in my head now. Now for planning and then execution.

By the way, is your car wearing the 16" Cup 92 narrow spoke wheels? I really like those and it doesn't seem like many folks are still keeping them. Looks great!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Anyone use some kind of acoustic insulation behind the speaker? This is done to reduce resonances. My first thought is that it would trap water. Maybe open cell foam would drain well enough. Maybe some dynamat would keep door skin from booming.

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
Anyone use some kind of acoustic insulation behind the speaker? This is done to reduce resonances. My first thought is that it would trap water. Maybe open cell foam would drain well enough. Maybe some dynamat would keep door skin from booming.

Thoughts?
I've seen dynamat applied to both the doors and under the rear parcel shelf in several other threads on this topic, including RicardoD's linked above. Some have fully covered the doors in dynamat while others only in a few places. I'm not sure about insulation behind the speakers, but I certainly share the concern about water. Either placing the speaker in a foam enclosure or putting some sort of insulation behind it in the opening are options, but do not seem to be very well documented from what I've read so far. I think it is probably a good idea for reducing vibration and noise interference to get the best possible sound quality. I'm personally not concerned with adding a small amount of weight since my car is not a track car. Maybe someday I'll be able to have a second one that can be more track oriented, but for now I've got just this one and I want it to be as versatile (livable) as possible.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:17 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Maybe something like this?

Speaker Baffles
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

This is an old thread indeed. Happy it is still useful.

In my case I ended up doing the following:
  1. mount speaker to metal door directly
  2. no dynamat was used, I bought some and tried without, it was good enough for me
  3. put a hard foam spacer in between the door card and the speaker/door, this was to make sure the door card could not start vibrating
  4. mount a large C looking ring against the door
  5. clip grille on this
The C ring is screwed against the door card with the outer edge raised a bit from the door. This works as a clip that holds the grille to the door.
It is a bit fiddely putting the grilles on and off, but they don't fall off while driving.

Good luck, whatever route you go.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Originally Posted by Navaros911
This is an old thread indeed. Happy it is still useful.

In my case I ended up doing the following:
  1. mount speaker to metal door directly
  2. no dynamat was used, I bought some and tried without, it was good enough for me
  3. put a hard foam spacer in between the door card and the speaker/door, this was to make sure the door card could not start vibrating
  4. mount a large C looking ring against the door
  5. clip grille on this
The C ring is screwed against the door card with the outer edge raised a bit from the door. This works as a clip that holds the grille to the door.
It is a bit fiddely putting the grilles on and off, but they don't fall off while driving.

Good luck, whatever route you go.
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it! Yeah I am thinking about maybe a little dynamat, but I also don't want to lose too much of the sounds of the car either!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:03 AM
M-911
Cruisin'

I haven't read this thread properly but I posted this last year, I thought it or at least part of it may of use:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=125...light=#1253779

Quick Reply: Has nobody done this before? (factory speaker grills)