Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has nobody done this before? (factory speaker grills)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Has nobody done this before? (factory speaker grills)

This weekend a new set of speakers will go in... I'll mount them directly in the door i.o. the doorcard. Supposedly I'll have better sound quality.

I have a set of brand new original speaker grills... but since there is no speaker on the doorcard I'm a little lost how to attach them do the doorcard.

Has anybody done this?

I don't want to glue them on. You never know when you want to remove them for whatever reason.

I don't have the original speakers in there right now. They were already replaced with some Pioneer junk.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I installed a set of MB Quart speakers with the OEM grills. How I did this was, I took the OEM speaker housing (box) and used my dremel to fix the housing so the speaker would fit properly into it. The housing mounts onto the door card and has a lip which the grill snaps on to.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
I have a set of brand new original speaker grills... but since there is no speaker on the doorcard I'm a little lost how to attach them do the doorcard.
Has anybody done this?....
Did you buy only part #15 --> 911-555-451-00-01C
It screws or clips specifically onto part #13 --> 911-555-671-00

I know the tweeter screws on like a jar. Haven't messed with the lower door.

I also have MB Quarts fit in the original grille/brackets in the door, by PO.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Laker: yep... Only the grille part 15. So tomorrow I'll be ordering part 13 as well then (still have an order being processed by my local Porsche center).

CabrioArtie: unfortunately I don't have anything that is OEM as part of the speakers. So there is nothing to trim and re-use from that setup.

Thanks for the response guys.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For dramatically better sound, make sure that the new speakers are directly supported from the steel in the door, not off the door card itself. The speakers work by vibrating, and if you insulate them from the mass of the door by placing them over the door card and OEM plastic base plate, you've seriously comprimised the ability of the speaker. Doesn't make sense to buy good, contemporary quality speakers and mount them to the door card.

If necessary, because of the way you're mounting them (original plastic base plate on door card), you can cut/drill some small holes in the door card and plastic plate and place small washers or spacers on the screws that go into the door in order to get a direct attachment of the speaker to the door. You can cut some short sections of tubing, or Lowe's has a good selection of these little tubes that work great. You can select the thickness of the spacers (length of the tubes) to allow the speaker to actually hold the base plate in place, tight against the door card.

Well worth the additional effort.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Good point altarchsa. Like I said I didn't mess with my front doors because they sound great.
The MB quarts' tweeter is in the original speaker grille set, and there is some play when I press on them. The 'woofer' however is in MB Quart grilles and there is no play when I push on them, so I can only hope they are bolted to the doors. I'm not taking them apart to confirm, although now I'm wondering.....
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

I will be mounting them in the door guys... but need something to hold the grille in place. So that plastic support will be doing only that. I'll figure out how to attach the plastick bracket on the door and then just clip the girll over it.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Well, part #13 is NLA.

So I know have original grills and no way to keep them on the door card. The speakers are mounted behind the door card, in the actual metal of the door.

I'll have to rig something to hold that grill. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laker
Did you buy only part #15 --> 911-555-451-00-01C
It screws or clips specifically onto part #13 --> 911-555-671-00

I know the tweeter screws on like a jar. Haven't messed with the lower door.

I also have MB Quarts fit in the original grille/brackets in the door, by PO.
That's interesting, mine's different to that.

The #13 plastic surround is part of the basket of the speaker, so I was going to dremel off the basket, and then just use the outer ring as a mount for the oem grille (with an aftermarket speaker screwed directly to the door metal behind)
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Babaluoie: that's interesting... Do you have a partnumber for that?

So you actually fit the factory speaker grills directly over the basket. The basket then slides in the speaker hole and bolts/screws against the outside of the door card.

I would be fine with anything to put the grills on. Right now it is a bit of a naked sight. The tweeters I have mounted in the original brackets. Not the best setup, so I may just change it a little. But at least it looks original.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

C'mon... someone must know what's going on with these new brackets as Babaluoie describes.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navaros911
Babaluoie: that's interesting... Do you have a partnumber for that?

So you actually fit the factory speaker grills directly over the basket. The basket then slides in the speaker hole and bolts/screws against the outside of the door card.

I would be fine with anything to put the grills on. Right now it is a bit of a naked sight. The tweeters I have mounted in the original brackets. Not the best setup, so I may just change it a little. But at least it looks original.
Well the possible explanation in my case is that my car has the Symphony RDS stereo option, which might come with different speakers to the vanilla stereo, and so the mounting lip for the speaker grille is built-in to the speaker itself.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

I'm starting to run out of ideas... Anything to hold up those grills would be good as long as it's not tape/glue.

At this moment all I can think of is to roam around in a diy store and see if there is anuthing there that may fuel my creativity.

Has anybody put hose grills on in any other way?

Thanks,
M
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this recently. Bolted the OEM ring to the door card by using nuts and washers on the back of the door card; original grill then just clips on as usual. I then screwed the replacement 6.5" (as opposed to the orig I think 5.5") speaker directly into the door metal.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
I did this recently. Bolted the OEM ring to the door card by using nuts and washers on the back of the door card; original grill then just clips on as usual.
The problem with this is that I don't have the OEM ring as you refer to it...

So I need to have something fabricated or dream something up and then make it invisible behind the grills (that would not be too hard with some black primer).

Anybody who has the original grills, without the OEM ring?

Last edited by Navaros911; 08-18-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Has nobody done this before? (factory speaker grills)