Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace my original coils that are on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I replace my original coils that are on the car?

I noticed the other night while the car was running that my spark plug wires are bad. I seen little sparks arching off one another on wires on the distributor caps. I have a new set ordered just waiting on them to show up. I decided to look at the coils and im 100 percent positive they are the originals. That means they have 150,000 miles on them. They look nasty. But they both seem to be working. I checked them by disconnecting one at a time and the car ran off of each one. Should I go ahead and replace these also? Ive read on here alot of yall have gained more power after you changed your coils. I dont have the christmas tree effect but sometimes when im getting on the car hard right when I shift sometimes all the warning lights will flash for a brief second. Would you consider that the christmas tree effect? Its only done that about five times. Any advise will be appreciated. TIA
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I did my coils, plugs , plug wires, distributor caps/rotors at 100k (3 months ago) Plugs were OK, wires were shot (like yours)

Performance and gas mileage greatly increased so I would say yes, change out the coils
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Black Bosch coils are made in Germany. Silver ones are made in Brazil. If you can find the black ones, get them even if they cost more.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your coils are working keep them . As long as they are doing their job , they are doing their job .

Or , you should replace them asap and send the old ones to me .
Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also in the mornings when I go to work I usually gotta start it twice for it to run. It will crank then die and then I will crank it again and then it will run. Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
If your coils are working keep them . As long as they are doing their job , they are doing their job ...
Fair enough, but if I had to do new wires, I'd do new coils, dist. caps and rotors too.
Coils don't last a lifetime. PM me your address if you want my old rotors.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my original coils that are on the car?