Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to drive in europe

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Sure it does until you google "speeding in switzerland"...
i think there´s no problem with speeding on this kind of streets in switzerland. The limit should also be at 90 oder 100 km/h and, for example on stelvio, you´re not able to drive so fast realy often.

On my trip to umbrail an stelvio last weekend, i had no cars in front of me when driving from umbrail in switzerland up to the stelvio. I drove at half past seven in the evening and on the top of the selvio, we were alone too.

You could also to the area of monaco (with glockner, stelvio or timmelsjoch on the tour) and the cruising to the see-alps between frace and italiy. The Col de la Bonette, 100km westward from turin is the highest mountain pass ins the alps...

There are many possiblities there...

Have fun.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I live in Switzerland. I always chuckle when I read the horror stories about speeding.
Yes they are very strict. Where it matters. On a sunny sunday on the well run roads with coaches and families. In towns. In road construction areas.

But I have been driving the alps for over 20 years. Stopped once, and got a warning, nothing else.

Drive with your brains, and you won't get in trouble in the Swiss Alps. In many passes it is impossible to drive faster than the allowed 80 KpH anyway.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the UK you could cruise to Santander, follow the sea to the French border, and then follow the French/Spanish border to Collioure (lots of passes there).
Then drive back to the UK through Dordogne.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
I live in Switzerland. I always chuckle when I read the horror stories about speeding.
Yes they are very strict. Where it matters. On a sunny sunday on the well run roads with coaches and families. In towns. In road construction areas.

But I have been driving the alps for over 20 years. Stopped once, and got a warning, nothing else.

Drive with your brains, and you won't get in trouble in the Swiss Alps. In many passes it is impossible to drive faster than the allowed 80 KpH anyway.
I guess I must have been unlucky then but last time I drove through Switzerland I got 2 tickets for doing 120 km/h... and I was by no means driving fast or being reckless. Been going through Austria ever since. Or maybe they just treat people with foreign plates differently.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuscany964
I guess I must have been unlucky then but last time I drove through Switzerland I got 2 tickets for doing 120 km/h... and I was by no means driving fast or being reckless. Been going through Austria ever since. Or maybe they just treat people with foreign plates differently.
Raises the obvious question: Where?
If it was on an 80 Km/h road, you were going 50% over, which is likely too much.
If it was on a road work area on the highway, it was well deserved.

Quick Reply: Best place to drive in europe