Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Suggestions

My long legs cause my knees to interfere with the steering wheel during clutching and some turn ins. This really upsets my concentration while driving. Tried all combinations of seat position. I am now considering installing a smaller diameter wheel and a spacer. My main use of the car is street with occassional autocross. If I had more confidence handling the car, I'd consider a few track days as well. This is my ultimate goal.

1) any suggestions as to which wheel works well? Does the Momo adapter (for a 964) really have to be reworked to fit??

2) I think I saw somewhere on the internets aftermarket wheels that would accept a Porsche crest. Any experience here?

2) Anyone use a non-airbag wheel and still pass inspections?? (I'm in VA, USA). This is main reason for the Porsche crest. A stock look doesn't raise suspicions.

Thanks,

Dan
'90 C4
Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my experience ....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...erturismo.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ing-wheel.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-on-964-a.html
Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 236 Posts

In a LHD 964 RS the ONLY wheel I feel comfortable is one of these :

http://motorspeed.com/store_main.asp...roduct_id=2271

Or the officially sanctioned version (fourth item down) here :

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo...sche_momo.html

Order from Gert at Carnewal if you decide you want this item. The Porscheshops' service leaves a LOT to be desired . . .

They feel quite thin rimmed compared with other wheels, but with the 70mm offset they should give your knees some clearance.

I'm 5'10" and have to sit close the wheel on the RS because being LHD it had unassisted steering and requires a fair amount of effort to turn in tighter corners. A straight arm driving postion just doesn't give you the required leverage as the front end loads up and the steering weight increases.

My first RS had a factory supplied spacer for the OE wheel, IIRC it was only 30mm though.

The Momo wheel will accept a Porsche crested horn push too
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
RobertF
Intermediate

I'm planning on changing my steering wheel for the same reason – I’m 6’2”. If you haven't already moved your seat location to the back holes you might consider this also. I did it yesterday and was surprised how easy it was and how much improvement it made. One Allen wrench and twenty minutes was all it took.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Check out FVD-US. They carry Aitwe, which is the RUF wheel without Ruf on the airbag. The kit should come with the proper hub as well.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the momo - Here is mine in leather.

Great wheel, the offset makes for a better driving position, and you can see the gauges more easily. And personally I love the holes in the spokes - they give an old school racing nostalgia to the wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:02 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

I have the momo 07 on my 964 as well. It was my first mod on the car.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Momo Mod 07 for me too. Full suede. The plastic clam shell (top and bottom) have to be shaved/sanded a bit to keep the Momo hub from rubbing and binding the wheel. It is not difficult, just be patient when sanding.

Now if I can only get the damn horn to work all the time......
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Momo wheel is so gorgeous! If I wasn't so sure that the airbag would probably save my life someday, I'd get the prototipo wheel in a heartbeat.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 178 Posts

"If I wasn't so sure that the airbag would probably save my life someday, I'd get the prototipo wheel in a heartbeat. "

Interesting. Consider the following from what I know, and it's not much. Do not consider this expert opinion. It is not a recommendation in any way. Make your own decisions.

These bags were engineered, at the time, with the unrestrained passenger foremost in mind. Now days when most folks are better at being restrained, (wearing a belt), the engineering has been redirected with protecting the restrained victim foremost.

The older bags have been around for 20 years and some of the systems have become a bit fussy. There are cases where they have exploded inadvertently, sometimes resulting in injury.

Some people remove or disable them as a safety measure. Certainly the folks who track them significantly do.

Consult your attorney, physician, engineer, wife and draw your own conclusions carefully either way.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

So, those of you with the Mod 7 wheel, you don't feel like its too close to you?

I have a Mod 7 sitting on my shelf from my former 911, but in that car I felt like the wheel was too close to me, and I could barely reach the stalks with my finger tips.

I guess I should just get a hub and try it...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM
alanp
Instructor

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
So, those of you with the Mod 7 wheel, you don't feel like its too close to you?

I have a Mod 7 sitting on my shelf from my former 911, but in that car I felt like the wheel was too close to me, and I could barely reach the stalks with my finger tips.

I guess I should just get a hub and try it...
I'd be interested in that also. Too close would not be good.

AP
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The stalks are further away, but after a few drives, you acclimate quickly. No issues for me. Although 140kph to 160kph on the speedo is a bit obscured.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Momo Mod 07 will bring the steering wheel closer to you which will help put the knee bend behind the wheel. It really does help - I'm 6'3" and had the same issues. The only modifications for me other than overriding the airbag system was a slight trimming of the pastic casing around the steering column as the Mod 07 hub was rubbing the plastic.

Absolutely love the steering wheel for street and track driving.

-Skip
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 178 Posts

Is it suede or leather? I may be interested if you want to try to get something more conventional.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Suggestions