Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting out with a 964

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken - great collection of Porsches. What's your story? How old where u when you got your first? When did you start racing? I'd love to be at that point in about 10 years.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SaveMeA550
Ken - great collection of Porsches. What's your story? How old where u when you got your first? When did you start racing? I'd love to be at that point in about 10 years.
18, and a bizarre combination of engine parts left me with a broken engine 3 months later in the middle of a 12 hour rally. (Which were more like street racing back then.) Of which me rebuilding it led to my first "pro" mechanic job/track crewing duties. Then, after college I opened a Porsche/BMW shop for a few years before I went to law school. During law school I had a niche keeping 2.7L era 911s on the road. Wasn't pretty, but I made money. Still basically have a pro level shop at one of my warehouses in extra space at one of my businesses. And since the economy sucks, I have a lot of time to mess around with the fleet............

21 for actual racing, though not in a Porsche until I was almost 40. But lots of time trial/DE action in my 911 and various customer Porsches while I was racing a Scirocco, RX7, and the occasional formula car if someone would give me a seat.

Life's different now, but there is opportunity to hang out at the track and get to know guys if you're persistent.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

Originally Posted by race911
18, and a bizarre combination of engine parts left me with a broken engine 3 months later in the middle of a 12 hour rally. (Which were more like street racing back then.) Of which me rebuilding it led to my first "pro" mechanic job/track crewing duties. Then, after college I opened a Porsche/BMW shop for a few years before I went to law school. During law school I had a niche keeping 2.7L era 911s on the road. Wasn't pretty, but I made money. Still basically have a pro level shop at one of my warehouses in extra space at one of my businesses. And since the economy sucks, I have a lot of time to mess around with the fleet............

21 for actual racing, though not in a Porsche until I was almost 40. But lots of time trial/DE action in my 911 and various customer Porsches while I was racing a Scirocco, RX7, and the occasional formula car if someone would give me a seat.

Life's different now, but there is opportunity to hang out at the track and get to know guys if you're persistent.
That's awesome! I turn 32 tomorrow and told myself when I was in college that I'd have my first Porsche by the time I was 27 and then get married at 28. Well, things didn't quite turn out as I planned with the Porsche and ended up meeting my wife when I was 21 and got married at 22. 2 kids later, both girls, and live-in mother in law- I think it's time daddy got his! I don't golf, I don't have much in the way of hobbies, I work 60 hours a week - in retail no less - so seeing a Porsche in my driveway, everyday will be like the feeling of hitting the game winning, buzzer-beater shot every time I look outside. Pinch me so I know it's real!!!

Thx for all your feedback!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

...so seeing a Porsche in my driveway, everyday will be like the feeling of hitting the game winning, buzzer-beater shot every time I look outside. Pinch me so I know it's real!!!
Your perspective shows that you deserve this! It's nice to hear your appreciation for what you will soon be experiencing. I still feel very similar after 9 years of ownership.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome! I turn 32 tomorrow and told myself when I was in college that I'd have my first Porsche by the time I was 27 and then get married at 28. Well, things didn't quite turn out as I planned with the Porsche and ended up meeting my wife when I was 21 and got married at 22. 2 kids later, both girls, and live-in mother in law- I think it's time daddy got his! I don't golf, I don't have much in the way of hobbies, I work 60 hours a week - in retail no less - so seeing a Porsche in my driveway, everyday will be like the feeling of hitting the game winning, buzzer-beater shot every time I look outside. Pinch me so I know it's real!!!

Thx for all your feedback!
Racing and golf are my two big things. Skiing again (boarding, too, just this season). Put 10K miles on the 4S going to/from the Sierras over the winter. I've spammed the various forums with plenty of snow pictures, won't bother everyone yet again.

Biggest thing I see with "family guy" enjoyment of the cars is to involve the family. No, doesn't necessarily mean your wife becoming a track rat. Just that she (and the children) feel that your hobby is accessible to them. Lost many a customer over the years because of "the wife." I know I was lucky to get the giddiness out of my system basically before I even went out on a date, and have enjoyed the cars at a pretty high level ever since. Having no kids, I can't speak to the walling off of a hobby though. What I do know is that the families/couples that enjoy the cars together tend to become lifers.

Well, off with my sweetie for Grand Am at Laguna tomorrow. With the BMW (to park in the corral, with it being in a preferred location)........
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

SaveMe,
I live in carrboro, 964s are few and far between around here, so feel free to contact me and come over and check out the car. At this point any seat time with the car is super important...can 't write more....
I'm at the airport heading to montreal. Talk to you next week.
Best. Udo
...so I'llbe out of townfor a week, but come over afterwards...
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
SaveMe,
I live in carrboro, 964s are few and far between around here, so feel free to contact me and come over and check out the car. At this point any seat time with the car is super important...can 't write more....
I'm at the airport heading to montreal. Talk to you next week.
Best. Udo
...so I'llbe out of townfor a week, but come over afterwards...
Great! I dont see many of them around town. Email me - littledabldooya@live.com - when you get back and we'll get together.

Thx!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone PMd me asking about the sort of things that were found in the PPI, so here they are:

The PPI cost $650 and took pretty much all day.

Quick Reply: Starting out with a 964