Sponsored by:

Right window stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right window stuck

Just got home and when I went to put the windows up the driver side window went up fine but the passenger side window won't go up or down, I also just noticed the switch to the passenger window thats mounted on the driver side door feels a bit loose. The switch mounted on the passenger door also doesn't* work.

How should I go about troubleshooting this?

Last edited by Moffman; 07-11-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you've already figured out the problem! The passenger window switch on the drivers door is bad. Very common. You could pop it off and replace it with one of the other switches that works, to confirm that it really is the switch that is the problem.

Or, if it were me, I'd stick with the assumption... and just purchase a replacement. Easy DIY.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moffman
..., I also just noticed the switch to the passenger window thats mounted on the driver side door feels a bit loose. The switch mounted on the passenger door also works...?
Pull the driver's door switch for the passenger window and jumper it to see if you can trigger the window. Or swap wires with the driver's door window switch and see what works. Hopefully just the driver's door switch for the passenger window.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Moffman
Racer

Sorry typo I meant the passenger window switch also doesn't work.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC the passenger's side switch is wired in series with the driver's side switch...so if the driver's side switch fails, the one mounted on the passenger's side wont work (even if the switch is good).
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by ChaseN
IIRC the passenger's side switch is wired in series with the driver's side switch...so if the driver's side switch fails, the one mounted on the passenger's side wont work (even if the switch is good).
Hmm so its still possible its just the switch? How do I go about removing the switch without damaging everything surrounding it.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I'd 99% bet its the switch...these things are a complete joke of a design IMO. When you replace it, I suggest going with a cheapy aftermarket one off ebay...MUCH cheaper than the real thing and last just as long in my experience (I must be hard on them, I go through about 1 a year whether Genuine Porsche or aftermarket). May as well replace all 3 while you're at it, they ARE going to break sooner than later (as you've seen) and you can pick 3 of the copies up for about the price of 1 OEM switch.

As far as pulling it out, just stick a thin flathead under the lip of the switch and pull towards you. They aren't held in by anything but tension, and if you use a bit of care it's pretty much impossible to screw anything up...

Once you get the old one out, take it apart and have a looksee inside at the fine German engineering.

(can you tell these switches **** me off? Yes I have been caught in a torrential downpour trying to swap around the 1 working switch to roll up all the windows )

'84-'91 BMW 3-series switches fit the holes, and one of these days I'm gonna retrofit my 964 with those. Much more durable & still look period.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Moffman
Racer

I'd 99% bet its the switch...these things are a complete joke of a design IMO. When you replace it, I suggest going with a cheapy aftermarket one off ebay...MUCH cheaper than the real thing and last just as long in my experience (I must be hard on them, I go through about 1 a year whether Genuine Porsche or aftermarket). May as well replace all 3 while you're at it, they ARE going to break sooner than later (as you've seen) and you can pick 3 of the copies up for about the price of 1 OEM switch.

As far as pulling it out, just stick a thin flathead under the lip of the switch and pull towards you. They aren't held in by anything but tension, and if you use a bit of care it's pretty much impossible to screw anything up...

Once you get the old one out, take it apart and have a looksee inside at the fine German engineering.

(can you tell these switches **** me off? Yes I have been caught in a torrential downpour trying to swap around the 1 working switch to roll up all the windows )
Its funny I was just thinking how lucky I was it didn't start raining when I was out.

They aren't held in by anything but tension, and if you use a bit of care it's pretty much impossible to screw anything up...
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moffman
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

You might be able to get at it with your fingernail too...Thats all I need any more (though I have RS door panels without the little rectangular metal reinforcement thingies regular door panels have)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Moffman
Racer

You might be able to get at it with your fingernail too...Thats all I need any more (though I have RS door panels without the little rectangular metal reinforcement thingies regular door panels have)
Alright I got it out how to I disconnect it from the "wire assembly" I don't see any clip or anything and to be honest I'm quite hesitant about just pulling things apart on this Porsche.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

there are two clips, one on either long side of the connector - my suggestion: stick a flat head in between the connector & the switch body (on one of the short sides) and twist the screwdriver till they start to seperate, then once the start to come apart, switch to the other short end and do the same there...they'll pop apart easy. There really isnt much to be afraid of.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Moffman
Racer

there are two clips, one on either long side of the connector - my suggestion: stick a flat head in between the connector & the switch body (on one of the short sides) and twist the screwdriver till they start to seperate, then once the start to come apart, switch to the other short end and do the same there...they'll pop apart easy. There really isnt much to be afraid of.
Alright thanks alot I appreciate it. Now if I remove the driver side window switch thats mounted on the driver door and place that on the passenger window that should work if it is only the switch correct?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Put the known good switch in the passenger's switch location on the driver's side door. That should tell you real quick what the problem is.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Moffman
Racer

Well I told you I'd ef something up and I managed too. When I was removing the switch I took off the cover to the little connector/plugs and when I removed the switch the connector/plugs came out of the "holder" if you will and now I don't know where each one goes in the "holder".
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Uh oh. Got a minute? I'll take a pic and upload it to help you get it back together...

Quick Reply: Right window stuck