Sponsored by:

dash trim removal - ignition/headlight switch area

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dash trim removal - ignition/headlight switch area

How do you remove this section of trim? I've found a couple of possible replacements on ebay (new part is >£300) for mine which has some damage, but I can't see how it's held in place.

Just, I don't want to buy a replacement if I'm likely to damage other bits of trim fitting it.

I couldn't find anything in search but maybe I'm not using the right terms...
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Removal of the knee bolster may help.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for that, but its not the knee bolster i'm looking at, its the bit outlined in red.

Feeling behind the panel I can feel the back of the ignition and headlight switch and the metal frame that their mounted into, is the trim just stuck onto the front of the metal panel?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to do the other side. Once I removed the ccu, radio, and the acc switches I just got a utility knife blade behind it to break the glue. Then just slowly pulled it off - I kinda destroyed the old one but it was damaged anyway. Then just glued the new one in place.

So I'm betting that piece is glued to the metal dash frame as well.

I also removed the steering wheel and collar BTW, I would look around for a used replacement. I found two at very different prices and used the less expensive piece which was near perfect.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 231 Posts

These parts were glued on with a two pack adhesive at the factory apparently.
They're difficult to remove without damaging the foam backing. Take you're time using a long, sharp thin bladed knife. This is the best method to cut them away from the dash itself.

David at Southbound can recommend which glue to use to reapply the new items, once mixed and applied it only gives you a couple of minutes to align the parts though !

He suggests using as many of the switches as possible to ensure the panels are in the correct postion before the glue goes off.

I'd suggest you do a couple of trial dry runs to make sure everything fits perfectly.

Good luck !
Old 07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys, sounds slighty scary, not sure i trust myself with long sharp knives working on the interior, i suspect am quite likely to slip and accidentally stab something else

Quick Reply: dash trim removal - ignition/headlight switch area