Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting out with a 964

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 PM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff!!! The PPI's a must. I really didn't realize they cost that much! Especially if I end up doing multiple ones until I find the "right" one.

I'm really diggin a black or white coupe. Any real benefits with a C4 vs the 2 wheel drive?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaveMeA550
Great stuff!!! The PPI's a must. I really didn't realize they cost that much! Especially if I end up doing multiple ones until I find the "right" one.
Before the PPI, I had negotiated a price with the seller, and we agreed that the price would be adjusted for any major items found in the PPI. It is still a risk however, in case you can't come to agreement on the repair items.

But the mechanic said that with any 964, being a 20yr old car, the list of findings usually runs to a couple of pages (mine was only a quarter of a page!) and so the PPIs almost always pay for themselves.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by campoj2
Plan to spend 6 months (or more) finding the "right" 964.
Definitely this!

Also, your search is going to have to be nation wide and it's going to have to be treated like a full-time job. Great value cars get snatched up ridiculously quick. I'm talking under 24hrs quick.

If you're looking for a C2 coupe, $20-25k should get you a nice car. If you're looking for a C4 coupe, then $20-25k should get your a really nice car (not a widebody tho).

I'll send you a PM w/ lots of tips and leads to help your search.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

My stomach is starting to hurt! I love it!! I already have a full-time job! But I'm starting to like this one better!! LOL!!!

C2 vs the C4. Why would the C2 be more affordable? I always thought the AWD was more expensive. Or do I have it backwards.

Thx Vandit for the links!!

J
Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by f3nr15
This 5-speed C2 coupe seems lovely - a bit pricey, though, and on the wrong side of the continent to you

1992 C2 Manual Coupe at Star City Motors
That car's been for sale for at least three months through those guys.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

C2's cost a little more on the used market but when they where new they had a lower MSRP.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Grazie
Instructor

My inputs after spending 18mo. on my search (which just ended :-):
-spend as much time as possible reading this forum....the more you know about these vehicles the better off you'll be
-sign up for auto emails updates from classified websites For all 964s that come on the market. Also, build and check frequently a list of good sites and sources for these cars. (PM for list) You will quickly get a good idea of availability and prices....in addition to finding your car
-as said above, don't skip the PPI, despite the upfront cost (I paid for PPIs on 3 cars, first 2 revealed things about the car I didn't know - well worth all three to know what I got)
-buy the books you plan to once you own your 964 and read them now (my list included not only books on Porsche and 911s in general, but also "technical data without guesswork" and "enthusiasts companion")
-drive several cars....some feel very different and after several you'll be able to get a good idea within a few miles about the car you're driving
-start with an open mind as to options, color, model, body....then decide what you like you go through research and driving them. I thought at first I wanted a '92-'94 w/black interior...I ended up happily with a '91 with flags, D90s and tan interior. Conversely, at one point I decided I'd be open to a c4. When I drove them, I found they feel (to me) very different, and that I preferred a c2. Rest assured, not saying one is better, just quite different.
-make it fun. It requires patience and persistence. If it isn't fun for you or you are in a hurry, you might consider paying top dollar from a reputable "dealer" that specializes in thes cars for a mint car...but still do the PPI.
Good luck with the search - you'll love it once you get it.

-
Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

Awesome - thx!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 AM
SaveMeA550
Intermediate

Do I have to become a member to PM someone?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by candela
Hey Jason, I'm still waiting on my perfect 964 as well.... I would say your budget is more than adequate for a quality 964. Stick around awhile, read up on all of the common issues, and have fun with it.... if a 993 is what you truly want, it may be worth it to save just a little more and make it happen - at the end of the day, it will be the car you go to look at everyday, and it's important to get the one you really want.
I agree! Goodluck, and have fun!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you intend to use the car for? If you plan on taking it to the track, A C2 coupe is your best bet.
If you plan on just tooling around and enjoying life, a C4 cab may be best, and here's why.

For a new 911 owner, the C4 is clearly the safer option.
Yes it weighs more. Yes there are more components that can go wrong.
Yes, you need a special tool to bleed the locks, but it is much harder to spin the car off the road, and it kicks *** on a wet road. Safety first, etc etc.

Why a cab? 911 purists want a C2 Coupe. Despite having a much higher sticker price, the C4 cab can be had for much less than a C2 Coupe. Cabs generally are lower mileage garage queens compared to C2s.
Yes the cab weighs more and has less rigidity in the body, there are ton of moving roof parts, that can get expensive to fix. however, a top down ride on twisty mountain roads makes that all seem irrelevant.

Regarding 993 vs 964. You have too look at both in the same color and decides which one moves you.
This is a purchase of passion. You have to fall in love every time you turn on the garage light. The classic 964 shape does that for me. Please think about how you will use the car, and the rest will fall into place.

<Edit> If you are planning on kids and car seats in the back, the Coupe is a better, safer option, btw.

Last edited by Laker; 07-08-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: kids
Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laker
What do you intend to use the car for? If you plan on taking it to the track, A C2 coupe is your best bet.
If you plan on just tooling around and enjoying life, a C4 cab may be best, and here's why.

For a new 911 owner, the C4 is clearly the safer option.
Yes it weighs more. Yes there are more components that can go wrong.
Yes, you need a special tool to bleed the locks, but it is much harder to spin the car off the road, and it kicks *** on a wet road. Safety first, etc etc.

Why a cab? 911 purists want a C2 Coupe. Despite having a much higher sticker price, the C4 cab can be had for much less than a C2 Coupe. Cabs generally are lower mileage garage queens compared to C2s.
Yes the cab weighs more and has less rigidity in the body, there are ton of moving roof parts, that can get expensive to fix. however, a top down ride on twisty mountain roads makes that all seem irrelevant.

Regarding 993 vs 964. You have too look at both in the same color and decides which one moves you.
This is a purchase of passion. You have to fall in love every time you turn on the garage light. The classic 964 shape does that for me. Please think about how you will use the car, and the rest will fall into place.
Well executed! My C4 I beg to differ will be lighter! but quicker than a C2 on fast road use and will spin!hehehe

No serious, laker is right!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

superuser thank you she is prestine and took me a long tiome to find her
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't sell it Wellcraft. You'll miss it at next year's BBQ still to be held at your place!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
it is much harder to spin the car off the road, and it kicks *** on a wet road.
Spin a car driving on the street? Uh huh. Yeah, it happens. Yeah, it's driver error. If you're in doubt, or your skill level isn't there, go slower.

The 10K I put on the 4S over the winter (probably 2K actually IN the snow), the only times I felt AWD was a necessity was getting the car unstuck from the snow when I'd come back to the parking lot after skiing. Previously, with the '92 C4 years ago, over the 4 winters I used it in the Sierras going to/fro our house in Reno (and ski duty from there) + one snowstorm from hell across Nevada to Utah, the tires are what made the difference.

And yeah, I drove the '92 C4 in the wet on track and qual/raced the RSA in the rain a couple of times. Again, tires.

Quick Reply: Starting out with a 964