Sponsored by:

Open Steel Lug Nuts for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
It's fine to use them, but I've never seen a stock lug fail even in competition. Ever. Since 1980. Lug nut requirement came into being because one too many dumb asses piled on spacers without regard to whether there was enough thread engagement. Then the above reference to easy tech inspection makes perfect sense. (I had one guy with an ex-factory race car try to pass my tech with stacked fender washers between the hub and wheel. Bitched to high heaven that some 21 y.o. dared send him home.)

So what do tech people do now on the cars with lug bolts??
Absolutely true.

The stock alloy lug nuts (factory ones, not aftermarket unless you KNOW what they are made from) are just fine unless one is using spacers wider than 3mm. Like Ken, I've never seen a failure of a factory one in 37+ years.

We use steel ones on race/track cars mostly to avoid scratching the alloy ones and allowing use to confirm proper thread engagement. Remember, these come off & on the car far more times than normal street use does so thats a major consideration.

I don't do tech inspections, however I'd be looking for wheel spacers and if I found them, I'd confirm that longer bolts were being used.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Steve, that 914-6 GT episode that I mentioned above (which I'll never forget) was an ex-Monte Shelton car that had found its way to AZ. I'm sure one of many, though.

Quick Reply: Open Steel Lug Nuts for DE?