Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it stay or should it go now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should it stay or should it go now?

Thoughts please.

I love my 964 I have owned it for 7 ish years which is longer than any other car I have owned. I have spent a lot of time sorting buts out and I am obviously attached to the car as most of us are.

After seeing a TVR sagaris at a recent event and being reminded of them by somebody else I could just about afford one.

Now this is the only other car I would consider selling the 964 for. well other car I could afford.
(perfect car would be a 997 GT3,993 TT or 964 turbo but all those are way out of my price range)

Now the thing is I love this car and its all paid for and cost me very little to run a year and it still puts a smile on my face when I walk up to it.

But I am now lusting after a Sagaris. So what are your thoughts please, would I regret it?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my not-so-humble opinion, but that TVR is one ugly a$$ car. Being American, I didn't know what it was, so I Googled it. Couldn't get past the pics to look at the specs. (Sorry, you asked for it.)

On the other hand that's a beautiful example of a 964 in your avatar. Cobalt Blue! drool, drool. C4! Would trade you my car and a bucket of cash in a heartbeat.

The "costs you very little to run" could change drastically, but "put's a smile on your face when you walk up to it",..........priceless.

Also, I'm at the stage of my life where "it's all paid for" means a LOT.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the TVR Sagaris. I have a pic of an older TVR that I've saved. Not really sure which model it is, but I think it is a fantastic looking car. Not unlike the Sagaris, really, but older and better lines; to me, at least.

But, my opinion is of no import. You should get what you want.

I think the question should really be: Can you afford the Sagaris? And: Are you prepared to sort out another car?

I've spent six years sorting out my 964. It's nearly there. It still needs an A/C rebuild. Once done, I just can't see myself signing up for another $$orting out of another car; even that TVR that I lust after!

Good luck, either way!

Cheers
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by altarchsa
. (Sorry, you asked for it.)

Also, I'm at the stage of my life where "it's all paid for" means a LOT.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you I did and I apreciate it. Looks are obviously subjective and I think it looks a lot better in the flesh. Personaly I think they look fantastic but it is going to be one of those love it hate it cars.

I also hear you regarding the paid for comment and again this is a big issue for me. I'm not a gambling man and getting something else seems like a huge gamble.

One thing though if I don't do it now I never will, which is exactly what I was thinking when I bought this car. At the time I really stretched myself but it worked out.

take a look at this clip. Like I say its the only non P car I would consider.
ps 400BHP 0-60mph 3.8 top speed 180 ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tZF4OF3Ay4

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I think the question should really be: Can you afford the Sagaris? And: Are you prepared to sort out another car?
Afford it? yes. Justify it? now there is another question. There is always something else to spend the cash on. I felt guilty buying this car!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry for the hijack . . . I couldn't resist!
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I'm sure you're aware of the terrible reputation TVRs have for reliability. Not to mention their tendency to throw you into a hedge at the slightest sign of dampness. Wouldn't be a wise move considering what you already own IMHO.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went through your exact thought process. Though my 964 isn't perfect, it works for me, and it is sorted the way I like it. It isn't worth much, but it also isn't depreciating either. I think of it as an enjoyable waste of time, (as the black paint just won't quit collecting dings, swirls and other issues). It's mine, and paid for. (big advantage)

THOUGH... a friend of mine is selling the other lust car I have always wanted, a 2003 era MB 500SL. That car gives me pangs of lust beyond all reason- though I am sure you all would have hundreds of valid reasons why it's a bad idea... but who cares!?! I wants it! (Except its black too... what a pain)

I decided against it as the risks of major-service-issues-that-I-can't-fix-myself are very real. For me, the answer came down to "What do I have this car for?" and having a car I can't touch, or afford to fix goes against the rationale.

You can decide for yourself, but know that you have a really really nice example of a 964. But then, you only live the one time... I say go for it. ;-P
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Would't be a wise move considering how many times I have spun this either but I never claimed to be wise.

Bah I'll probably forget about the idea in a few days anyway and be extremely happy and grateful for what I have.

I think this is probably my 4th mid life crisis. I suppose I could always buy another bike. I kind of knew which way this thread would go which is probably why I posted it. I think I need to be talked out of doing somethign stupid.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Never heard of a TVR Sagaris until now, but curiosity got the best of me. My initial impressions were that it was hideously ugly - it looks like a collection of different, random body kits. A 16 year old's dream! But for me, a complete mess. But you are very right that appearances are subjective, and to each their own.

But upon further investigation, the performance looks spectacular. It shouldn't be surprising, considering the power and weight; but it looks like the suspension was well thought out. Here's a fun review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbO_CaGJXZ4

Performance-wise, it's no contest. The Sagaris is the higher performance option. If you are looking for a track toy that's good to go out of the box, then the TVR would be a lot of fun. But the 964 is a classic; is probably much better made than the TVR; and will only increase in value. All while proudly holding it's rightful and well-justified place in the legendary 911 line. I suspect that 10 years from now the Sagaris will be an afterthought.

I can understand the allure of the TVR. But for me, I'd keep the 964.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Do it, you can be rational later. I like the F.U. attitude it exudes.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm a die hard P-car nut. We can live vicariously through you and your posts ! Do it!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by christallon
Do it, you can be rational later. I like the F.U. attitude it exudes. .... We can live vicariously through you and your posts ! Do it!!!!!

Ok, that got me sold. I definitely think you should do it!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Here is how I look at it, you already have a Gixxer what more performance do you need? TVR are pretty cool cars and are very unique, but a 911 is and always be a classic. If it was me I would keep the 964, its paid and you mentioned maintenance has been easy, why mess up a good thing? When you get the craving to rip, jump on the Gixxer.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Pochi.X
Advanced

TVR maintenance gonna cost you more than your 964.

You know TVR isn't producing cars anymore, and their production line was limited and mostly distributed in the UK.

I'd say stick to the 964, unless you'll give it for free to me, I'll be thankful to you for the rest of my life!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

I will probably buy a Cerbera (TVR) at some point in my life. I think that car looks and sounds superb. However that will be at the moment that I do not mind when the engine fails massively, or for no obvious reasons it spins and is a total loss because of the crash.

Porsche invested a huge amount in getting the 964 so good as it is, and still then it has issues. TVR used probably a very small fraction of the development costs.

I read somewhere that many (English) TVR owners don't dare driving their TVR's to Le Mans because of their fair for reliability issues. I would (now) have a hard time buying a car which makes me consider things like that.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Do it, you can be rational later. I like the F.U. attitude it exudes.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm a die hard P-car nut. We can live vicariously through you and your posts ! Do it!!!!!

I like it.
A few more things into the mix

As for reliability the straight six and AJP 8 have a reputation as does general TVR reliability,

However the Sagaris was the last of the cars and is the most sorted. Some problems were solved in that itteration of engine

There are also other options out there. a company called TVR power will rebuild the engine for just over 5k and give you a three year warrenty. For just over 7k they will make it a 4.3 with big proven power and a 5 year warrenty. These guys have solved the know issues and stand behind their work.

The big end on my 964 (no.6) went which resulted in a full rebuild and it cost more than that and with only 6 month warenty and stayed standard.

One other thing TVR no longer exists. There are very few Sagaris out there and prices are rising I have a feeling it will very soon be out of my reach such is the speed in which it is happening.

That is not my main consideration but it is nice to know it should be a 'safe' place to put my money.

Quick Reply: Should it stay or should it go now?