Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added cat bypass, should I update Wong Chip?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am changing the chip to include the following items:

1. 93 octane
2. Cat bypass
3. Primary bypass

There is no new update to the existing software that I am aware of. I just want the chip to match the setup of the car so I can reap the maximum benefits (performance and drivability).
Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, thanks... From the wording on his website I didn't think specifying the primary bypass mattered --->"with or without a muffler bypass"
Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed, the website is confusing and I had to study it more than I should've to figure out what I needed to buy. I wish he would attach model #'s to the chips so you could choose between discrete products.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like no Wonger for me I was hoping for a plug and play, but apparently I must get rid of my MAF sensor setup and revert to stock to make any sense(at least financially). I'm starting to hate on the PO for installing that contraption! Oh well, guess i'll run lean for a while.

Last edited by bmohr; 07-26-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bmohr
Looks like no Wonger for me I was hoping for a plug and play, but apparently I must get rid of my MAF sensor setup and revert to stock to make any sense(at least financially). I'm starting to hate on the PO for installing that contraption! Oh well, guess i'll run lean for a while.
Why do you state that? I have a MAF Intake, Fabspeed dual exhaust and it's a TIP. Steve can custom make my chip by supplying him with an Air/Fuel map.

I will be doing that right after my rebuild so I get the maximum benefit from the upgrades.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmohr
Hmmm...why do you think your car "might be running lean" ?

Did you ever perform a rolling road session with wide band lambda reading to check whether this is the case??

Why do you insist on spending money on a Wong chip and even revert back to a barn door type air metering device? Why do you call a MAF a contraption?

A well setup MAF conversion performs very well. Why not book a rolling road power run / lambda monitoring session? This costs very little money and then you at least KNOW what's going on.

When fuelling is found to be off in places with the right Motronic emulator software the dyno operator can alter fuel mapping on the fly and burn you a new prom afterwards.

Shouldn't cost more than $250,- and gives you a nice dyno printout as well ;-)
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, let me try to answer these questions with a response from Steve himself because it would be lame coming from an inexperienced noobatron like myself.

Thanks for your inquiry. I think your lean running conditions have more to do with the mismetering of the MAF sensor you have compared to the stock air flow meter. The output signal curve of the MAF is not the same as the stock meter and will cause severe signal output differences to what is expected, which affects not only fuel metering, but the load input signal to determine what ignition timing to use as it is dynamic under part throttle depending on the load percentage. The effect of the throttle body is miniscule compared to the MAF.

My suggesting is that you should reinstall the stock flow meter and get the proper chip installed to match and that is guaranteed to work very well and much better than what you have now. If you really want to keep your MAF, then we can only try to make it work a little better but likely won't be completely optimized in certain areas as developing software to work with a particular MAF is a major development effort that normally takes weeks of R&D time both on the dyno and on road to fine tune out all issues, so doing this remotely with a couple of dyno run charts you may send me can only rough it in. Or you can bring the car here and I can try to do what I can with a live dyno session. A standard chip for a 964 is $375, but any custom chip for the MAF is $595, and live mapping is up from there. Let me know what you prefer and if you have any questions.

Me: That being stated, if I could optimize my setup for 250 bucks I would very much like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Added cat bypass, should I update Wong Chip?