Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it stay or should it go now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With what TVR and their cars (used to) stand for is the exact opposite of Porsche´s philosophy. They both might be quick but the cars are vastly different. If you can obtain a TVR for considerable money and are willing to use it in the way you can then go for it. I have the feeling though that you are lusting for something that is even less compromised than the 964. It is up to you how long that feeling is going to last...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 AM
jamest
Instructor

How about something with a little more engineering sophistication?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM
jamest
Instructor

Actually, the Sagaris is the one TVR that has appeal to me so I can understand your cravings. I personally would not buy one because the build quality issues and general reliability worries would mar the ownership experience for me but they are a certainly a special car.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was speaking to Russ from Pro-Porsche about changing mine for a newer model and he mentioned that they had a list of customers on the hunt for a nice 964 so if you decide to sell it might be worth giving them a call and letting them know.

Personally I wouldn't change a 964 for any TVR. The reliability issues have already been mentioned but just to add to that there are loads of TVR's that come out on our local peak district drives and tunnel runs and whilst some of them have had no problems the majority have had major issues and the large bills that go along with.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking for a change, I kept my 964 and picked up a Cayman S.
Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

That would be the perfect answer unfortunately I am not able to afford both. I should have owrked harder at school

ps streetfighter I sold the gixxer I tried doing track days on it because my riding was becoming a liability thinking it would slow me down. It made me worse so i was either going to die or get locked up. It had to go.
Boy do I miss it.

Last edited by Pesty; 06-08-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

At this year's annual Porsche RS day at Oulton Park there were 60+ Porsches. One chap got a cancellation at the last minute and took his Sagaris along. It was mighty quick and well driven. There was only one red flag stoppage in the morning session......which was caused by the Sagaris breaking down on track and having to be towed in.

Just a little anecdote to amuse you.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
rarebear
Racer

if you want a plastic car, go for a Corvette C06 , they don't break down and are blistering fast
(don't ask how I know) but I would not swap my 964 for anything ! (maybe a 997 RS3 would do)
I also heard rumours that TVR is now owned by a Russian !!!! better buy a MIG then !
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
At this year's annual Porsche RS day at Oulton Park there were 60+ Porsches. One chap got a cancellation at the last minute and took his Sagaris along. It was mighty quick and well driven. There was only one red flag stoppage in the morning session......which was caused by the Sagaris breaking down on track and having to be towed in.

Just a little anecdote to amuse you.

I know, I know. I have a worse story than that but research shows the Sagaris to be a little better than the others.

The first air field day I went to IIRC 7 TVRs' were supposed to be there 4 didn't make it because of breakdowns. 2 broke down at the track and the third cars rear window blew out at 170mph I remember reading that also either broke down on the way back or in the next few days. there were of course loads of P cars there going round and round all day.

Right Im keeping this until I can afford a GT3
Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
la crosse
Advanced

I'd go for the TVR. I believe you should get what you want when you want it. You can ALWAYS buy a Porsche. They are quite common. Maybe not a 964 when you are ready again, but there will be a Porsche that will suit you when you are done with the TVR. The TVRs will not be around for much longer. Get one now. As far as sorting out the cars; all it takes is money.

Also, the TVR is one bad *** machine. It looks incredible and has REAL power. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

I agree you should't buy a sports car because it is the most rational car, because they all aren't. However wouldn't comparing 5k rebuild costs to 10-15k Porsche rebuild is comparing strawberry to pencakes. Strawberries are more red, and pencakes are round too (usually). What I mean is a sorted TVR needs a rebuild every 50k miles average right (give or take 20k miles). A sorted Porsche 964 engine needs on every 150k miles (give or take 50k on the lower side and 100k and more on the high side).

Than again probably no one of us bought a 964 because it was the least expensive sports car we considered. Also if you live anywhere (not you topic starter) in the world else than UK, getting the right parts for maintenance/upgrading can be a handfull (and costly) I think.

The emotional aspect of me really likes TVR's too though
Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jamest
How about something with a little more engineering sophistication?

And it's better looking!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I'm sure you're aware of the terrible reputation TVRs have for reliability. Not to mention their tendency to throw you into a hedge at the slightest sign of dampness. Wouldn't be a wise move considering what you already own IMHO.
+1000
having driven several TVRs over the years, they are a hoot. - leery oversteery hoon mobiles :-)))) BUT you never want to own one if you have to pay for it's ongoing costs (my father used to fix them and has now retired to a life of gold plated luxury ;-)). Also minor things like ABS etc.
Keep the 964 :-)
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 426 Posts

You will always regret selling...until you get another one. I speak from experience. Don't do it.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched the video, and I think its a hot looking car.
I would go for it.

Life is short, and its shame not to try new things.

Kirk

Quick Reply: Should it stay or should it go now?